Good idea, way too expensive

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This would be less expensive :

"convert your MPV/mini van into a camper.  rig a hammock set up in your car ( or RV )
This idea from www.youtube.com/user/anOutsideMom "

Car Hammock Camping
Sean The Silver Fox  ( not me )

Double Camping Hammock 2 Free Bonus Hanging Tree Straps and Carabiners
- Ultralight Portable Compact Parachute Nylon Perfect for Outdoor Backpacking, Beach, Backyard, Camping.

81FzCsSDGgL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Insane-Campi...7581106427113af27b8c3&creativeASIN=B01FX44KHQ

<iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=tf_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=themill08-20&marketplace=amazon&region=US&placement=B01FX44KHQ&asins=B01FX44KHQ&linkId=92ade6d25f87581106427113af27b8c3&show_border=false&link_opens_in_new_window=false&price_color=333333&title_color=0066c0&bg_color=ffffff">
   </iframe>

I'm a candidate in the Amazon affiliate program.   :shy:

Not only too expensive but very limiting in a few ways.

You're limited to setting up the hammock right beside your vehicle. Your wheelbase determines how far apart your ends are, which will affect the lay of the hammock and subsequently your comfort in it.

If you still like the concept, DIY it for probably less than $30.00.

There are much cheaper ways of doing an 'artificial' hang when trees aren't available.

Almost There said:
Not only too expensive but very limiting in a few ways.

You're limited to setting up the hammock right beside your vehicle. Your wheelbase determines how far apart your ends are, which will affect the lay of the hammock and subsequently your comfort in it.

If you still like the concept, DIY it for probably less than $30.00.

There are much cheaper ways of doing an 'artificial' hang when trees aren't available.

And those "much cheaper ways" are?????........... 

Dave

djkeev said:
And those "much cheaper ways" are?????........... 

Dave

Just like here at chearprvliving is for all you ever wanted or needed to learn about living in a vehicle so is

hammockforums.net

the go to place for everything you ever need to learn about hammocking. Well other than watching Shugs' Youtube channel... :D

There's a hundred and one DIY stands out there suited for everybodies pocketbook and ability.

Tussah said:
I purchased this Vivere Double hammock with space-saving steel stand on one of those special Deal of the Days at Amazon.   It comes in a carrying case, and packs up pretty small.   Very comfortable!

That hammock is specifically meant for afternoon lounging. If you've ever tried to move around in your while you're napping in one, you'll most likely find yourself bouncing off the ground.... :dodgy:

There is a completely other king of hammock design that is meant for replacing a bed and for using out in the open. The OP was at a website that mfrs and sells the type used for sleeping at night in.

gsfish said:
I understand that even when trees are available some areas don't allow hammocks to be hung from them. Am I right?

Guy

Yes, you're right!

A lot of states don't allow anything to be hung from trees to prevent damage to the trees. This is because Joe camper likes to pound nails in to hang lanterns and then leaves the nails. Also, a lot of people don't think about the damage to trees by using rope suspension instead of good tree straps.

One of the members over at Hammockforums went to a lot of trouble over a period of time and contacted each and every state park organization looking for answers. There's a thread and a spreadsheet available at:

https://hammockforums.net/forum/sho...te-Parks-amp-Hammocks?highlight=state+project

I also found that in many state/provincial parks they've cleared out the sites to accommodate the larger RV's and have left maybe only 1 tree inside the campsite proper and then make it a rule that you have to keep all your equipment inside the perimeter of the campsite. Good thing my hammock/tarp is camo.... :D

National Forest don't have the same rules so remember where you're at.

Yup, a hammock is the best place for taking a nap.... :D even if you're a bear!!

I believe that is the first known incident of a bear attacking anyone while sleeping in a hammock. I'll hold judgement on the bear until the investigation is complete.

We've had moose come to investigate but that's because someone didn't watch for animal trails when they hung their hammock directly across the trail.

The hammock stands shown in the OP are just another thing to carry and store somewhere.  Using the vehicle as one attachment point is easy to establish.   One tree hang and no tree hang methods are regularly posted on the hammock forums.

Ticklebellly

Latest posts