GPS Coordinates

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
So..anyone else have Garmin?

I see coordinates here posted with negative numbers, or using West

Garmin only uses positive numbers or East

How do I get these numbers translated into something my Garmin will use?

I'm not sure if all Garmins are the same but here's how I enter coordinates in my Garmin Nuvi.
On the Enter Coordinates screen click on the three bars on the left, click on Format and then click on the top button h ddd.ddddd and Save.
Click on the top coordinate box which should be North and enter your numbers.
Click on the lower coordinate box. On my Garmin there is a choice between W and E. Is this missing on yours? If you only have an E all of the coordinates will be on the opposite side of the earth.

If you can change the coordinates to W enter the numbers starting with 0 in place of the minus sign.

The Big Table at Ehrenburg

33.586066,-114.466564

From Google Maps, if I remember right Garmin doesn't use all of the digits to the right of the decimal point.

Aka via What3words, "redeemed.lacy.treating"

http://w3w.co/redeemed.lacy.treating
4a9aa7a818ffe602b2979218ed1276c8.jpg

I messed around with Garmin.

This is the format it requires.....

NN (only two numbers...degrees). NN (only two numbers ... minutes). NN.N (two numbers before the decimal ... seconds)

So, Garmin says my current location is N39degrees, 3' 60.8". W 108 degrees, 30' 19.9"

The negative ???? -114. ??

So.. what is 33.586066?
And how to enter. -114.466564?

You can change the format of the coordinates in your Garmin in one of the setup menus.

VanKitten said:
Garmin USA
Runs on my iPad and my iPhone

Version. 2.11.3.2409

OK... No apple products here, I was assuming you had an auto GPS.