Gamma Bucket

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izifaddag

Reaction score
I am fairly knowledgeable about living on the road but this has just never come up for me. 
Now it is something I think I want to use.
I built a shower in my converted cargo trailer and it works great. For water I have an old Home Depot 5 gallon bucket I found. I drop the pump into that and off it goes. 
I have been stationary for over a year now so this hasn't been an issue but now I think it is. Trouble is the lid I found doesn't fit tight. It just rests on the top. Well that is no good. 
I don't like it.
So I want to buy a new bucket that is nice and clean. I want to use one of these gamma lids. I don't know how they work.
Do they push fit then screw on or what? Does that push fit rim fit nice and tight? Are they waterproof? Can I get it off again? 
Thanks for your input.

The lid ring fits the bucket water tight 'one-time'...….just like the snap on lid

The gamma lid screws into the ring with an O-ring seal

Thank you. I think you can buy them at Lowes or Home Depot. I am going to buy a bucket now and see if I can find one. Trying to get everything ready for the road. Can't have water sloshing about.

I would suggest that you buy the bucket and the lid from the same source. I did not do that and found that the Gamma Lid I purchased would not fit onto any of the buckets I tried it on. So I had to return the lid and start over with a matching pair from the same source.

Another good option for you would be the airtight pet food container that have a gamma seal lid. They are an interesting option as they come in different sizes and if you don't need a 5 gallon capacity they might work for their space saving quality. They are even stronger than a 5 gallon bucket. To see them on the internet use the keywords Gamma 2 Vittles Vault. There is one company that sells them as a ready to go 12v shower setup Big Kahuana.

If you are doing one of the Vittles vault showers you can have the takeup end of a 12v pump with the hose entering into the bucket using a "uniseal" fitting. A uniseal is a special type of rubber grommet made to create a watertight seal going through the wall of a container. They come in different sizes of diameters that match the hose, spout or pipe size that enters the container. Very handy fittings to know about for creating custom water tanks for a van dwelling.
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=89951

I bought a Lowes 5 gallon bucket and the gamma lid they were selling. Seems to fit ok. This is going to be very helpful. I have 2 of those 6 gallon grey colored water containers a la Walmart and 1 aquitainer at 7 gallons. It is easier for me to use a 5 gallon bucket for the shower. I can shower with about 2.5 to 3 gallons of water. This thing is water proof so now I can have a total of 24 gallons onboard.
NICE!
I appreciate the responses.