Go West...Jan./Feb. recap.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSpaceman

Reaction score
Since arriving in Quartzsite in early Jan. for the RTR I've had such a great time just goin' with the flow...figured I'd give a recap of my last two months of travel and how much fun it's been.

Spent the first week of Jan. in Ehrenberg before the RTR boondocking for the first time on BLM land. *For the last 2 yrs. I stealth camped in a city.

I moved around a few times at the RTR and ended up hanging out with several people my age 40's n 50's, and have been traveling off and on with one or two or five like minded people since.

It's been a loose knit deal, breaking away and meeting up again with one or a few of them.

*In Jan. n Feb. I went back to Ehrenberg right after the RTR then a day trip to Algodones, Mexico...followed by a few days in Yuma( Walmart )then Mittry Lake ( BLM ) for a couple of days then Slab City for 2 weeks then Anza Borrego
State Park, CA ( BLM )for 3 days, great hike and back to Slab City. Went to The Salton Sea, smelly and a waste of time I thought.

Played music @several campfires and "The Range" three times. Lots of fun. *The Range is an outside theatre of the absurd with amateur n pro musicians and a anything can happen atmosphere.

Last week been in Joshua Tree Nat'l Park hiking and exploring.
One night on BLM outside the park and two nights in the city of Joshua Tree camped with permission in parking lots. Then 29 Palms on BLM for a few days. Hiking in Joshua Tree was great on par with Zion in Utah. If you haven't been go to both you won't be disappointed.

Presently I'm on BLM two miles from Lake Havasu...Just by chance I parked right near 5 other RTR'ers that I briefly met before. I planned on two days, been here four. In a few days I'm heading to Laughlin,Lake Mead, Vegas, Valley of Fire.

March/April were wide open until the music festivals I mention below. Until today I met an old dude who's been coming to Lake Havasu for 20 yrs and knows every nook an cranny of the southwest like the back of his hand...He opened his tattered map book and spilled the beans as fast as I could write...so I'm building a loose itinerary from Vegas/The Grand Canyon, Sedona, AZ, 
Santa Fe, NM, maybe Durango, CO then downto TX a little west of Austin.

*I met a dude when I was playing in a drum circle at the Slabs and he hooked me up to volunteer at a few music festivals in Texas in April & May doin' security...3>4 hrs a day in exchange for a campsite n food, with the bonus of seeing live music all day. I confirmed both a few days ago.

That's it so far. It's dead quiet tonite, no generators, crickets barely audible, a cooler full of beer, no moon yet and the stars are shining like diamonds. 

CORNY but true.

Thanks Bob!  For get me started.

You're really living the good life. I'm excited for you!

You've been busy! We enjoyed your songs at the RTR. I'm sure you're getting a lot of new material with all of the interesting people that you've been meeting out here in the desert!

"He opened his tattered map book and spilled the beans as fast as I could write...
so I'm building a loose itinerary "

NoteBooks are very important. I need to get serious about organizing my notebooks, etc .

Awesome journey!   Keep up the updates!  

Maybe start your own notebook so that in the future you can be the wise old guy.

Wow, you are in your own boondocking network now! I remember at RTR you seemed a bit concerned that there were so many possible ways to go it was hard to choose.

There are so many points north and east of Durango that are among my favorite places to roadtrip --- I hope you don't have to rush through that area of Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Pagosa Springs (yes, huge hot springs facility right on main street), and Wolf Creek. If cold nights don't bother you, that area is spectacular when the aspens turn bright yellow in the Fall.

Keep us posted!

Openspaceman, thank u for posting! Really helps to bring to life the places I am hearing about. 

Congratulations on getting out there, that in itself is a huge success.  U must feel so free, after stealthing around the city. It would really help me if u keep.posting, there does seem to be routes places that make sense for newbies .
Will come back and ask questions later. :)