GIRLS' ROOM: Truck Stop Showers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider1987

Reaction score
Looking at shower options... gym membership vs everything else.  One of those everything else's is truck stop showers.  So, i was just wondering if any of you ladies have used one, which branch you used it at, if you felt safe, and how much it cost.  Thanks

I live in a 5th wheel TT... I can shower here but an RV shower is basically just get clean and get out.

I have long, thick hair and an rv shower doesn't always get all of the soap out .....so about twice a month I go to the local Love's truck stop and shower, wash my hair and basically just soak up the never ending hot water.

I have been there quite a few times and I have never felt uncomfortable. I usually go in the day time during off hours, so I don't have to wait. If you get there when they are busy you will have to take a number and wait for an available stall. Their busy times are usually early morn, noon and evening.

At $11.00 +or- a pop they are not real economical to use all of the time. But for that money you get a couple of towels, wash cloth, floor mat, liquid soap on the wall and all the hot water you like. And they do the laundry when you are done :) I think I have taken the over 45 min but under an hour and nothing said.

The Love's near me has always been clean, but I do use shower shoes just because. All in all ... I like a truck stop shower... I would do it more often if it was cheaper

$11? I guess the $40 gym membership makes more sense if showering more frequently.

I've not used truck stop showers yet but both the laundromats in Ehrenberg and Quartzite have shower facilities, both of which are more than adequate.

Ehrenberg is cheaper and no time limit, Quartzite is more expensive but the showers are cleaned between customers and supply one small towel (which I've never used anyways). Quartzite has a 20 minute use limit so no long, luxurious shower there!

I just recently tried out my solar shower for the first time and I was impressed. I've got the style made out of a weed sprayer tank, 6' of hose and a shower head with a shutoff. I was actually quite worried that I wouldn't be able to get the shampoo out of my hair because I didn't think I could get enough pressure out of it but it was absolutely no problem.

One winter when I stayed in Indiana I used the local YMCA for working out but mostly for their shower facilities. Depending on where you're travelling (city or rural), Y's might be a better solution for you than truck stops.

I've used a Pilot truck stop a couple of times... the same one in the very small town of Columbus, Montana (they have a city park along the Yellowstone River with free campsites for ?? 2weeks ???).

My experience there was great. You pay at the front cash register and then you go back to a little lounge/TV room where you can use wifi and wait if you need to. I went at times they were not busy so no real waiting.

The shower rooms were large with the same amenities described for Love's. What I liked a LOT was that they have a huge steamer machine that they roll to each used room and they steam it clean between every customer.... I hung out in the lounge the first time to watch this so I'd know how they do it.

On my second trip, the woman doing the stream cleaning told me that the fee covers any number of people who use the shower room at the same time... like if you had kids, they can also go in and shower with the parent present. And then with a wink, she said or it can be two adults. LOL That made me feel just a bit sad for the first time on that trip that I was solo.

If I remember correctly, I think that Columbus truck stop was just under $10.

I used a solar shower bag for outside days and on cold days inside quick wash-ups on my last trips, but have a weed sprayer shower to try out this summer. I carry a pop up tent for showering along with a plastic basin to stand in to keep my feet washed and off the dirt. (I pack stuff inside it at the back of my rig when the basin is not in use so it doesn't take up much extra space at all.)

Thanks. I will be traveling out of my suv, so can't really make any sort of indoor shower for myself, but i do have a solar bag, however i've seen the weed sprayer technique which looks better, but i guess the black solar bag has the advantage of heating up faster? Idk. I'm most likely going to need some sort of cheap gym membership (i think planet fitness for $10 a month gets you 10 showers), then do a combo of truck stops, solar bag, baby wipes, wash hair in sinks...whatever. Lol.

I really don't think that one heats faster than the other. How fast water heats depends on the ambient temperature and the volume of water given that both a solar bag and the sprayer are both black.

Keep in mind that water weighs 8 lbs per gallon and that you have to lift it up with the solar bag to get pressure because it's gravity feed.

I chose the pressure sprayer because of the weight and not having anyplace to lift the bag on to even if I could lift it way up over my head. With an SUV, you may have better luck lifting the solar bag to the roof whereas in my hightop van I had no place to put the bag.

The only other advantage of the solar bag is that it can be rolled up for storage when not in use.

I have used truck stop showers (when needed) for many years now, Flying J, Love's, Pilot... all the national brands. I have never felt unsafe during daylight hours. I always use shower shoes and my own towels. Another trick that a truck driver friend told me about is rubbing alcohol. After you're dressed but before you put your shoes on apply alcohol to your bare feet covering the entire foot and between the toes. Put your sock on then your shoe. Never let your foot touch the floor after you clean it with the alcohol. I also use this method at the Y or gym. I sometimes find myself in locations where I can't use my personal shower methods, this sure is better than being dirty.

I drove a truck for 10 years. I found the Flying J truck stops almost all have 2 women only showers so there's usually no waiting. I have been out of trucking for 6 years now so I don't know what they cost but one way to avoid the cost, if you can do it, is to go around to the truck fuel islands and ask a driver for a shower ticket. Drivers get free showers for a purchase of more than 50 gallons of fuel so most drivers will have extra showers available. I suggest trying to find a female driver to ask simply because it's less intimidating. Male drivers can be extremely sexist and since you're young and good looking you WILL be hit on. If you can stand your ground and not be too submissive then you are likely to get a shower ticket without being harassed.

