Gc2 or egc2 at SAMs....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galladanb

Reaction score
Went to Batteries Plus, looked at what they had and because the guy was kinda cocky, but not really sharing of helpful sales direction, we left...

After shopping for some goofy hinges at a local ace true value, we thought, hey while we're out, SAMs is another 30 minutes down the road, so let's go there.

At SAMs, they have both the GC2 and the EGC2, both in the black or gray Duracell, made in Penn.
The Gc2 is 84.52, while the EGC2 was 117.99. I think they were 215ah and 230ah.
Core charges are $16 each
Taxes run about 10%

Now we don't have a membership there but we can get a day pass for a 10% add on fee, or either of the 2 annual memberships at $45 and $100 each. The larger one gets a $25 buck reward...

Seems like a good deal? I don't know, what do you all think?

Yes, cheapest per-AH decent quality true deep-cycle deal out there.

Costco similar, but I think Johnson Control made, likely not quite as good. B+ should carry exactly the same, price and warrantee policy then the only differentiators.

I have two Sam's Club GC2s; two full seasons on them and still at 1.28 specific gravity at full charge.  Mine are Energizer made by Johnson Controls.  I don't think there is much difference between golf cart batteries until you get into the top of the line batteries made by Crown, Trojan, etc.  2 GC2s will run you ~ $186 with tax (wow! 10%), so 10% higher with day pass will cost you ~#19 vs. $45 for membership.  If you tell them it is for solar they might wave the core charge.

-- Spiff

Ok, sounds like we will go back Sat. And get a couple of the gray EGC2's.

Haven't decided on the membership yet or the one day pass...

Side note, the first salesman at SAMs didn't know anything about the batteries, and I had to wait for about 20 minutes on the younger guy, who was helping two other customers, one was angry, and the other was gripping about his tire purchases...

The younger salesman finally came to assist me, but it turns out he didn't know any more than the first guy!

And yes, I told him it was going in my solar RV project. He still wanted the core charges.
He did suggest if I brought in another 12v battery, he could use that for the core. Even if it was from the garage door opener, lol!

GC-2 is a Battery council standard size.

here EastPenn Deka calls their 215AH golf cart battery a GC10, and the 230AH battery a GC15

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/wp-content/uploads/Deka-Pro-Master-Golf-Car-Flyer-0248.pdf

The GC10 is 60.5Lbs, th GC15 is 64LBS.

Heavier is better.

The trojan T-105 is 225Ah at 62 Lbs. So the Deka GC-15 at 64 Lbs, is the winner on weight and capacity.

Trojan t-105RE is 67Lbs though.

Bring a voltmeter, buy the 2 batteries with the highest voltage. They likely will be in the back. Don't let em fill your cart with the oldest stock.

galladanb said:
Haven't decided on the membership yet or the one day pass...

Well, the 10% day pass will cost about $25 vs $45 for the annual.  I would spend a few minutes looking around at everything else and asking yourself if there is anything else you are likely to want to come back for on another day.

There is usually very little point in expecting anyone in the mass retail environment to have a clue about the batteries they are selling. Worst is when you get a confident opinionated guy who has no idea how ignorant he is. Just ignore them, become informed yourself, know what you want, go and buy it.

Yes Absolutely!!!! I will bring my meter, good points by all! Thx, SW!

And my Sandy spotted a king size, 3 inch memory foam topper for quite a bargain, (Actually king size was less than 2 twins).
We would of course combine that with 3 inches of other foam, I want to stop another local guy who is a major foam supplier.
I don't think he will have memory foam, but he has all the other kinds, like the dark charcoal, pull an pluck and egg crate kinds...
He actually supplies all the major concert roadie crews with their case foams, think, Brad Paisley, Kid Rock, Jason Alldean, etc...

so yeah, they have other stuff we may want, LOL! Not to mention, the membership would be good all across the country...

John, that is exactly what I was thinking when we were at Batt +!

And that's the one place should be the exception.

I was treated poorly at Sam's club, and determined to never return. Sam would not even let me in the door with out a membership. I introduced myself and made a friend at Batteries plus Bulbs and bought 6 EGC2 Duracell, made by East Penn. Deka relabled. The manufactured date was 3 months old. The owner at B+B was not all that knowledgeable about deep cycle batteries, but that is why we must be ourselves. He waved the recycle fee. I paid $109 each. I have a tax exempt number that I would not have been able to use at Sam's. I did not have to pay a membership fee.

Weight here makes a good point about looking for the date/age of the batteries.

Since you are linking together two 6 volts to make a 12, the age disparity between the two is important as well.

If it is believable or accurate, all of the ones I could see, we're all marked as 3/17...

We had to stick around the house waiting for FedEx to bring our engel.

It s here now and we are running a 24 hour trail on it.

I'm guessing we will either go out tonight or tomorrow!

Unless I get anxious and just go... Lol!

galladanb said:
If it is believable or accurate, all of the ones I could see, we're all marked as 3/17...

We had to stick around the house waiting for FedEx to bring our engel.

It s here now and we are running a 24 hour trail on it.

I'm guessing we will either go out tonight or tomorrow!

Unless I get anxious and just go... Lol!

Great that their batteries are so fresh. I'd not have thought so, though maybe GC's cycle through quickly, dunno.  How are you charging them up before you head out? What kind of charger?

Just got back...

I bought the grey EGC2's at $117.92 eSch, did not get charged for core.

We went with the $45 plan and they gave me a $10 gift card, 
and a free roasted chicken and a dozen crescent rolls!

We also snagged a 3 inch memory foam king sized topper for our platform bed!!!
 Awesumm!!! 

Such Fun!

Do not have a charger yet, but I'm planning on one of two
that several others have suggested.
And I don't have my solar yet...

Just starting with electrical really...

But, I promise I will post back here with what I end up with...
Or check out my build thread in my link below!

Sam's Club has some cheap booze. If you're a "drinker", the saving there will pay off. Plus, while your shopping for liquor, you will find other deals. *hangs head shamefully* :cool:

At SAMs, they have both the GC2 and the EGC2: Are this batteries AGM, Gel or Flooded type?

Thanks

roadbiker1 said:
At SAMs, they have both the GC2 and the EGC2: Are this batteries AGM, Gel or Flooded type?

Thanks
Flooded. You can see where the caps come off.

If you want AGM or Gel, you want different brands and suppliers.

Duracell (Deka) have AGM as well as Flooded for sale at B + B and at Sam's club. The GC2 refers to the package size. Deka has a good reputation for the quality of their AGM's as well as the wet cell golf cart batteries. You don't get as much amp hour with AGM.

Weight said:
Duracell (Deka) have AGM as well as Flooded for sale at B + B and at Sam's club. The GC2 refers to the package size. Deka has a good reputation for the quality of their AGM's as well as the wet cell golf cart batteries.
No, Deka's AGMs are not nearly as good as their FLA.

Only Northstar, Odyssey and Lifeline make quality true deep cycling AGM.

And Firefly Oasis for unavoidable PSOC situations.

Edit: Rolls/Surrette rebadges Full River from China