Good desert (low altitude) camping spots near Phoenix?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FALCON

Reaction score
Hi folks. I've been in/near Phoenix for about 6 weeks, and I'll be here for another month. I've not had much luck finding good camping spots out in the desert without going further north from Phoenix and into altitudes over 4,000 feet.

Do you know of any nice places to camp down below 3,500 feet and within 30 or so miles of the Phoenix area? (Places free of a lot of OHV/ATV traffic, and shooting, and excessive litter). I don't care whether they have phone service, and my vehicle can probably get out to any spots

Cool. I'll go check that out. Thanks :-D

As you drive into Buckeye Hills, past the firing range and sheriff's facility, there's a short road to the left that goes to some bathrooms and shelters. Then there's another road to the left that leads past boondocking spots. At the end are some spots with shelters, but those are usually occupied. If you continue on instead of making that left turn, there's a loop with what look more like picnic areas with shelters, tables, trash barrels and a bathroom. You can camp there, too. It's all free.

I just left Buckeye Regional park and like everyone says, it's great. Beautiful, especially with all the wildflowers in bloom. I was parked at the end of Robbins road, that road to the left. Lots of people parked all along the way to the end and even past there were many parked on the blm land there. So many places to walk and ride bikes. 15 minutes into the Buckeye walmart and frys and 45 minutes into phoenix proper with moderate traffic. The sheriffs guys/gals drive around every day. Now that main loop has spots that are very far apart. It's almost like camping alone! But no television signal from those spots and the trash pickup can be sporadic. And they can/do reserve it out to organizations and then they just come by and tell you to leave. I really did like it there. I still can't believe it was free!

StarEcho said:
I just left Buckeye Regional park and like everyone says, it's great.  Beautiful, especially with all the wildflowers in bloom.  I was parked at the end of Robbins road, that road to the left.  Lots of people parked all along the way to the end and even past there were many parked on the blm land there.  So many places to walk and ride bikes.  15 minutes into the Buckeye walmart and frys and 45 minutes into phoenix proper with moderate traffic.  The sheriffs guys/gals drive around every day.  Now that main loop has spots that are very far apart.  It's almost like camping alone!  But no television signal from those spots and the trash pickup can be sporadic.  And they can/do reserve it out to organizations and then they just come by and tell you to leave.  I really did like it there.  I still can't believe it was free!

On the eastside you should try the Bush Hwy. Just go N out of 
Mesa on Power rd. Plenty of BLM land out that way

Usery mountain Park
https://www.campendium.com/usery-mountain-regional-park

Lake Pleasant - two areas Pleasant Harbor (Private, need an RV) and Scorpion Bay, run by the county.
http://www.pleasantharbor.com/
https://maricopacountyparks.org/lake-pleasant

You can also boondock at jetski point right on the water at Lake Pleasant.

Another nice spot where you will be all alone is near Hope, AZ. We used to fly rockets out here.

33deg 42min 6.60sec N
113deg 40min 51.9sec W

About 120 miles from PHX, but it is nice and quiet and only 4-5 miles from a small town.