Got my first van, could use general advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastertheo

Reaction score
So I bought this van off of CL and I paid $1000 for it. I'm feeling some semi-buyer's remorse and anxiety.
https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/d/no-rust-1996-ford-extended/6387659293.html

The Good
2 100 watt solar panels(only 1 hooked up), deep cell battery, controller, power inverter
large bed with draws
Wooden floor
2 wooden cabinets  
Runs well, low miles for the price
I can register it in my state without the title

The Bad
Broken pop out window that's hard to find (the first window behind the drivers side window across from the side doors)
Passenger van with the windows cheaply painted over
Only 12 mpg with the 460 big block engine
Hack job attempt to insulate the van, I'll probably end up pulling that stuff down.
I can't put the drivers seat back very far because the tall cabinet is in the way. (I'm very tall)
I feel like the bed it so large it takes up most of the van, and isn't very high. 

So I don't know how good of a deal I got considering a window is busted. I'm nor sure how much the van is worth when the window is fixed. I can't even find the window name or part number because it's an extended passenger van that's not very common.  New from Ford the window might be around $350. I haven't checked junkyards yet, and I'm not sure if I'm handy enough to pull a window out. 

The biggest thing I'm worried about is the gas money. In an SUV or a Minivan it would be cheaper to drive somewhere than a plane ticket. With 12 mpg, it seems like it actually would be a bit more. That's not a big deal if I'm going to be on the road for months, but I was just planning on driving it to somewhere warm for a couple weeks. New England to the south will be costly. 

I'm considering ripping down the insulation so I can use the windows, if they even pop open. It might mess up the paint outside though.

The bed and cabinets are nice, but it doesn't really give me any comforts I couldn't have built myself. I could just put a platform and storage bins in anything. The solar is pretty sweet, though. 

I've thought about installing a Fantastic Fan for cooking and ventilation, but I've never taken on a job that lofty before. I've also considered what I could build or add to the interior to improve it, and how. Any ideas would be appreciated. 

I planned on hitting the road this winter, but now I'm considering possibly selling the van for something with better mpg, or just waiting until spring. 

I have a good amount of money saved up, but I'm a penny pinching grumpy ol' miser. :D  I'd like to see how I like road life before I invest a bunch more money. Or at least, have it break even on the value of the van. 

I don't really know what I'm doing, and I'm just trying to figure everything out as I go. Any advice on what I should do with it, or general feedback would be much appreciated!

Hmm, hard to say. I guess if you don't feel good in it then there isn't much point. If it runs and drives well then 1000 dollars seems like a pretty good price for any vehicle anymore. A plane ticket might be cheaper than than the fuel price but the hotel or condo would be more expensive than boondocking somewhere for sure. For 1000 dollars it seems like you could just drive it as is for a while and decide later. I would imagine that at any point you could easily get out of it for 750 and youd have a cheap lesson in exactly what you want next time, to either build or buy.

Breaking down your situation.
The van. Good running rust free van extended wheel base for $1000. That's great. No title, hmmmm. Did you run the vin? Ummmmm. You can part it out for parts and make money. 460 can haul boat or trailer. More pros than cons on the vehicle overall.
Mpg and what you want to do, well, that's got nothing to do with the van directly. Want to travel cheap and check out the lifestyle, well, that doesn't go with the van of course. Yet people do it all the time with class A&C, Vans. You sound sure about better mpg, so yeah, better options.
Can you live with it? Only you know. Try the van and see how it goes. Can't go wrong at that price and always sell it later for same price or possibly even more.
Or sell it before something goes wrong.
Or part it out if stolen or title is an issue.

First, don't do a thing to the van until you have been to DMV to get it registered. The build doesn't look bad at all. The new tires are probably worth close to what you paid for the whole thing. 
Go get it and drive it before you make any more decisions about it.

wow, you mean they will register anything before 2000 without a title. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
wow,  you mean they will register anything before 2000 without a title.  highdesertranger
In the early eighties I bought a 72 Plymouth Cuda. I was assured that Alabama did not issue title back in the seventies when the car was new. I researched it, finding this was indeed the case. Their cars only came with a bill of sale from the dealer which you took to DMV. I found the car in California, drove it to Nevada were I eventually did get it registered, but not before I jumped through all their hoops, and several months at least.
This of course all took place before the internet, and is why I said get it verified by DMV before you do anything to it.

