GPS with NO data connection

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

light trip

Reaction score
I've gotten way more benefits from this website then I'll ever be able to give back, so when I see something that might be useful I've got to post it. I ran a keyword search and didn't see this anywhere.

I really like navigation, I check all the time on Google Play and iTunes for mapping and navigation apps. This week I found “MapFactor” for Android operating system.

This claims to be open source and free. I've been running for two days on an old SamSung Galaxy Player 4.0 (mp3 Player) model YP-G1 and a larger Samsung Galaxy tab 2, 7.0 inch, model GT-P3113. Neither of these devices have a cell connection, they have WiFi, GPS and Blue-tooth.

Both have been able to provide turn by turn voice navigation without a data connection (WiFi off, GPS on, Blue-Tooth off) without spending any money for the app or maps.

You can spend money on this app if you'd like by downloading maps from TomTom, but you don't have to spend a dime if you choose the open source maps,,, they are completely free. You'll of course need WiFi connection to get the app and maps. I've also seen ads during the download for open source maps, but that is the only place. While you're running the app I've not seen any ads, very acceptable. I've downloaded the 48 continuous states for the continental U.S. on both units and it was, again completely free. So far I haven't seen any in-app purchases, outside if you choose TomTom data over the open source maps.

If you have an Android tablet or phone you can get turn by turn directions using this app. Sorry if your using apple, I have an iPad as well and it doesn't appear this is available to iphone or iPad.

I've owned many GPS units since 1994 from Magelin, Garman, DeLorm and TomTom, both in car and hand-held, and have taken two GPS navigation courses. So far MapFactor looks pretty good.

Here's a link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator
and, nop I don't get anything just in case you're wondering.
mapfactor.jpg

Attachments

• mapfactor.jpg
    mapfactor.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 10
Just happen to have an Android that's not in service that I was looking for something like this.
Thanks for the info.

I'll report my results after I load and give it a try.

bindi&us, I'd like to hear how MapFactor works our for you. It seems to use a lot of resources (CPU power) but is working. I notice it seems to lag a bit, but only when I close the app on my (old) Android.

Another App (for both Android and Apple this time) I'm using is MapswithMePro. Although this doesn't navigate, it does show your location on the map and you can run searches.

Maps are downloaded to your unit and run off-line without the use of data.

The pro version does cost but it is completely off line mapping. I've been using the pro version for more then a year on both Androids and iPad and have gotten several map updates at no additional charge.

Note to iPad users: If anyone is planning on running this on an iPad, you should be aware that my iPad does not have a GPS receiver. This means, unlike my two Android units, it can't give you a location without Wifi. This does not effect your ability to view maps or run searches. In a city the iPad uses what is called “WiFi sourcing” to determine your location. You don't have to be connected to these WiFi sources, it just uses them to determined your location on the map.

The upside to this is it will work in very dense areas, including inside buildings and even shopping malls, without a clear view of the sky, and GPS. The downside is, while out on BLM land the app won't be able to determine your location.

For iPhone users, I suspect it will also use cell phone towers to determine your location on the map without the use of data, but as I don't have an iPhone I don't know this for sure.

Here's a link:
http://mapswith.me/en/home
Screenshot from 2014-03-03 10:29:18.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-03-03 10:29:18.jpg
    Screenshot from 2014-03-03 10:29:18.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 7
I haven't had a chance to download Map Factor yet. Funny you should mention it this morning....put it on my to do list for today just a few minutes ago.
Gotta get closer to my wifi source to get a worthy signal ;)

bindi&us - MapswithMe has a free version or trial if you have enough space on your Android for both apps. It's what convinced me to make the purchase for both my Androids and iPad,,, and at the time it was the best I could find. I'm working on more maps and navigation for this thread.

I've been testing a off line mapping app on an iPad II some of you might find useful. GPS CoPilot for your apple device will store maps off line provided you have enough storage space on your device for the maps and you use WiFi or your data plan to download them.

This is another app that is free, however, be warned the app does have in-app purchases. On my iPad I have "in-app" purchases turned off and protected with a password. You get the full functioning app, but after a couple weeks of testing one of the things you'll lose is the 3D map. No big deal, we all should be watching the road anyway and you still have the 2D maps. I've been testing this app for about three weeks and haven't spent one dime.

