Gas Cans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highdesertranger

R.I.P HDR
Reaction score
so I have been on the search for new gas cans to replace my old metal GI cans.  I have 2 of the Scepter current issue plastic cans and would have liked to buy more.  but our government saw fit to outlaw them except for military and law enforcement.  I was thinking of have someone in Canada ship me some because they are still available there.  I went a different route,  I bought 4 brand new NATO cans from these guys,  http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/jerry-can/ .  just received them today.  these are exact copies of the NATO cans, very high quality much better than the Chinese knock offs.  the come in 3 seizes,  5 Liter,  10L,  and 20L.  I have seen the cheap knock offs and they are not worth a dime.  I would highly recommend these at this time.  just thought I would pass along a good quality buy.  oh yeah the nozzle they sell is not one of those BS carb nozzles. highdesertranger

Good find! When I first realized they banned the old style nozzles I checked on Ebay and they were still selling the old standard plastic nozzles with none of that no drip BS and I ordered a case of them. They were only a few bucks each. Now I have a lifetime supply so if I ever have to replace the plastic containers, I can buy whatever size I need and slip one of these on. I actually think those new nozzles spill waaaay more gas than they were intended to save but that's neither here nor there.

I think you can still buy the old style nozzles for the plastic cans on Amazon, they are sold as replacement nozzles for "water jugs" Silly Government.

I agree, I never spilled so much gas until the government nozzles came around. highdesertranger

I picked up 2 NATO types and it may have been from the site you link to, don't recall for sure. I like the spout locking design and I did buy a couple extra gaskets. Although its easy to make extras.

What mine do not have is an air vent hole to allow fuel to flow out smoothly. It takes a long time to empty the 20L version and holding it up gets tiring. Does yours have a vent?

yes these are correct in every detail they have the vent and the can has the internal baffle that allows the air in. they claim that you can empty a 20 L in 25 seconds. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
so I have been on the search for new gas cans to replace my old metal GI cans.  I have 2 of the Scepter current issue plastic cans and would have liked to buy more.  but our government saw fit to outlaw them except for military and law enforcement.  I was thinking of have someone in Canada ship me some because they are still available there.  I went a different route,  I bought 4 brand new NATO cans from these guys,  http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/jerry-can/ .  just received them today.  these are exact copies of the NATO cans, very high quality much better than the Chinese knock offs.  the come in 3 seizes,  5 Liter,  10L,  and 20L.  I have seen the cheap knock offs and they are not worth a dime.  I would highly recommend these at this time.  just thought I would pass along a good quality buy.  oh yeah the nozzle they sell is not one of those BS carb nozzles.   highdesertranger

thank you for this link, I took a quick look at the cans & will take a longer look see later at the rest of the site.  I have a few questions.

would  you please convert the liters to gallons?

what does a liter or gallon of gasoline weigh?....diesel?

also on a limited budget other than the container/s themselves what other related items would be good  for an initial purchase?

what's a carb nozzle?

is there a thread here regarding safe fuel storage and  transport?

all information and help is deeply appreciated..............................tjb

Tjaybird:divide liters by 3.7854 (so a liter is a little larger than a quart)
5 L, 10 L, 20L is about 1.3 gallons, 2.6 gallons, 5.3 gallons

gasoline: about 6 lb/gal
diesel: about 6.943 lb/gal (call it 7 lb /gal)

so 8 pounds, 16 pounds, 32 pounds for gasoline
9 pounds, 18 pounds, 37 pounds for diesel

real quick. 20L is about 5.2 gallons. a CARB nozzle is that POS nozzle that they put on gas cans today. CARB stands for "California air resources board", these where first mandated in CA now the EPA has adopted the regulation and it's nation wide. a gallon of gas/ diesel weighs just over 6 pounds. I would want to store liquid fuel outside of the passenger/living compartment. so some way to secure the cans that way. highdesertranger

1 liter = .26 gal
20 liter = 5.2 gal
1 gal of gas = 6.3 pounds
1 gal of diesel = 7.2 pounds
(Gas and diesel weights change with temperature/density. Cold fuel weighs more.)
1 gal water = 8 pounds

A carb nozzle is an 'auto shutoff' piece of crap mandated by the Govt. to reduce fumes. Since most examples have resulted in more spillage therefore more fumes; we have another area of "Don't fix it if it ain't broke".

