Giardia in dogs and cats

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer

Reaction score
Perhaps you already know this but for those who don't...

I have an elderly little dog, who has become a frequent visitor to the vet.  About two months ago, she started turning her nose up to even her favorite foods, then had a bout of very liquid stools for a couple of days.  Went to vet and he asked for a stool sample next time it happened.  Well, that day she was better, ate everything I offered, became more like her old self.  A few weeks passed and she did it again, a day of not eating, lethargy, obviously not feeling well.  Next day, one watery stool.  So I gathered a sample, dropped it at the vet, and they called me later to say she has giardia!!  We started medication that day.

From what I can glean on google searches, many animals show no symptoms and aren't visibly affected, no problem.  But in puppies, elderlies and immune compromised animals, it can lead to serious issues.

I thought she was just getting older and actually took her in thinking it was time.  He said to wait, that he felt it would be jumping the gun.  He was right!  Giardia never occurred to me!  The symptoms came and went over a few days at a time.

She never drank wild water (always leashed so this I know).  But she does sniff at deer poop and now and then would snatch a bite of it when I wasn't paying close enough attention.

So, if your dog starts acting like this, even just one watery stool, especially if it's older or not real healthy, have it checked!

My little old lady is getting better and is back to bossing me around again.  It's what we do.

Glad you had a positive outcome! It is awful to lose a dog.

This is the kind of thing that is probably very hard to monitor for most people with multiple dogs, or who let their dogs roam. Either way, they can have access to a lot of poop to eat, and for our dogs, that can mean diarrhea regularly.

My dogs monthly heart worm pill, Heartguard Plus, includes an ingredient to protect from anything she may consume out of doors.

She loves to drink from puddles, creeks, etc., and is always “tasting” things she finds on the ground.   :-/

She was once a starving, dehydrated dog, and has never gotten over it, always eating things she shouldn’t in case they may provide sustenance.

If you could see her, you would know she is not starving any longer  :p, but she seems to retain some base fear that the next meal won’t come.

And so, her monthly pill protects her from particularly unclean water, I am told, and in 8 years she very rarely has upset her cast iron stomach.

Nice. Must be better stuff than we use, because all our dogs throw up occasionally, and diarrhea is common. Of course, we have wildlife all over the place here -- mass quantities really -- and four dogs, so it's impossible to monitor each one perfectly unless you want to rein them in so completely that they have no joy in life. Poop will be eaten*, as much as possible as fast as possible before the next dog gets to the "goodies," so we just have to live with stomach upset.

Yeah, mine has to be leashed in town where the S&B is, as well as when traveling, but for occasional and closely monitored wild romps in empty spaces.

Her opportunity for consuming the poop of other animals is pretty limited, thank goodness, and she’d really rather roll in something like duck poop than eat it.

That’s the real hazard.   :s

LOL yeah one of ours loves doing that ... and then trying to jump up and share it. Somehow it seems even weirder with her because she is such a girly-girl otherwise.

In december, a wave of giardia came through the dog shelter I volunteer at. Lots of sickly pups. :-( But they all pulled through.

Sorry to hear you ran into a spat of giardia Stargazer, but glad that you got it under control! You did the right thing in getting her fecal analysis done! Giardia can be a tough one to clear up, as pets can re-infect themselves over and over again! It's also important to treat it quickly as humans can become infected with the parasite as well.....no fun!!! I do want to clear something up that was mentioned, Heartgard Plus is an ivermectin/pyrantel based medication that prevents heartworm disease (that's the ivermectin part) and helps to prevent intestinal worms (that's the pyrantel part), but it will not work against the protozoan giardia. If you suspect giardia or coccidia, or your pet has non-resolving diarrhea, I would STRONGLY encourage everyone out there to consult your veterinarian. The most common treatment is oral metronidazole and panacur, but hygiene is just as important! Clean up all poop, disinfect with bleach (1 part bleach/9 parts water), wash your hands after contact with any suspected areas of contamination.
Thanks for bringing this topic up, I'll add it to the list of topics to write about in my upcoming blog! Stay safe and healthy everyone! Dr. Lisa :)

If you suspect Giardia, be aware that it doesn't always show up in every stool exam. You may have to get it checked more than once.

Also, most mammals are susceptible to it, domestic and wild, and can pass it on.