Okay, like MapFactor you download maps on the device you're using so this all works without a data connection. Unlike MapFactor and my two Androids, my iPad does not have a GPS receiver, to the best of my knowledge. At this point I would recommend you research a little to see if your iPhone, iPad, or iPod has a GPS receiver. Why? My iPad uses WiFi sourcing to determine my location. What this means, when I've tested any mapping and navigation apps, my iPad doesn't know my location without WiFi. As mention before, this doesn't always mean you have to be connected to WiFi, just be in a area with WiFi signals. I also suspect the app will use cell towers in the same way if you have an iPhone. Conclusion, if your in the middle of nowhere, you should have stopped when you got to the edge of nowhere and turned around.

I've also seen external GPS receivers for Apple devices, but also have read that you should make sure your app is compatible with the GPS receiver you're buying. I hope this helps many of you running Apple, even without location data, you can keep maps with you all the time.

Here's the website: http://copilotlive.com/us/

Measure the distance, not the words

To get an iPad that does true GPS using a satellite fix, you need to buy the iPad with WiFi/Cell capability. The true GPS circuitry is built into the cell chip. WiFi only models lack that circuitry and also don't have the necessary built-in antenna

WiFi only iPads use Wifi networks to determine location. The iPads with WiFi and cell capability use true GPS as well as AGPS (Assisted GPS). This (AGPS) uses WiFi as well as cell tower triangulation to achieve a position fix along with a satellite fix. This technology basically helps it determine position a little faster, as in a case where the iPad's GPS might be taking awhile to get a satellite fix.

So if you can have a WiFi/cell iPad, no data plan, leave the cell function turned off, you can still use software that accesses the iPad's built-in GPS receiver.

...I hope that's clear as mud! :rolleyes:

I think I get it. If you have an iDevice with cell service, iPhone, iPad, iPod you have a GPS receiver, even if you don't activate the service. So if you happened to be in the middle of nowhere the device with cell service can still determine your location, even if cell service is out of range or not activated.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Easiest thing to do is get a Garmin or TomTom standalone GPS device, especially when it's on sale for less than $100. The standalone GPS devices (versus a cell phone) do not require cellular service, hence no monthly fee. Plus even better is that standalone GPS devices continue to work while driving through the boonies and mountains whereas a smartphone GPS will fail to work due to being out of cellular coverage. I keep at least 2 Garmin standalone GPS units in my vehicles, in addition to using my smartphone GPS.

Here are some examples of standalone GPS devices from Best Buy store:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp..._clickid=6a12050b-2515-4589-f364-00001dd8bb20

I like the larger 5" screen Garmin, but some others might like the giant 7" screen. Having lane change assistance, traffic alerts, and speed limit alerts are rather helpful.

caseyc, I really like stand-alone GPS units. And the Garmin with “lifetime” maps is a great example. I've had many, including three for my car and three hand-held units, that have an additional advantage of running on AA batteries and weather proofing. I currently own a car and hand-held, in addition to my iPad and 2 Androids.

But I also hoped to provide a solution to those on a limited budget that may already own an Android or iPhone, iPod, or iPad. Also any portable GPS can be of great benefit if you should need to walk, hike or bike out for help, keeping in mind the closets help or road my not be the way you drove. Any USB battery pack will extend the battery life of a USB powered car GPS, Android and iDevice, allowing more time to hike out. Solar rechargeable USB batteries would be even more desirable.

caseyc brings up a great point and any USB powered car unit can be made portable with a USB power supply. And Grarmin has really stepped it up, with their lifetime map units.

I am not so electronics savvy. I just got my First Smartphone a month ago. A Samgsung Galaxy S4 mini.

I have chosen the Ting network, which uses Sprint towers, and they basically charge you for what you use, not make you guess as to how much you will use. I was paying ATT nearly 72$ a month using a feature phone, and I expect my bill with Ting to be under 30$. I'll see tomorrow as my billing cycle ends then. I know the nationwide coverage is not as good as others, but in my current area the phone has 5 bars where my ATT phone had one or none.

So far I have only used 90mb of Data. I have downloaded the Navigator program listed above, but the free version, and I believe it will still seek data just to broadcast the dang adverts across the screen. Not sure about this. I did download the California Maps, but have not used it to calculate a route yet.