Good plastic jugs can still be had in the racing world at reasonable prices. However plastic should only be used for short term storage of fuel due to its porosity...they WILL allow vapors to pass through.
Metal cans/jugs are the safest way to transport fuel, and those jerry cans linked to above are the ones I'll be getting once on the road for long distances. (even though I already have three plastic 5 gallon jugs and a 2 1/2 gallon that I use racing)

One good tip for fuel transfers is to get a pack of paper paint strainers (HD, Lowes, etc) and use them in your funnel. Cheap insurance and one usually lasts quite a while.

There are youtube videos on how to easily modify the silly  and highly dangerous "safety nozzles" to function properly and safely.  There are also a couple ways to easily add vents to the unvented plastic gas cans.
I have several plastic gas cans of various styles, a pack of replacement yellow vent caps and a couple of the old style spouts.  I have four NATO steel cans and three US style steel Jerry cans.
These idiotic "safety spouts" are going to get someone killed.  Typical when government gets involved in product design.

highdesertranger said:
dang you guys are good.  highdesertranger

Currently, the site says for red 20L:

"CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK" THIS ITEM WILL BE RESTOCKED END OF APRIL 2016

Speaking of color...and Govt. tomfoolery..........

New Jersey gas station attendants are not allowed to put fuel in any container that is not RED. Jersey does not allow 'self-serve' gas stations.
Even when we went to the new (at the time) N.J. Motorsports Park, we had to wait for the 'gas attendant' to show up at the 'credit card only/operated'
gas pumps, and then the guy would not pump the gas into a race jug that wasn't RED. A lot of racers use translucent/white jugs because you can see the color of the fuel inside. We mix oil into the gas in the 2-stroke world, and the white jugs show at a glance whether you've mixed your gas yet.
So, me and a few others had RED jugs and ended up acting as a shuttle for fuel. Fill the RED jug.....get out of sight of the 'attendant'....xfer gas to the NON-RED jug....repeat.
And to double the pain....the shore power hookups were in the wrong place for most of us, and when going into town to get regular (non race) gas for generator use, again had to xfer gas from RED jugs to others out of sight of the attendants at the station.

You couldn't pay me enough to ever want to live in New Jersey! :mad:

ascii_man said:
Tjaybird:divide liters by 3.7854 (so a liter is a little larger than a quart)
5 L, 10 L, 20L is about  1.3 gallons, 2.6 gallons, 5.3 gallons

gasoline: about 6 lb/gal
diesel: about 6.943 lb/gal (call it 7 lb /gal)

so 8 pounds, 16 pounds, 32 pounds for gasoline
9 pounds, 18 pounds, 37 pounds for diesel

Thank You  this is a big help due to the fact I have limitations not only to the weight I can lift, how far I can lift, and also how long I can grip without dropping things. Usually dropping/breaking/spilling tells me "too much".  Gas costs to much to be spilling it!             tjb

yeah some areas are real anal about the red for gas, but it gets confusing after that. some want yellow for diesel some want green. some want blue for kero while most places blue is potable water. I have never had a problem. Oregon has no self serve also but every station I have ever filled up at lets me fill my own cans. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yeah some areas are real anal about the red for gas,  but it gets confusing after that.  some want yellow for diesel some want green.  some want blue for kero while most places blue is potable water.  I have never had a problem.  Oregon has no self serve also but every station I have ever filled up at lets me fill my own cans.  highdesertranger

If you don't mind me asking what kind of setup do you have to carry the jerry cans?

I've been thinking about modifiing a rear door tire carrier for a van.

right know in I carry them in my trailer, I have an open cargo trailer. if you look on the web site I posted, they have carriers. or build your own. I plan on building some on my truck. highdesertranger

Oh ok, Yeah we only have the van so we'll have to store them probably on the door. A little leary because of the weight and it's effect on the door. I can see a trailer having advantages. Thanks.