GIRLS' ROOM: Gym Memberships and the YMCA (YWCA)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bast

Reaction score
Hi
I've noticed that when we talk about showering and gym memberships people talk about private gyms like Planet Fitness but I've never seen a mention of the Y. Is there a reason for this. I am considering joining the Y before I hit the road but am wondering if another gym would be more beneficial.
Bast

The private gyms that are franchises recognize a membership throughout their system.

YMCA's are sometimes joined into small regional groups but don't necessarily recognize other areas members so you have to be a member of THAT facility to use it.

I also found that a lot of them don't have a daily visitor rate which I always check for first when traveling if there's no shower facilities in town. I'm not often going to be in an area long enough to pay for a month.

I also found that the Y's are much more family oriented and for example, have the pool schedule filled with swim classes, age swims, etc. whereas the fitness gyms are more geared to the adult population.

I thought about the Y until I looked into the cost: $135 to join, plus $45/month.
Planet Fitness is $20/month.

If you buy a membership to Planet Fitness in one place, is it good for other locations and other states? (I'm only interested in the West.)

TrainChaser said:
If you buy a membership to Planet Fitness in one place, is it good for other locations and other states?  (I'm only interested in the West.)

There are 2 levels of gym membership with PF: The $10/mo will only get you into your "home" gym whereas the $20/mo will get you into any PF in the US. Additionally, with the $20/mo plan, you can take a guest with you for free every time you visit the gym, so if you are traveling as a couple, that's definitely a good deal.

I have a Y membership and this is how we shower when traveling. If you are in a lower income bracket the cost is very reasonable. When you join a Y make sure the gym subscribes to the AWAY (Always Welcome At the Y) program.

In my experience traveling, there is always a Y on the way. I just call ahead to see if they welcome AWAY members. I've never found one that doesn't. We've had good experiences (except one place didn't have separate stalls for the men--my son was horrified!). I've considered parking my big white daycare van next to theirs overnight, too! (but have never done it :) )

Tracy