I have 2 other GPS Speedometers, and the first one I tried used 12mb of data in less than a mile. If I put my phone in Airplane mode, then this particular GPS speedo does not work.

I have a different GPS Speedo, and this one does still work if I shut off Mobile data, or put it in airplane mode. I don't really mind turning off mobile data when driving as I get the urge to drive others off the road who I see texting while driving, and I try to limit my hypocrisy.

Surprisingly My Dodge's Speedo matches exactly with the GPS speedo at all speeds above 25mph. I Now have oversized tires but the 100k miles I drove before getting these slightly larger circumference tires the speedo was known to be fast, because of those radar sites that tell you one's speed, and the mile markers taking over 62 seconds at an indicated 60mph.

What I like about the Smartphone is the Wifi. It saves me considerable battery power compared to using my laptop to browse the net. Anywhere from 0 to 20 amp hours per night saved by using the smartphone. A fairly significant chunk of battery capacity.

SternWake,

Congrats on your new smartphone! Only been a month?? No worries, you'll soon be consuming GIGAbytes of data versus measly megabytes. :D
It is futile to resist! :p

I'm curious why you got the Mini version of the Samsung S4 phone? Wouldn't the full size version be easier on your eyes for wifi net surfing?

The Samsung S5 is already in the works and coming out soon, which will be an even larger screen, just over 5 inches, I believe. Something to consider for the future.

Yes, it's way easier to just use a smartphone on wifi versus having to use a laptop or tablet. For emails, I use my smartphone 90 percent of the time just cuz it's easier and faster. I would still use a laptop though, if I have to work on a large attachment for an email.

For additional all day power, or to use as emergency spare power, you might consider getting the below portable/rechargeable battery which fits your micro-USB outlet on your phone. I have this same battery myself. I must have at least a dozen different portable/rechargeable batteries of all size and power output. They come in handy for many reasons. The below Motorola battery can charge your particular phone 2x over, since your battery is 1900 mAh, and the Motorola battery outputs 4000 mAh of power.

Motorola battery:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-P4000-Universal-Portable-Power/dp/B009M27MBC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

You can also order an extra phone battery and have it pre-charged to keep in your pocket to swap out if needed. I also do that as well.

Samsung S4 Mini battery:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...sbs_cps_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SA2NP1RQ624AVQB4Q7J

Hi Caseyc.

I got the mini version because I want the thing to be easily able to fit in my pockets, whether in my t shirt or pants pockets. My friend has the S4 regular and the thing just strikes me as being too large for my desires. He was always having to set it down on a table or something. I am not that trusting of others and prefer to keep a 400$ bill protected in my pocket.

So far battery life has not been an issue. I do use the phone to play my music all day. I put a 32gb card inside it. Mostly play music through another amplified source rather than using the phones speaker. I was thinking of getting one of those power packs which take a pair of 18650 Li-ion batteries, as I have a bunch of them for my flashlights and appropriate chargers for them, but I really have not had an issue needing to recharge and not having a method to do so, yet.

I really hope to not become a GB consumer of Data. I believe other networks would be cheaper for mass users of data. I am not sure.

Check out their rates:
https://ting.com/rates

Most places I've been have free wifi, and if they do not, I limit how much 3g or 4gLTE I use, and check my Ting "dashboard" often to see how much I have consumed. So far it is right in line with what my phone records as having consumed.. I don't do any social media stuff so I'm sure that helps in that department. So far, the most Data I have used was tham GPS speedo app that I had on for less than a mile, others were early in my ownership when I thought it was using Wifi and not the LTE.

Where I park I have 4 different protected wifi signals I can access.

I often will use less than 100 minutes per month talk and less than 100 texts so I believe I will really save beaucoup dinero, even if I go over 200, 500 texts is just 5$. It is highly unlikely I will talk more than 500 minutes per month, and less than 500 Minutes is just 9$.

Hi SternWake,

That's good. Sounds like you got a handle on it. Just a tidbit here for ya, since you're trying to conserve on data usage. You should turn OFF automatic updates of apps. If you don't, you will find that your phone might automatically update various apps whenever a new update is available, which is quite often.

