Generator Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerD

Reaction score
So I purchased the Energizer EZV2000P.  2000w peak / 1600w continuous.

It has an eco mode which basically drops the RPM down and brings it up based on the load needed.

Runtime is listed as 11.5 hours at 25% load (400 watts).

I'm wondering when eco mode is on if the lower RPM level it runs at (idle) is producing the 400 watts that they speak of?

Is there a way to test and know?

The reason I ask is I'm wondering if a lower load than 400 watts would have a longer runtime. 

When eco mode is on, it's running at the lowest RPM possible and will run out of gas even if 0 load is put on it. So I figure I might as well be using whatever that minimum wattage is. Just is it 400 or is it less?

Hope that all makes sense?

The lower the load the lower the fuel use.  At no load, nothing plugged in, it will use gas at the lowest rate.  Powering just a cell phone charger will not result in a measurable increase in fuel use because the actual fuel use is hard to measure and that difference is tiny.  

If you plug in an incandescent 100 watt bulb it will then be producing 100 watts.  It will not produce 400 watts and waste 300.    

Zero, one, or two 100 watt bulbs will make measurable differences.  You could run it out of gas then add one ounce and measure the run time with zero, one, or two 100 watt bulbs.  

The incandescent bulbs still available are 3 way like 50, 100, 150 watt.

Almost sounds like you are trying to 'hypermile' your generator.

A certain amount of gas is used just to run the thing at idle, any added load will consume more fuel. That's just the way they work.

But very small loads, (laptop, phone charger, cordless drill charger, USB ports) under 100-200 watts or so, will make almost no noticeable difference in run time or fuel consumed compared with running it at idle with no load at all.

Heavy loads like large battery chargers pulling a lot of amps, or powerful work lights, air conditioners, cooking appliances, electric space heaters, etc, WILL reduce run time, and burn more gas.