GM express vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David

Reaction score
We had the ford e van topic, so lets hear from the gm express van owners. How is your fuel mileage? I know my dad's full size Chevy truck gets the same mileage as my mid size Tacoma.. So how about the vans?

have a new chevy express passenger van 2500 regular body, 4.8 liter V-8. 14.5 in town and 17.5 highway. had a small gulfstream b+ motorhome built on a chevy cutaway van with a 6.0 liter gas engine, it got 11mpg to 12mpg. btw the express van is hardly broken in so mileage may increase a little.

Yes I was thinking maybe they would be pretty decent on mpg. Surprised there aren't many others with them.

I have a '96 Express 1500.&nbsp; Best (mixed city/highway with a/c) is on the plus side of 18 mpg; worst (all major city) 14.<br><br>Vickie

2004 Roadtrek/Chev Express 3500 6 litre.&nbsp; Averaged 17.46 mpg on a 2000 kilometer run last week.

2007, 3500 van with 6.0L engine. This van is used as a electrical service van so the mileage age is atrocious, its loaded with thousands of pounds of tools and materials. I also keep a 4, two 6's, an 8, a 10 a 12 and a 28' extension ladder on it so you can imagine how aerodynamic it is. So I get 10.5 pretty much all the time. I love this engine its seems to have an endless amount of power. I regularly pull a tilt trailer with a scissor lift(about 9000lbs) on it and handles it no problem. We also have Fords and I think they are junk, I'm not a Chevy guy or anything, I tend to prefer Japanese vehicles but when it come to full size vans I love my express. My company tried 5 or 6 Sprinters and they gave up on them. They refuse to buy them anymore because they are money pits. I never had one myself. I'm very interested in how the new full size Transit will compare.

2007 Express 3/4-ton cargo van with the 4.8L engine. About 17MPG.

I just purchased a 2006 Chevy Express 1500 with the 4.3l engine. Weight wise, the van has a 4'X8' sheet of plywood as a floor and the left side of the van lined with 3 wood shelves, so not a lot of weight. I was curious to see what my optimum highway mpg would be if I kept the speed at 55 mph. I used 2.268 gallons of gas running from gas station to gas station' 63.4 miles by my odometer. Yes, after the gas nozzle clicked off, I tried pumping again and it clicked off again within one tenth of a gallon. I got a surprising 27.95 mpg. I first thought that maybe my odometer might be wrong so I went to Google Maps and from gas station to gas station it gave me 67 miles distance. If Google's distance is right, then that would make it 29.54 mpg. I am now running a test for strictly city driving and will redo a highway driving test but next time at regular highway speeds (70 mph). I will post my findings as they come available.

For those that have not tried highway driving at a slower speed, give it a try, you might be surprised at the difference.

2011 2500 4.8 engine 6 speed trans; 20 in high top 21.5 hwy 18 to 19.5 city. I had the high top instaled and it did not change mpg.

on 2 trips I got 15.4, I think it was with my G3500 and a 6.0, my V6 Dodge only gets 14.7. I'm happy with the 6.0 as I wanted Tow Power.