Generator runs rough...almost dies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarky2323

Reaction score
Trying to get my generator working properly.  Here's what is happening.  when I push the manual start, it acts like it wants to start, runs for about 2 seconds, then dies.  I saw the altitude adjustment, increased to around 5000 (I'm in South Carolina, about 300 ft).  Now it will run but it's like hums for 10 seconds, almost dies, then revs back up and runs for about 10 seconds then repeats itself.  I see what looks like the throttle moving back and forth when this happens.  The light code flashes 3 times, saying Service required.  Oh, generator is an Onan Microquiet 4000. 
Im thinking maybe the fuel filter needs replaced, most likely the oil changed (havent looked yet), can it be anything else.  If the carburetor needs cleaned, does anyone know of a YouTube video showing that?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

On them stupid things it can be a bunch of different failures. Fuel pump, oil level, clogged carb, mis adjusted alt setting, even voltage regulator.

The symptoms you describe are the carburetor needs cleaning (jets). I love my Onan 2800. When I first got my van, the generator hadn't been run in over a year. Carburetor clogged with gum. If you can get the fuel line off and stick it in a can of gas, you could run some sea foam or your favorite brand into the carb and let it soak.

B and said:
If you can get the fuel line off and stick it in a can of gas, you could run some sea foam or your favorite brand into the carb and let it soak.
Will sea foam make it smoke like crazy when started afterwards?

Until all the Seafoam burns up. Supposed to have the added benefit of cleaning the carbon off the combustion chamber. I've never pulled a head on anything I've put it in to substantiate that claim. I have run it through a lot of lawnmowers to good affect of cleaning the carb. The Onan generators are a single cylinder engine just like a lawnmower.

Sometimes you have to give up and go to the pros. Just saying. I fooled around with mine for about a year, trying all those DIY tricks. Since I have solar, I don't use it that much. Finally went to Cummins and they said it wasn't putting out 60hz. Only about 58hz. For $150 it was fine again, no more stalling. Someone smarter than I, could probably add a DIY test and fix for that problem. Not that I'm saying that's your problem. I'm saying modern gadgets can get too complicated for do it yourself.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

^ like i said voltage regulator can cause it. They have so many auto kill functions theyre a pain to diagnose. And yes oil level first and foremost. Extremely sensitive to oil level.