Got a bed. What's next?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radek4

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first post here so first of all - big Polish hello from Switzerland.

I've recently become a very happy owner of VW T4 (aka Eurovan in US). Car came as a 9 seater people carrier and we promptly got rid of third row of seats (second one can go away quickly) and installed a DIY frame for a 140x200 cm bed. We tested car on two small trips and are very pleased ;) Next summer we would like to make use of it and are planing two monthly trips to warmer climate. The goal is to be quite mobile and stay for a max of 3-5 nights in one spot. I do not want to cook inside the car.. nor am I going to spend much time inside.

At the moment, apart from our bed, car does not have any 'camper amenities' at all. We started to collect some camping equipment and have camping seats, table, small cooker, etc. During the winter I wanted to do some improvements that will let us have more comfy life on the road. Problem is, with limited time and resources I do not know where to start.

So my question to you tinkerers is - what were your most valuable additions during conversions?

I definitely wanted to start with blackening the windows and/or installing some simple curtains for privacy and protection for the sun. Where to focus my attention next? Sort out the awing? Get an electricity socket? Mosquito net? Invest in small Waeco fridge? Get a extra socket from the leisure battery (we have one for extra heating system.. I think it is only used for that..)

Many thanks for help!

Hi there.

I don't know much about EU campgrounds or where you will be parking but somewhere to poop is pretty handy.  Otherwise it sounds like most of the usual camping gear will work well for you. Did I understand that you have a second battery for the van? If so a way to charge it other than running the engine is a good idea. A fridge seems like a bonus, reconstituted food will get old pretty quickly.

Thanks @Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz. Poop will for sure be a recurring problem! ;) I think we will spent most of our time moving from campground to campground (and the official ones) will for sure have facilities. But agree that it might be a good idea to have a portable solution.

It's correct - we have a second battery. I have a meeting booked with a car mechanic at the end of the year (not smart enought to figure this things myself) to check what this battery is really there for. I know for sure it is used by the built-in diesel heating system that is in the car. If this is the only thing - it would be great since in summer when I don't need it I could hijack this battery to run other things for us. And totally agree - charging it solar would be awesome. Will dog into that issue.

Fridge - I think I'm committed. Already hunting for some good purchase online.

After getting the bed done, my next step would definitely be a nap. Welcome to the forums :)

Insulation is usually a good thing. It reduces both your heating and cooling needs. Most things like cabinets would normally be installed after the insulation. There is a big debate about what to use. Most people recommend foam board, but I don't like it. In a compact area I think the off gassing of carcinogenic fumes is less than a good idea. You can read more about it here, http://www.camperize.com/insulation.html I use a porta potti for human wastes. Usually I do my stuff elsewhere, but there are occasions where having indoor plumbing is handy. Because it is not in constant use, emptying it isn't usually a big issue. If you will be in campgrounds a number of times a month, they usually will have a dump station.

The next item that I use a lot is a roof mounted vent fan. My preference is the MaxxAir 7000. It has 10 speeds both in and out, doesn't need a rain shield, and has a thermostat that will shut off the fan and close the vent if the temperature goes below set point. This is handy for getting to sleep on a warm night and not getting cold as the night air cools.

Thanks @DannyB1954 I think insulating windows (it's a passenger car so windows all around!) will be our priority to work on when we get few days off during Xmas.

Vent fan is a really good idea - didn't think about it but that is definitely good thing to have in warmer climate.. Will dig more into that and see what solution will work for T4.

Welcome aboard the good ship CRVL radek4 !