Going minimal in Oregon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroberts5283

Reaction score
Hey folks. My wife and I recently started van/tent dwelling a week ago. We both were layed off from our jobs last month and quickly realized we couldn't afford our $1000 a month apartment.

Since we had 2 cars we sold one and bought a minivan with the money (since we couldn't find anything larger with our budget) It's been a rough start but it's steadily getting better as we overcome one obstacle at a time. Our van is basically a bed on wheels since we both need to sleep in it but it works until we can afford something better. We built a platform for our bed so we'd have storage underneath which allows us to store our necessities underneath.

I've been following Bob's youtube channel for several years now and have visited this site frequently over time as I've pondered this change. I'm both excited and nervous getting this started.

Welcome aroberts to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

excited and nervous :) :) you are being pushed in this direction due to being jobless now.....wow....I feel for ya! Tough situation but it sounds like you are taking the bull by the horns and making your own future path! Great for you!!! Wishing you guys the best.....let us know how everything works for you and chat up on the board about your new adventures coming your way!

So things have changed. I'm now preparing for a divorce and taking the minivan by myself. (This wasn't the cause)

One thing I left out is I'm high functioning autistic (aspergers) so I prefer solitude which is one thing I'm looking forward to with this change. I'm currently in a debate with myself whether to build out my minivan (95 mercury villager with 230k miles but running great) We slept in it together a few nights and then bought a tent so it's currently a huge platform in the back. I'm leaning on simplicity/minimal build and saving for a van upgrade but would appreciate any suggestions.

@Bob or anyone else: any good suggestions for free camping near Klamath Falls? I know you love it there Bob and my Dad lives down there now so may spend time there.

Check out this website

https://freecampsites.net/

It has free camping sites on it, it doesn't have them all but is a big help when you don't know what's in the area.

Check each description in an area you're interested in. Read the reviews carefully. When I first started using it I failed to do that and ended up going down roads that really should have been 4 wheel drive roads only. There's a lot of campgrounds up around Klamath Falls that are free. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

aroberts5283 said:
@Bob or anyone else: any good suggestions for free camping near Klamath Falls? I know you love it there Bob and my Dad lives down there now so may spend time there.

check your private messages...