battery gunk

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
I have a little hand-held GPS that I didn't use for about 5 months and its batteries (2 AA) have gone bad and spit up a lot of that yellowish-white crud. So my questions: Is that stuff toxic? Can I throw it out in the regular trash? If I can get the GPS cleaned up, will it be safe to use with new batteries? Is there any cleaner I should/should not use with it?

I'd be happy to hear that it's just a routine thing, but it looked so nasty I thought I'd better check. They leaked so much of this stuff that it was oozing out through the cracks of the battery compartment.

Thanks for any clues. If it matters, it's a basic Garmin eTrex and I <3 it.

Also curious what makes batteries do this. I wouldn't have thought 5 months was prolonged disuse ... or?

I take the batteries out of almost every thing now days as soon as I turn it off as most seem to have some sort of micro load even when off. I store them where they will not see temperatures below freezing or above 80 degrees if possible. There is a good chance it is ruined but there are special cleaners and videos on how to use them. Good luck!

Yes, I eventually found some good advice online. Also got the impression -- though I am not citing a source, so please check for yourself -- that it's OK to throw this type of battery in the trash (didn't see any suggestion that it was any more hazardous in a landfill after it puked its little guts out, and really why would it be? it's more a question of wearing gloves and eye protection while handling it) ... but that it would be a good idea to take any ruined electronic devices in for recycling because they often have rare metals in them that can be retrieved.

There was a time when alkaline batteries needed to be discarded separate from ordinary trash. Around 2009 or so, that changed and the batteries could be placed in regular trash. I don't know what changed, just that the place, where I worked as a contractor then, had ceased their battery recycling program.

For a few years I have been using only Procells, and I haven't had any issues with leaky batteries. They are available on eBay from various sellers. They aren't packaged for retail sales at Walmart, etc.

An electronics tech friend of mine uses a product to clean terminals that have corrosion/rust leakage on them and it's called "Naval Jelly". (but there are other brands that do the same thing) There is also aerosol spray contact cleaners to follow that up with. He uses a small stiff bristle brush with these chemicals to get the contacts clean before installing new batteries to test the device to assure it's working before returning it to service.

After all is working again he applies a product called LPS 2 or 3 which is an electronic lubricant that protects whatever if's applied to. He says this stuff was developed at NASA and he calls it greaseless grease....but it is a fine oxidation inhibitor. This stuff is available in small containers but you have to shop at an electronics supply store to find it. Those like Amazon etc like to sell it in large volume containers. I've seen iLPS in applicators the size of felt markers which is perfect for the occasional user.

Difference between LPS 1, 2, and 3