SternWake,

Android is like the Swiss Army Knife of electronics,,, but there's a problem.

I had a "pay as you go" Android smartphone last year and what I found out is why I have a "pay as you go" dumb phone now. My Android smartphone had what most refer to as "factory apps." These are apps installed by the factory and there two particularly bad problems with these apps. 1. Even if you don't use them, data is used to update these apps. 2. You can't delete them (per se).

For example, Google Newsstand was a factory app on my Smartphone, even though I didn't use it, it used data every month updating the app and I couldn't delete it. I went through all my apps in settings and set everything I could, to only update when connected to WiFi. I also turned off auto updates. But I always ran out of data. To make things worse, when connected to WiFi, phone call quality was terrible. So I was less likely to use WiFi. I'm sure some of my own apps used data as well. It didn't matter because all the apps I cared about didn't need a data plan and worked just fine.

The problem came from t-mobile that sent text messages all the time telling me I'm out of data, fill your account. I finally got so annoyed by the phone I gave it away. Shame because I didn't want to have to carry more then one device.

But they're are real advantages by going with a dumb phone and Android tablet. First I purchased a t-mobile Sparq phone. I have 1,000 minutes or text and 30 megabytes of data for $30 a month. (Actually it's every 30 days) About the only data I use is to check weather or text a photo. The battery last for days. Second, I have an Android tablet. I have a bigger screen (7 inches), and no worries about data on my WiFi only tablet, and if the battery goes dead on the tablet, I still have a working phone.

Many of you have heard of "root" an Android. And if you root your Android you can delete factory apps. I did finally root my Android tablet, but only after researching it for almost a year. People warn you all the time you can "brick" your Android if you don't know what your doing. I decided to try it because I found a video on YouTube that took you through it, step by step, with my model Android, and had lots of people in the comments section that said it worked. Besides I still have a Galaxy Android MP3 player. After root and installing a super user app, I was able to delete factory apps from my tablet.

One last thing I would add, owning two Androids and an iPad I realize is a bit much. But once you make a purchase from Google's play store that app will show up on your other Android that uses the same account (same with Apple). So if you have a smartphone and buy a tablet, you can use the apps you've already purchased. I have heard of one time an app that won't do this on Apple, but haven't run across it on Android. For example, MapsWithMe Pro and all the maps are on both my Androids from one purchase.

Hope this helps, my refurbished Android Samsung 7-inch, tablet was $150.00 from WalMart's site-to-store website. Many people spend that in a couple months for data. I feel very good that I have a device with my personal files, address book, and with GPS that isn't linked to a monthly service. It will work even if, by chance, I can't pay my phone bill some day.

I was going to ask about all those provided apps which I will never use.

We are meandering from the GPS topic but the No Data is close enough, I think the OP would not mind the partial Hijack.

I have gotten Notifications certain applications have been updated, Apps that I have no Idea about. Thankfully they did it over Wifi.

I am not sure how to turn off the Application updates. I know I checked some box that said update only when Wifi is available.

I also deleted a whole bunch of Apps, google apps without issue. But then I was also inside my "developer options" and clicked something " do not keep Activities" I apparently should not have, and then my Samsung internet browser refused to work properly and I got all pissed off and Sync'd with google again and those unneeded unwanted apps came back. I later remembered this check mark, unchecked it and the browser worked again. For a short while, when the browser would not take me to my bookmarks, the sledgehammer almost came out, and Samsung guts spewed everywhere. Thankfully I reeled in my temper.

I use Chrome on my Laptop, but on the phone, a couple of my regularly visited websites do not work properly with Chrome, so I do not use it and am not familiar with it.

I am having issues with my Yahoo E mail getting Highjacked, and 4 of the 5 occurrences happened right after getting this smartphone. I've changed my Password 4 times in the last month. I am not sure it is the smartphone, I think the highjackings occurred shortly after clicking on my RT(Russia today) news feed on my Laptop. I wanted to see Russia Propaganda about current world events. Malwarebytes did find some crap on my laptop after each email highjacking.

I have a Gmail account but do not really use it, but everybody is saying to just cancel my Yahoo account as it is too insecure. I do find it embarrassing when my contacts e mail me to tell me Ive been highjacked, again. There is no records of e mails sent in my sent folder. but some of my contacts forwarded me the email's sent, and several had the .ru suffix.

