Got a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArtW said:
XFile, Id be glad to sell it to you, but it may not be a good fit for you.

it's throwing a code for the EGR circuit
I haven't gotten around to pressure testing the system as of yet
Hey Art,
Your last picture didn't come through.  Looks like you've invested a lot already in it.  Looks very nice.  What is the mileage on your van?  What's an EGR code?  Are you going to eventually pressure test it?  I just learned the difference between vans and I think I want a conversion van too.  I don't care about the rust, that's easy to fix.  I just want something dependable, easy to find parts for, and not super expensive to repair. 

Please let me know about the other stuff at your leisure like the antifreeze leak and AC or any other issues.  I wouldn't mind a fixer upper and kind of would like to do my own interior (I think).  You probably are getting attached to it by now.  I spoke to my attorney a couple days ago and I may be getting some funds very soon.  All I can do is wait for the other side to cut the check.  (I'm in California for now.)  If we do decide to do this, I suppose I could fly there, even though I detest the TSA and how they assault you at the airport.  Maybe a train?  Maybe if it works out I could get my TX license and registration there, who knows.  Take your time and keep me posted on what you decide, no hurries with me.  Thank you, Sandi

Hmm, ok, last picture was of a Kompact Kamper 'mini mate' sort of a pop up for motorcycles, you can google that, if curious
EGR code means there is a problem either with the EGR valve or the circuit
I'd bet on the valve, they get carboned up and sometimes just stick
I am getting used to driving it, but it is an adjustment, that big vehicle instead of a Ranger or a bike lol

Late 80s GMC / Chevy vans certainly have cheap parts, and tend to be reliable, though as I said it's too early for me to say I'd drive it cross country as of yet

The PO said the AC was due to being out of Freon, but I haven't even considered trying to add Freon, I'm afraid how much it'd take lol. it does take R-134, so no conversion neccessary

The coolant i am watching, I have the idea this van sat for a while before I bought it, I added about a gallon of coolant the day I got it inspected, and topped up the overflow tank a couple times, sometime cooling systems that are low 'burp' when you add coolant and drive them, so I'm watching the level for now, and if it keeps dropping, I'll pressure test it

I think the odometer shows 60k + miles, I'll look when i go to work, but at this age I wouldn't ask if it's been flipped, but how many times
I have about $2500 in it including the purchase price, the tags are new
ripping the interior out should be 'fun' but maybe not for me lol

Hi Art, I was thinking last night, why don't you just live with your new van for a while.  You might really like it when you got it the way YOU want. :)

You know, Xfile, that's a good point, honestly traveling from California to buy a van that might have some problems you don't want to deal with is a lot of money out the window for you, and I am getting to like the van better, the more I drive it
Besides, the leak is confirmed, and I'm gonna have to find out what that is, because it's not leaking on the ground that I can see
I don't want to sell you a possible major problem