Generator question-Onan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pen Wize

Reaction score
Is it me, or are the Onan generators really loud? I am brand new to all of this, so big learning curve abounds for me. Can anyone recommend a better generator that would be quieter? I will be purchasing a Class C RV between 22ft to 25 ft, if that helps...

Also, I just put in my Amazon wish list the 
Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Bundle Kit
Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit

[size=small]Adjustable Solar Panel Mount Mounting Rack Bracket -- Boat, RV, Roof, Off-Grid[/size]

[size=small]I plan to be dry camp/boondock as much as I can. Does this sound about right? Also, I know I will need a battery bank. Oh geez, is that right? What else do I need for this? [/size]

[size=small]Thank you so much for any help. I am feeling so clueless right now. I must go read up more on on how do it and watch some vidieos. [/size]

[size=small]I have no idea why this all turned red and bold to boot![/size]

Well actually, no they're not "really noisy." Unless the exhaust pipe is compromised somehow. No chassis-mount generator will be more quiet. Maybe Honda portables might...

They make noise, certainly... they're an engine, after all. But there's a LOT of small engines that are a LOT more loud than an Onan generator. Onan isn't without it's faults, most of which revolve around the exorbitant cost of parts and service, but as a generator they're reliable as long as you take care of them. Exercise it for two hours every month religiously, service it when it needs it, and they won't let you down.

hepcat said:
Well actually, no they're not "really noisy."  Unless the exhaust pipe is compromised somehow.  No chassis-mount generator will be more quiet.  Maybe Honda portables might...

They make noise, certainly... they're an engine, after all.  But there's a LOT of small engines that are a LOT more loud than an Onan generator.  Onan isn't without it's faults, most of which revolve around the exorbitant cost of parts and service, but as a generator they're reliable as long as you take care of them.  Exercise it for two hours every month religiously, service it when it needs it, and they won't let you down.

I am betting the one I heard had not been serviced or taken care of since it was quite loud. Thank you for your helpful response. What does it mean to exercise the generator? I have so much to learn.

Pen Wize said:
I am betting the one I heard had not been serviced or taken care of since it was quite loud. Thank you for your helpful response. What does it mean to exercise the generator? I have so much to learn.

As I said, they're a gasoline engine with a muffler, so they do make noise but it's usually not so much noise as to be objectionable unless you're right next to it.  You'll have to listen to several of them running to get a sense of what's "normal" for an Onan.  I have two of them, a 2800 and a 7.5kw and neither are objectionably loud to me when they run.  In the daytime in a parking lot, you won't even notice that one is going.  At night, in a quiet campground, you'll hear it distinctly.

"Exercising" a generator means running it for two hours at a time, once a month, under a half-load.  That keeps the electrical contacts clean in the generator and keeps all of the moving parts in the engine lubricated and running freely.  One of the big problems with generators is the fuel system.  They have very tiny parts... and when gasoline evaporates and dries out, it leaves varnish that causes those tiny parts in the fuel system to seize and malfunction.  That varnish cannot be cleaned out. ultimately necessitating the replacement of the carburetor and fuel pump; a $500 repair, minimum.

Folks tout low-hours generators in old RVs as a selling point.  Low mileage is a good thing...  but low hours on an older generator almost certainly means large repair bills.  Don't pass up an otherwise good RV because of that, but just recognize that if the generator doesn't run...  it's not inexpensive and make sure the selling price of the coach reflects that.

It isn't always about how loud. The steady drone of my 2000K inverter generator can be very annoying after a few hours.

from what I've read is that i read about onans having problems and i can't remember the last time i read a bad thing about yamahas or hondas. i can't say that about ANY of the others,,,,and it seems i read about a disproportionate amount of onans with carb probs,,,

hepcat you saved me a boatload of typing!

Spot on....I had an Onan on my Itasca and yep, you gotta run the thing, so the thing will run!

They make aftermarket kits for generator exhausts that raise the exhaust up above the roof.  This is mainly to prevent yourself or close neighbors from smelling the exhaust, but as a side benefit they are also said to make the generator quieter.  They are not expensive.  It is also possible for handy types to build their own, though I don't know how much money you would save.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-...-1&keywords=gen+turi+generator+exhaust+system

[url=http://www.doityourselfrv.com/how-to-make-homemade-rv-gen-turi/]http://www.doityourselfrv.com/how-to-make-homemade-rv-gen-turi/[/url]

I typed in "IRV2" an RV forum, then "Class C" then "Onan" and got 141 pages... now not all were specific to a smaller Onan gas, but it didn't take long to find threads that applied.

The gen sets are not "whisper quiet", I had an older 4K built into a 23 foot class c, it powered the smaller single roof mount air conditioner and the microwave, though not at the same time.  It did require annual servicing (oil, check filter and plug) and it did need to be run under load (t least 50%) 3-4 hours a month.  When I bought the 10 yr old RV the hourmeter was just over 200, which wasn't a good sign. The PO said that it didn't start anymore. Yep, $600 later with all the fuel lines and carb cleaned out and a new filter and plug, it ran.

Here's one of the IRV2 responses:
"Onan recommends their 15-40 weight oil and as you are probably still under warranty, you might want to consider using their oil.

There is no filter on the 4KY Onan generator, and it only uses about 2 quarts of oil, so frequent changes are cheap and beneficial to an air cooled unit. We normally recommend to our customers that change it every 75 to 100 hrs max. Obviously the owners manual also provides guide lines. Also, watch that air filter as it needs to be kept clean. Nothing special, but again, it's pretty cheap to change the air filter versus serious repairs on the genset.

At the risk of offering something that you might already know, I'll say it anyway. Your genset should be run every month for about an hour to exercise the engine. IN ADDITION, it should be run with approx 50-75% load during the exercise. This is necessary to 1)run the engine, and 2) heat up the alternator drying out the field coils, stator, etc. This will prevent any excess moisture, bugs, etc from staying in the alternator and causing problems later.". End of quote

The new inverter-generators are cheaper and portable, but that portability comes with a cost, namely theft, small gas capacity, no remote start. The built-in of the Onan avoids all that and is nice when its dark, windy or rainy, and not having to refuel is nice too, as it feeds off your over 1/4 tank main fuel tank.

You will hear it, and so will your closer neighbors, say within 100 feet, especially if its going full out to run the rooftop air conditioning.  Most parks have generator rules, some in Yosemite forbid them, others are more reasonable like its ok to run anytime from 8 am to 8 pm.  Here's a sample from one of those IRV2 threads:

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, tahoma, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', sans-serif]"Hi Mr Camper[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, tahoma, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', sans-serif]We are campground hosts for the National Forest Service at Sam Houstion NF about 60 miles north of Houstion, TX. [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, tahoma, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', sans-serif]Quiet hours are from 10PM till 06AM. This includes any generator, radios, music and sitting around the camp fire solving the problems of the world in a loud voice. Most campers are great but once in a while we have to reminde some of quiet hours."    End of quote[/font]