T/A truck stops are not my favorite but it's way easier to get a shower ticket because they print out at the pump instead of going on a card. Many drivers just drive off without that ticket and it gets left hanging out of the pump. At least that's the way it was 6 years ago.

Good luck.  :)

waverider1987 said:
Thanks.  I will be traveling out of my suv, so can't really make any sort of indoor shower for myself, but i do have a solar bag, however i've seen the weed sprayer technique which looks better, but i guess the black solar bag has the advantage of heating up faster? Idk.  I'm most likely going to need some sort of cheap gym membership (i think planet fitness for $10 a month gets you 10 showers), then do a combo of truck stops, solar bag, baby wipes, wash hair in sinks...whatever.  Lol.

I found that when I washed my hair everyday it would get greasy faster. So I 'trained' my hair and now I only have to wash it every 3 days. In the van I spray wash as well as use wipes and such, I also used the spay bottle to remove the sleeping flat spot on the side of my head :), then I use the sink for my hair. However I have to have a shower once a week otherwise I feel dirty. I really enjoy truck stop showers for the reason mentioned above. One time this truck driver was talking to the lady at the cashier. When she found out I was there for a shower, she turned to the driver and 'told' him he should buy it for me with all his extra points. He turned to me, smiled and said "Sure". I'm a little old lady, there was nothing spooky about it. I like truck stops, people are very friendly. Given a choice I would stay there rather than Walmart. Feels more like a community for lack of better word.

When I travel with my husband we share the shower for the same price.

Nicole

PS: since English is a second language for me I had to get used to a few hum! moments but one thing I never understood is why hair is singular but bangs are plurial....Anyone?

I've showered at truck stops and laundry mats mostly. I've even been known to pay and spend the night at a state park in order to shower. Most recently, when I was in Lone Pine CA off US-395 (Alabama Hills), I asked at the Visitors Center where I could get a shower, the ranger pointed me to the Whitney Portal Hostel. For $5, very clean facilities, towel, soap, no time limit ... it couldn't be beat. So, hostels are now on my "list" of possible places to look for a shower in the future.

In between showers, I sponge bathe with spray bottles nightly and dry-shampoo my hair with corn starch as needed ... it works!

Suanne

I've done gym memberships and truck stops. I like the truck stop showers better, and they are almost always cleaned between uses. Gym showers are cleaned... daily(?) at best. The upside is you get a gym to work out on, and the wifi is almost always free and included.

Loves/etc is pretty much always cleaned between each use, I've never tried to use one at night, but then you would be hard pressed to find me outside after dark in towns/cities/around people, unless I knew the place very very well.

Hostels are hit/miss, sometimes they are fabulous, the Santa Cruz, CA hostel for example is $3 for a shower, no time limits, etc.

In my opinion Baby wipes/etc are fabulous for the daily cleaning, the truck stop showers are for spoiling and washing hair!

I am a little confused. When I have been at a Love's, Pilot or T/A I always see signs that say showers for professional drivers only. Is this true only in the east.
Bast

I run long distance races and stopped at a truck stop in TN to shower at 4am. No issues at all, $5 and they supplied soap and towels. I even rinsed off my clothes and then took a nap inside the convenience store (they had a couple of booths). The cashiers were friendly and helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

waverider1987 said:
I'm most likely going to need some sort of cheap gym membership (i think planet fitness for $10 a month gets you 10 showers), then do a combo of truck stops, solar bag, baby wipes, wash hair in sinks...whatever.  Lol.

There is no limit on showers at PF.  I know people who work out every morning before work then shower, so that's 20 a month right there.

PS: since English is a second language for me I had to get used to a few hum! moments but one thing I never understood is why hair is singular but bangs are plurial....Anyone?
[/quote]

Nicole,
Never, ever try to figure out the crazy English language. There are so many weird things about it not found in other languages and I don't think I would have ever been able to learn it if I were not my first language. Kudos to you for even trying! What is your first language and how did you end up here? Probably the story needs a thread of its own.

I have paid day use fee at campgrounds to shower and picnic, then moved on down the road to boondock.

Bast said:
I am a little confused. When I have been at a Love's, Pilot or T/A I always see signs that say showers for professional drivers only. Is this true only in the east.
Bast

I'm a little late to answer this but for anyone else that comes across it signage really depends on the establishment and the set up.  Many of the bigger chains with newer facilities such as T/A, Pilot, Flying J, etc. the showers are located in the professional drivers areas so the assumption is that the general public won't be accessing them.

I have a class A CDL but I don't abuse the privilege.  Most drivers try to shower and use the laundry during the peak hours of 5am-9am and 4pm-9pm so I avoid grabbing showers/laundry during those times.  Also, most chains are using points cards that when a driver fuels a certain amount of gallons they earn enough points for showers.  When they gave out shower tickets it was easier to get showers that way.  Smaller truck stops I've found are either hard core "show us your CDL" types or welcome the additional business as long as it isn't during peak driver usage.