FYI - Propane in California.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacetara

Reaction score
I had to refill my propane tank last week (first time since the RTR!). Anyways, I went to 3 or 4 different propane refill places, and they all said they wouldn't refill my tank, because it's apparently illegal now in California to have propane tanks in any 'passenger area'. So they aren't even allowed to refill it.

My solution: do a 'tank trade' thing, like Walmart does, where you trade an empty for a full for ~ $20.

With Love,
Tara

Another reason we don't wanna go to Calif. They have a law for everything and many of them stupid. The list grows.

In don't know why the system won't allow the word "s t u p i d". I didn't put the ******s there.

what would the difference be between filling a tank putting it in your car or trading for a full tank and putting it in your car??

A lot of people do.
I used to have a rear bumper mount for my van tank. I always worries about getting ass-ended and blowing sky high. Guess its no worse than the 18 gallons outside under my driver's seat if we took a side hit.
Then, there's the 70 gallons of gas under the back.
Vehicles are rolling bombs anyway.

Hmmmm. Interesting. Yeah, it's all a calcuated risk anyway. I don't use those large 20 pound propane containers, instead use the 1 pound cannisters. I keep my propane cans inside a Yakima and Thule cargo box on the rooftop, so if by small chance there is an explosion, it would only be an external explosion. I do keep 1 or 2 small 1 pound propane cans inside the van for a quick replacement for the Little Buddy/Big Buddy heaters. But even then, I keep the propane cans inside a hard plastic Coleman cooler to keep it rather dark and cool. I know, I know. I'm Paranoid, haha! I just installed my 3rd carbon monoxide detector in my van! I spell paranoid with a capital "P", hyuck hyuck.

You need a better stove. My digital CO/LP/Smoke detector barely registers my range. And the detector most definitely works... ear piercingly loud.

Also depends on the sensitivity level of the CO detector. It appears many or most CO detectors in the $30 to $40 range has a plus or minus sensitivity reading for 30 PPM (parts per million) of CO detected.

The more sensitive CO detectors can detect for as low as 10 PPM, and those cost more. I recently ordered this one that is more sensitive.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JZ3VL6/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I watched a mythbusters where they brought hell itself to bear on various propane tanks and the only time they could even hurt it was breaking the valve. I fear leaks more than catastrophic impact

I saw that Myth Buster also. Still, there are those small fear factors in the back of the mind. Helps us stay on our toes.

Our propane detector is right below the stove and near the furnace. Since propane falls to the floor it sets off the alarm quickly. Separate from the smoke on the ceiling. Stove and entire propane it good condition.

My big fear is waking up to fire...have all my life.

I woke up to fire. Left a candle that erupted into a roar and a blaze. The roar woke me. I was very grateful I didn't wake up on fire.

I don't travel to commifornia very often, many reasons why. The last time I went was over 2 years ago, possibly almost three, to thousand oaks. I don't complain about the freeways in arizona anymore.

In Arizona some places may not fill them if you are in an rv or might look "weird" to them. They also may be covering their behinds from lawsuits, a concern in this day of stupid lawsuits. It also depends on the age and condition of the tank.

Yup, they're supposed to check the tank date, but if its clean and not all rusty looking they generally don't check. If you have a questionable tank take it to one of those 'trade for a full one' places.

Aztruck, we've never had a problem with RV fills and I look pretty weird :)

I have two propane tanks that are specially adapted to fit in a sliding bin in the side of my 5th wheel, They lay on their side and each has it's own gauge. I am sure they are the same year as the trailer...1990.....Trading is not an option.... fortunately I have never had a problem getting them filled in Texas. But since they are in a covered area and not exposed to the weather they are also in pristine condition.

Our rig is an '86 and never had anyone look for dates or anything on our under belly tank.
Horizontal tanks would be nice for lots of vans, but are pricey.

Some exchange tanks have a special valve to keep others from filling them. My propane dealer said the "Blue Rhino" are one brand he had to make a special magnet to open the valve. he has no trouble with the ones I bring. "Amerigas" work fine. I just took my rusty older tanks and now have newer ones.