Getting Used To Living In A Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessie

Reaction score
Hi everyone. First of all, happy Turkey Day. 
I hit the road in my van three weeks ago today. She is running great, the only issue is the drain plug for the oil pan is stuck so I have to find a good mechanic somewhere here in southern New Mexico to replace it and do an oil change. And she now has a name, Boudicca, after the kick ass, red headed warrior queen of the Icenti in Britain in the first century. 
Down sizing from a 27 foot class C, I'm getting used to living in a van. Newbie move, I brought too much stuff, but I figure that I can weed out what I don't use as I go. My layout is working out well, very functional. My dog and kitties seem to be happy.
Of course there are things to finish/modify, but all in all I think we are all settling in. 
It is a great learning experience and I am enjoying the road.
Looking forward to meeting more feral old women are the WRTR.

Hi Tessie. This feral, not so old (it's attitude, not chronological) is also adjusting to life on the road. I started just 10 days ago. Hunkered down in southern NM for this holiday and figuring out life out of my SUV with my little dog, Noodle. My rig is named Luna. I saw such a beautiful moon rise last night, at the same time the sun was setting with the magical light of the NM desert. Happy thanksgivings, I am giving thanks for being here and that it isn't low 20s (like a few days ago). Not sure when I'll make it to AZ, but hope to see you at the WRTR. Safe travels. Less is more.

So happy you are enjoying your life. Downsizing is never easy but weeding out as you go is a great way to handle it.

Best wishes to all and enjoy your T day

Wait, you're both in southern NM? Are you going to meet up/hang out?

The Dire Wolfess

Hadn't thought about it but would be happy to. Hanging out near Deming.

Deming was my destination but am sidelined, temporarily. Still a few ladies out that way. Best of luck!

I'll be in Deming starting Dec 1. Going to try settling down at the Hi-Low Ranch (Loners on Wheels place) maybe for the winter, if I like the area. I've been on the road continuously since March of '15, feeling like I need a respite. Is there good boondocking around there?

The Dire Wolfess

Brrrr sounds a bit cold at night and during the day at this time of year. I would have to use more heat than I might want to pay for. Especially if the wind chill factor kicks in.

I'm envious that y'all are already out there. My plan was to leave this coming Tuesday however my sister screwed that up. Now gotta wait til closer to Christmas or just after. I'd leave her behind but we pitched in for a pop-up camper so it kinda wouldn't be cool for me to leave her behind. But OH how I want to LOL

Safe travels! See some of y'all at the WRTR!!

I stayed at Rockhound State Park. It's only 14 bucks a night with electricity and water, plus a spectacular view. Otherwise I boondocked at Walmart. I had been on the road continuously for 3 weeks and I really needed that break. New Mexico sells a yearly pass for somewhere around $ 250 which allows camping in state parks for either free or 4 bucks a night, depending on who I talked to. Not sure what else is available. I was passing through.

I can understand the points on the cheap travel. Just the same, and something I've thought about, would be renting cheap rooms in different cities for 4-6 months at a time. I've seen cheap rooms in Chicago, San Fran, Portland, Kansas City and other places. You could travel and live cheaply, get to know a roommate or two and bicycle tour different cities all the time. 

I really tried to wrap my brain around the van dwelling concept. I'm a pretty open minded person. I just couldn't seem to find a dramatic cost savings benefit to outweigh the many disadvantages to that kind of living situation.

I guess I would have to ask why hang out in a forum about van dwelling if you have already decided it is not for you?  Are you hoping to get your mind changed?

Feelit said:
I can understand the points on the cheap travel. Just the same, and something I've thought about, would be renting cheap rooms in different cities for 4-6 months at a time.

An interesting friend that we met at the RTRs did this for a few years. I think he stayed for a year in each city, joined local groups, experienced all that was unique about the area, and immersed himself in the culture. He decided on a vandwelling life to live closer to nature and travel more widely. Choose what makes you happy and remember nothing is permanent. You can always take a different path if the one you're on doesn't satisfy you.
Karen

I think we are all unique and have the right to try on different paths as we see fit to. I certainly have. That's what makes life interesting. While staring at the same 4 walls day in, day out isn't for me at the moment, as I grow older and possibly infirm, it could grow to be a comfort someday. Who knows?
I choose to live in the now and to savor each day as it comes.
For nor, in my van, I have everything I need.

Feral Old Women ... LOVE IT! I've been full-time in a minivan since June 2017, and I've been downsizing since my first four days on the road! It's an ongoing process, and I find minimalists to be fascinating. By it's nature, living in a van is minimalistic, but it's amazing what you can really fit into such a small space! 

Good luck on the road, maybe run into you at the WRTR~

Mary Ellen