12MPG isn't much different than what the average CRVLer sees, I'd think. And $1000 is cheap enough you can put in your first roof vent without fear. :) Many inexperienced folk including myself have successfully cut our roofs and installed vents.

I do hope the title thing goes well. Personally, I have NOT had good luck with untitled vehicles even when I could reach the previous owner. Now "Is it titled in your name?" is the first question I ask. I passed up a tasty 90s class B because the current "owner" didn't have the title.

Maybe let this be a lesson of sorts...
Impulse buying....
seems that you have really thought this over AFTER you bought said van
or thats the way it seems to me so you have a couple choices
Try to resale the van or part it out or fix it they way you want it.
all in all... no matter what van you buy you will have to fix things
or repair thing or even make things to make it your very own we all do this
as I would say to my Son Suck it up butter cup... life moves on....
since your a miser you must have bought the van because of the price...
nothing wrong with that but for that price your not buying a JEM...
its for sure a fixer upper.
you should start another thread... and post pics since that link you posted
does not work any longer... and shows us your van,, and then start piece by piece
making it your very own.... and take pictures along the way and share your adventure
with that being said this forum is great to have others help you along the way and to get
ideas there are other forums as well that can help to.

I Did Not even touch base on the title issue...
I being one with experience in the title department here in the
state of KY... one can not do a darn thing with out a title
I own a 1971 Maverick Grabber Pro Street car ( hotrod ) that when I bought
from the guy ( that I knew ) we didnt worry about going to the DMV right away
well I was working on the said car and he was busy and time got away from
both of us. he signed the title over to me ( open title ) and then my house caught
fire back in the late 2003 title gone.. with the rebuild of the house time elapsed once
againl. That said guy I bought the car from Died... now what did I have to do .... get an
attorney.. in the great state of KY just last year they decided to do away with all paper
trails of titles.. so ... I had to sew the state for the rights to the car I have had in my
possession since 2002. that was a hassel and time consuming and costly.
be careful the moral to my story.. dont be a procrastinator.. get the paper work
done asap.... let that be your first thing you do...
MY van that I bought in Aug. was an out of state van it had to go threw inspection
I didnt hesitate to get the windows tinted.. before the inspection... I even told my
buddy that tinted the windows this as well.. :LMAO: I had to take said tint off the
windows right then and there.. it passed inspection then...but it had to be done
all over again.. lol

why do you need windows in the back? just insulate them all. All my windows in the back are insulated, thats where all the heat comes in. You can just get some sheet metal and apply it over where the missing window is and screw it on there make sure you caulk it so water doesnt get in, problem solved.

Instead of a roof vent, just cut a side vent or better yet, where the missing window is, install a side vent (like in my picture but bigger) . You can put a endless breeze fan near there or even a swampcooler like I do. I have roof vents and they never work for me, I have them covered over. But if you plan on doing that, get a cordless jigsaw , harbor freight sells one with battery for 30 dollars.  Use a step drill bit to cut a big enough hole to for jigsaw blade.

You probably get better mpg on the freeway, but 12 mpg is not bad for just around town. Thats what I get, I dont drive that far.

On your craiglist link, the pictures were deleted by the seller. We can't see how the insulation looks.

side vents
side vents.jpg

Attachments

• side vents.jpg
    side vents.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 12
Buyer's remorse is expected. At least you made a move and $1K is a small price to pay. When in doubt, don't. Work with what you have...my guess is 98% or more of the members of this forum have changed their rig at least once. Be gentle with yourself. 

Everyone that has replied has given thoughtful advice.

If it is mechanically sound I'd camp with it for awhile and make changes slowly but surely.

Best piece of advice you got from the other posters is to get it sorted out with the DMV. The government is always going to grab more power. So do it before the noose tightens even more...

Mastertheo said:
In Rhode Island you don't need a title if the vehicle is before 2000, I called and asked first.

Interesting.  I'm from RI and a pretty new member.  It's good to know that you are in RI.  I'm thinking about getting a van.  Thanks!