Glasses in Los Algodones

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virgil Jones

Reaction score
I'll be coming to Quartzsite and I'm thinking of getting an eye exam, new prescription, new frame, and progressive transition lens with scratch and glare coating.  I have read a few not so good reviews of a couple of Los Algodones eye glass places on trip advisor. 

Does anyone have experience with getting glasses in Los Algodones, and, if so, which business?

I got dental work done there. I don't wear glasses so I can't speak to them specifically, but I can say that you're not always best served trying to research a business etc as a destination when going to Algodones. It's a total buyer's market. As soon as you walk into town you'll be inundated by two dozen offers to sell you glasses. Just shop around until you're comfortable and don't take the first offer you get.

I'm sure there are negative reviews out there, as there are with everything. I suggest don't read them, just go see for yourself. The firsthand experiences I've had have all been positive and no complaints about quality of material either. The Mexicans know their income there comes from North of the border and they don't want people going home talking poorly. Even the police watch out on your behalf (in the immediate four block radius that is).

Virgil Jones said:
I'll be coming to Quartzsite and I'm thinking of getting an eye exam, new prescription, new frame, and progressive transition lens with scratch and glare coating.  I have read a few not so good reviews of a couple of Los Algodones eye glass places on trip advisor. 

Does anyone have experience with getting glasses in Los Algodones, and, if so, which business?

Bob did a blog about buying eye glasses in Mexico, worth the time to look it up.

I got glasses last year in Algodones. Eye exam, progressive bifocal lenses with tint. They cost me $160. They are okay but I haven't fully adapted to them. Not sure why. These are my first bifocals and I generally only wear them occasionally, to give my eyes a break from contacts. Don't remember the eye doctor's name. I think was at the end of the first alley on the right, after you enter thru the border.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

becida said:
Bob did a blog about buying eye glasses in Mexico, worth the time to look it up.

Is there a link to that blog about the eyeglasses? How do I look it up? Thanks in advance  :)

DesertDweller said:
Is there a link to that blog about the eyeglasses? How do I look it up? Thanks in advance  :)

I'm reading this on-line. Up at the top of the page there is a button marked "Blog", that will take you too the blog. There is a search function or you could just look at them all. Some good reading there!

Since all the lenses are made in the same place, it all boils down to the skill of the person doing the eye exam. If you feel like things are being rushed, thank them and go somewhere else. I got a very thorough exam at Best Optical. And I got good-enough exams at Mendoza optical. Anti-glare coating might take several days turnaround rather than the usual one or two hours.

I could not find the blog post but did find the link to the youtube video (about 30 minutes long) where Bob walks thru the process of crossing the border and getting services: I found it very informative.

Eye exams are cheap here, and if you use that prescription to order glasses from zennioptical.com you won't be sorry. I've had nothing but positive experiences from Zenni and paid as little as $12.00 for good prescription eyeglasses. Bifocals and special coatings will be more, but not nearly as much as you pay locally.

I suggest you check out their website.

Don't know much about history, don't know much biology ...

In case you decide to go a different route from glasses in Mexico, a couple suggestions:

1.  Wal-Mart:  
As much as I hesitate to direct even more business toward that store, I feel like I need to mention that their optical shops provide exams for about 60 bucks. I just got one a little over a month ago (my first with them) and I was happy with the exam.  That said, I was not happy with the customer service provided by the optical technician. Long story short, when I asked for my pupillary distance (PD) measurement, she balked, refused to give it,  and started quoting Arizona law against giving me this measurement. I think that was complete bull crap. She did it because she knows that a PD measurement is what's needed to order glasses online, and if she gave it to me, I would not buy glasses from their shop. I eventually got the PD measurement, but it soured me on using them in the future. But like everything else at Walmart, it's cheap if that's important.

2. Zenni Optical:
Ditto on Zenni with a footnote.  I've been ordering my glasses from Zenni for over 5 years. Their system, prices, and results are good.   However, in my last two orders with them (a couple of years apart), they made the same strange mistake both times. Because their glasses with progressive lenses cost around $50 (instead of the typical $300), I ordered two pairs of the same glasses at the same time. Each time they made one pair correctly and one pair incorrectly. In fact, I'm in the middle of getting the second pair replaced again now from my most recent order.  It's still a mystery to me how they manage to do that.  That annoyance aside, I recommend them.

Tom

We use Wal-Mart for eye exams and the doctor will put your PD on the prescription and should be doing it if they aren't. We use Zenni and if one can sign up for their promotions, they sometimes offer a buy 2 and get a 3rd one free (we have 3 adults), or percentages off, 10% or 20% off the entire order. We all have very different prescriptions and no problems. Always read the reviews on line for specific eyeglasses as some are "easily" broken although the ones I order have bounced all around after flying through the air and held up.

The optometrist said that with our son, the technician who did the machine stuff did such a good job that he didn't need our uncooperative son to do that much, so anymore a technician can get the job done as far as prescription and the doc just looks at the health of the eyes or so I would guess from my conversation.

If you have the time to wait and don't have a passport or can't cross the border I have been going to America's Best. Their prices are about the same as going to Algodones however, you will have to wait a couple of weeks for your new glasses.

Is it possible to bring your own prescription.

Bast said:
Is it possible to bring your own prescription.

Sure, it saves them the cost of the "free" eye exam. There are only one or two companies doing eyeglasses in Algodones, with many storefronts under different names. Look for one that has helpful staff and frames you like. This year I went to a small one and got much better service. My glasses should be ready today, I'll check tomorrow. (High index is a special order, which some salespeople don't know about and try to give you the regular stuff.)

You can also go to Costco and pay $60 for eye exam for glasses (if it is for contacts the eye exam is more).  You do not need to be a member for eye exam, however, if you choose to buy your glasses or contacts from Costco, then a membership is required. 

But I usually get the Costco prescription that is good for one year and head over to North Hollywood to this place called Eyelab https://www.yelp.com/biz/eyelab-north-hollywood-2?osq=eye+glasses+lab

You can get 2 pairs of eye regular glasses for $100.  I do not wear bifocals and I would imagine it would be a bit more.  Anyways, I was told that main shops like Walmart, Costco, and optometrists offices charges you an arm and a leg for your glasses because they ship out your order to their lab.  Hence, eliminate the middle person and go to the lab directly and the savings goes into our pockets.