Anyway, I do have concerns about Android security and these unwanted apps that update themselves just irritate me. I've been the type of guy who runs CCleaner every time I get off the net on my laptop, or before doing any transactions. I delete cookies and re sign in every time I care to post. I am not sure how effective that is. I also run Adblocker on my laptop as Advertisements stoke the fires of my misanthropic tendencies to an incredible degree, and I do not need more things to stoke those fires. Humanity is so good at it already, and I do not like to waste energy in that department.

SternWake, yes, we're straying a little bit, but it's important stuff. So many people are using Android and Apple. I started out in DOS 3.0, still remember some of the commends we had to type in.

I know what you mean about solving your problems with a hammer. I gave my phone to my stepson after paying more then $100 for it. A hammer would have work too, but wanted to help him out.

With regard to deleting apps; it almost sounds like you phone is rooted or at lease unlocked, but keep in mind I am far removed from being an expert.

You may want to try the Android app “RootAppDelete.” This is the app that was recommended when I rooted my Android and it was free. Nice thing about this app, it has a “Junior” or “Pro” mode under “System Apps.” I have never used the “Pro” side. However on the “Junior” mode the app makes recommendations on how important each app is. If the RootAppDelete does know, it won't make a recommendation. Some are marked in red, stating “No Touch.” RootAppDelete also allows you to just disable an app, rather then remove it, so if it's vital to the operating system you can restore it. RootAppDelete requires that your Android be rooted to work. There are also free apps on GooglePlay to check if your Android has been rooted.

Back in the days of DOS we knew what the computers where doing, I agree with you, not sure what some apps are doing on my Android. But the phrase “follow the money” comes to mind. I'm sure some data is being used by apps to track location and advertise to you. On my laptop I won't use Chrome, I run FireFox on top of the Ubuntu operating system. If anyone needs to buy a cheap, used computer without having an operating system, try Ubuntu, it's free. Although I gave the maximum recommended donation of $16.00.

One other thing that hit a chord with me you said, was the emails sent out. My wife's Android dialed every number in her phone book, many times, while plugged into a wall charger. It did this completely on it's own. I never knew for sure what happened, but read later that some after-market chargers have viruses. When you think about it, what better way to deliver software to your device. A charger has a power supply and USB access to you device. The charger my wife's phone was plugged into was a cheap after-market charger a saw at an automotive store. Another reason I like having a dumb phone.

My Android keeps me from carrying so many other devices it's hard to give up, a GPS is just one.

Does googles map/navigation not work off just the gps? That sucks.

I tried downloading the naigator app in the OP, but im having trouble witht he download...it doesnt seem to do the download as a background process so if i leave that screen for any reason it freezes it, all i get is a field of white and have to force close. Not sure i want to leave it running for that big of a download...kinda silly it cant do this in the background w/resume...my connection is spotty too. Im gonan do it by subregions, starting from my state and work my way outward....

On a trip to Indiana from north Florida last June, I was using my big Magellan Roadmate GPS. Worked fine for the main highway travel. Once I got to the town we wanted, then tried to navigate to the exact location (Mom's old high school) it directed us the opposite direction! Thank Goodness for her memory! I switched to my Galaxy SIII VZ Navigator app, it took us right there. Kudos to Samsung, and the Android system.
For travelling too, I have the Anker Astro E4 13,000mah portable battery/charger. Had it since July of 2013. It has worked flawlessly. I just charged it now - after sitting unused for a couple months, it was down to the 75% range. Only ten minutes plugged to my PC has it full. I used it during the Indiana trip. For the price ($50) it pleases me, and the new Gen 2 version is $30. It has adapter tips for various phones and tablets. It'll charge my SIII three times.

Are you paying Verizon the $10 monthly fee for their GPS service? Or did you mean to say the free Google Navigation app?

LeeRevell said:
On a trip to Indiana from north Florida last June, I was using my big Magellan Roadmate GPS. Worked fine for the main highway travel. Once I got to the town we wanted, then tried to navigate to the exact location (Mom's old high school) it directed us the opposite direction! Thank Goodness for her memory! I switched to my Galaxy SIII VZ Navigator app, it took us right there.