Going without insulation?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rheapup

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I was wondering if insulation is entirely necessary for my situation. I live in an area with humidity ranging from 20-90% throughout the year, temperatures rarely dropping below 50 and rarely going above 100. I've read all sorts of different things about insulation on this forum and others, all telling me different things. I was planning on using polyiso to insulate my walls and maybe some kind of vapor barrier, but in a blog post I read that it might not be necessary in warmer climates. Also, I wouldnt be in the van between 1pm to 11pm on most days. So i was thinking I might be able to get away with no insulation and just have a fan and vent on the ceiling for the little time i'm inside during the day, thoughts?

Keep in mind that sound proofing is also an important function of insulation...

I'm planning on doing without as well.

Given how you describe your local climate (central Texas maybe?) it seems like a reasonable choice. Your worst weather will be in the summer and I don't see insulation making much of a difference with high heat and high humidity and the winters are too mild to make it worth the bother. That said, if you're going to be staying in and around a city for an extended period the sound proofing is certainly something to think about.

Just to make you go back and do some more studying :p  y'all might want to think about using a radiant heat barrier instead of insulation.

I agree that there is no point in putting in polyiso for insulation to keep the heat in your vehicle if you're not usually going to see temps below 50F.

And while you're studying up on stuff, please do yourself a favor and recheck your info on vapor barriers. IMO vapor barrier in a van is wasted. Good ventilation and controlling moisture (mostly put there by humans doing stuff that could be done a better way) is a better way to tackle the problem!

so are you planning on staying in this ideal temp? you're not going to travel at all? let me ask this, do you run your AC or heater while driving? if you do insulation will help. highdesertranger

I would NOT insulate if I were you. but, like HDR said, if you move to a cold climate you will wish you had. Almost there makes a great point Reflectix with an air space will help with the heat.
Bob

Please give us a state and what kind of vehicle. There may be something that makes a difference. We won't come after you -- we PROMISE!

Another thumbs up for Reflectix and it can be added later. We used it to make bunkend covers in a pop-up to survive the heat and cold. We use it in the house. It is clean also and can be neatly rolled up when not in use.

Bob, is this advice mostly due to the space restrictions of a vehicle?
I'm currently working on building out a storage shed as a tiny cabin, and was wondering about this comment,
I would very much appreciate you elaborating on this, as I've been pondering this issue myself
Texas does sometimes get very cold (to a Texan) but not for long, and heat is much more an issue, especially radiant heat

It depends, will the house have air conditioning? If yes then you want LOTS of insulation to keep the cold inside and the heat outside. With a van the assumption is there will not be AC so no need for insulation. If the house won't have AC but it does get cold there, then its a toss up. Just decide on which is more important to you, staying warm or staying cool.
Bob

Thanks for all the advice guys! Yeah, I plan on staying in this area most of the time for the time being, if I ever decide to visit friends in colder climates I'll just do it during warmer seasons. If I use reflectix to insulate my van, would putting a layer of bubble wrap up first, then putting a layer of reflectix work for the vapor barrier? Also, to reduce humidity, is it worth it to use a small dehumidifier, or should I use something else like cat litter? I'm mostly worried about rusting/molding behind the insulation if I use any.

I wouldn't use cat litter as a moisture absorbant -- once it gets wet, it STAYS wet.

rheapup said:
Thanks for all the advice guys! Yeah, I plan on staying in this area most of the time for the time being, if I ever decide to visit friends in colder climates I'll just do it during warmer seasons. If I use reflectix to insulate my van, would putting a layer of bubble wrap up first, then putting a layer of reflectix work for the vapor barrier? Also, to reduce humidity, is it worth it to use a small dehumidifier, or should I use something else like cat litter? I'm mostly worried about rusting/molding behind the insulation if I use any.

Where are you getting the information that is causing you to be worried about rust and mold behind the insulation?

I'm really curious about this because the only time I have seen anything to worry about is when there has been a roof leak caused by a drilled hole or an aftermarket window installation where the window seal has failed. Never from excess humidity caused by simply living in a van.

Rust on a vehicle happens from the outside in, not the inside out.

Cat litter only absorbs liquid that is poured on to it, it is not a desiccant that absorbs moisture from the air.

The best way of dealing with humidity in the air inside a van is to ventilate the vehicle with fans and open windows.

Reflectix is not nor can it be considered a vapor barrier nor a really good form of insulation and there is no way IMO that anyone using it for a radiant heat barrier will ever be able to seal it up effectively enough for it to be used as a vapor barrier.

It is an effective radiant heat barrier if installed correctly and if you decide you want to use it as such, then we can aim you in the right direction for instructions on how to accomplish this.

I know you said the temperatures may be moderate most of the time but insulation may still improve your situation. It could mean the difference between needing a heater or not on a coolish night. You could vent the van at night to cool it down and the insulation would help it stay cooler longer.

OP said they would not be in the van from 1pm until 11pm. If the van in insulated then during that time it would need to ventilate the heat build up. Otherwise OP would come home at 11pm and spend some time until the van interior reaches a comfortable temp.

My experience was that the insulation itself was retaining the heat build up, when van was locked up during the day. I do have a ceiling vent with Camco cover. The skin of the van was cooling down with no sun and dropping air temps, but the insulation was radiating heat inside the van.

I removed the insulation. During the day I stay out of the van. I like being outside. That is why I avoid 90F and rain.

For cold at night, I have gone with insulating my body. I use a mummy bag, silk cocoon liner, and a bivvy bag with inner reflective surface for very low temps.

My interest right now is what to do to keep things that are supposed to be at room temp in the temp range. Summer a little cool, but not cold. In the winter a little warm, but not too much. Bananas are very sensitive. Nutella is another. A small Whytner cooler?

-Wayne

An interesting approach I saw is by Driftwood George on youtube.

He had an insulated refrigerator box in his minivan for the cold Midwestern winters he lived in.

He seemed to sleep comfortably inside it.

I considered building a small ventilated sleeping bunk out of polyiso, as people do yurts. Maybe on a platform close to the roof vent. It would be a smaller area to cool or heat.

I would not use a Mr Buddy in such a restricted space.

Thanks for the reply Bob, yep, it'll have AC, so as much insulation as I can get in 2x4 framing it looks like
I WISH i could deal with Tx heat without AC lol

rheapup said:

I think a vent fan or two will move enough air to cool you somewhat and keep the moisture from building up. Shade and moving air do a lot to keep you comfy in heat, and moving air even helps in cold, hence attic vent fans even in cold climates.