Getting the van ready and making lists

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dczrose

Reaction score
I recently posted as a newbie (but stalker for over a year). I am in the planning stages and hope to be on the road by Sept. 1st 2015. These are my plans. If anyone has any additional suggestions feel free to add BUT keep in mind that I am on a tight budget!

Van- 1992 Plymouth Voyager
Transmission is being rebuilt-  will be totally maintenance before take off. Tires are like new/spare under van (a plus!)
Building a 30" wide x 64" long "bed" frame behind the drivers captain seat (the two full seats are being removed and stored). This bed will not be attached to the van. It will be 18" high and the front of the frame will be open for storage. The bed top will be hinged for additional/future storage.

Adding a trailer hitch and having a carry rack made for additional cargo room

In search of a removable roof rack--- for possible future roof storage.

In search of/sales
small screened room to use outside of van when boondocking 
Computer tablet (already have android phone on STalk service)

Already have

Coleman lantern (as above)
Converter for electric hook ups on small items
Small flat screen TV with DVD player
TV signal converter box/antenna ( may look for a roof antenna) 
18" tall storage drawers for under bed
Small folding table
Folding camp chair
Small laptop table top with light (I am a reader so this will be handy)
all other necessary "camp" supplies as I have camped for years

Making supply lists  (but keeping it as light as possible as supplies can be picked up)

When you speak of " small compressed gas cans" for the camp stove and lantern do you mean the small green bottles of propane?  If so and you have the space and the funds to do so I would get a 20 LB propane bottle with a hose (and regulator if needed) to use. Propane is much cheaper to purchase in the larger quantity.  Those green bottles get expensive in a hurry.  There are smaller bottles than the 20 lb bottles available that would take up less space as an option also.  I do keep a couple of the little green bottles on hand for when I don't pay 'tention and run  out the larger bottle.

Howiet

Howiet said:
When you speak of " small compressed gas cans" for the camp stove and lantern do you mean the small green bottles of propane?  If so and you have the space and the funds to do so I would get a 20 LB propane bottle with a hose (and regulator if needed) to use. Propane is much cheaper to purchase in the larger quantity.  Those green bottles get expensive in a hurry.  There are smaller bottles than the 20 lb bottles available that would take up less space as an option also.  I do keep a couple of the little green bottles on hand for when I don't pay 'tention and run  out the larger bottle.

Howiet
Thanks---I may do that in future as space permits. I plan to use a campfire whenever possible also. I am a mean campfire cook with an iron skillet. The gas would mostly be used to make coffee and the light only for a few hours at night. They are actually very easy on use like this but yes- a larger tank would be much more economical.

Don't forget to consider ventilation. One of the most important aspects of vehicle life!

It's also possible to get an adapter that will fill one of those small 1lb green bottles from a larger 20lb tank.

Just in case that's helpful. You could fill small tanks from a larger one repeatedly if you have somewhere to put the 20lb tank.

I don't know enough about that van to know, but one thing to be aware of is that when you are sitting on the bed you want to be able to sit on it without hitting your head, that gets old really fast!!

I'd also consider turning the passenger seat around so it faces into the van. Makes an incredibly comfortable recliner! But, you have to be sure it doesn't block the view through the window, that would be illegal and dangerous.
Bob

Sounds like you got a good plan. I've been using a 20 pounder, one fill lasts about a month for me but it takes up a good bit space when I bring it inside my van, IIRC my van is a few inches bigger inside than the voyager is. I have been wanting to try a 5 or 10lb tank but they are spendy.
1992 should have rain gutters so finding a deal on a roof rack should be no problem. I cut down a heavy duty steel ladder rack designed for a full size van to fit my van.

TMG51 is right.  Find yourself some nylon - not metal - screening.  Maybe some new from a camping supply house, maybe salvage some from a ruined screen house.  Get a bunch of small, powerful magnets.  Maybe Amazon sells both.

You want to be able to attach the insect screen over your windows so you can roll them down or up with the screening in place.  If some of your rear windows push out rather than roll down, the screen needs to be large and loose so it will stay in place when the window is pushed out.

MAYBE consider a 12 volt fan, but that will get you into the whole "If I run it all night, will my car still start in the morning?"  question that leads so many of us here into the world of house batteries and solar panels.

Regards
John

i'm happy to have an extra marine battery in the back to run the electronics, without having to worry if i'm flattening my starter battery. i got rid of my solar system, i just charge it up when i'm driving and its all the power i need. less than $100 and great to have a spare starter batter on hand too.

steveh2112 said:
i'm happy to have an extra marine battery in the back to run the electronics, without having to worry if i'm flattening my starter battery. i got rid of my solar system, i just charge it up when i'm driving and its all the power i need. less than $100 and great to have a spare starter batter on hand too.

This is an old post, but if you're still on here, how do you charge your battery while driving?

you add a solenoid and wiring. there are many threads about it. we can walk you through it. it's a fairly cheap and well worth it add on however this should not be your only charge source, unless you drive several hours everyday as it could take up to 8 hours of driving to recharge your house battery and it should be recharged everyday. highdesertranger