Funds Before Vandwelling, or Vandwelling Before Funds [split]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Speedhighway[emoji171]
Sorry all......my error.
No matter why we are all here, we are all here. I enjoy you all and hope to share a conversation in person with as many of you as possible at the next RTR.
The extreme heat has my van work on hold for now but the heat will not last forever and it will be done when it cools off.
I have learned so much from this site and I am very appreciative of the time those of you in the know give to those of us who are not.
You would be shocked and I would be embarrassed if you knew how much time I have spent researching/trying to understand how to get power in my van!
I am a retired nurse......I can and have run a medical department but God help me when it comes to charge controls (PWM vs MPPT), batteries (2-6volt vs 1-AGM), battery chargers (how many stages do I need ......what in the world is a stage), solar vs generator charging (cost similar but if you can only afford one....which one) etc... etc...etc.
Thank you - thank you - thank you all for the little I do know (now) all came from folks on this site.......now let's get back to insulation[emoji6]

Van_Lady

My take on it
If at all possible, get your shit in order before going mobile, decent vehicle, nest egg, etc
But
Sometimes waiting, and paying that rent, can Prevent that happening, and if that happens, then 'dwelling in place can be of benefit
And some are just forced into it
those that are don't deserve to be judged, they need advice
Those that meet all advice with 'but' will try tour patience, and may be unhelpful, but you can try, and if they can't be helped, walk away

Gary68 said:
ya know i dont read every post or see the deleted post but from what i know TMG51 has always been respectful and not one to cause issues,i think Bob must of got him confused with someone else,like me

I think when Bob quoted me and started saying "you," he wasn't addressing me directly for all of that, but rather whichever collective "you people" are responsible for this attack on his ideals. I haven't witnessed this direct contradiction to the philosophy of the website that's being talked about - maybe a passing comment, but nothing pervasive or premeditated - but I do find that any time a rant is directed at "you people" it's a divisive sort of thing that doesn't benefit the argument and until now I've thought our administration was above that.

Or maybe these instigators are out there and I haven't noticed because I haven't felt personally attacked. *Shrug*

do note that bob is also on utube and that place is full of ruthless trolls and that will get to anyone

I just want to clarify my remarks.  I respect Bob greatly.  He is doing something that is desperately needed in this society.  

I just do not agree with his definitions.

In my humble opinion, a dream is a persons vision of the best they can attain.  I can see how Bob resents the way some section of society forces its own opinion of what that should be on everyone.

What I see as the Rat Race, others label the Dream.  That would make the dream a nightmare.  I have loved 95% of the jobs I have had.  I just wish I was paid an honest wage for working them.

gcal said:
Bob, you have screwed up. Your audience has expanded, against your meaning it to, and your site has become popular with people who do not entirely share your philosophy or attitudes towards society as it is.  It seems to be causing you stress. But we are still really good for ad revenue. Since your formula has been a success with this group, perhaps you might consider breaking the site into 2 sections and asking your users to register for either one group or the other. You could ensure the safe space for the people who you feel need that, and a separate section for other whose views are more economically conservative, and get the ad revenue off both sections.

I hope this site is Never split in two...It's like placing kids in a custody struggle in the position of choosing one parent over another.   Pick one or the other...now.

We are all here by choice......if we don't like we can leave

You made two references to "Ad Revenue".  I don't think that is the purpose or the intent of Bob or this site.  I think this site and most of it's members are here to both learn and share their knowledge.  Many of us have struggled to fit in what some would call a "normal" lifestyle.  I'm grateful for something new almost every time I log in.  As many before have said....Some get to plan to be a "Van Dweller" and others are forced into it.  Here there is support no matter what your situation is.

I remember when I first joined and Bob would tell people "You are welcome in my camp anytime"  I'd think "What's wrong with this guy"  these are total strangers they could knock him in the head or worse!  I've seen so many offers of all kinds of help from Bob and others and learned so much here.  I don't totally agree with anyone's outlook on life.  I believe that is a matter of choice.....first we have to know that there is a choice.. ...the folk here do a good job of letting each other into and have a glimpse of our very diverse lives.

I personally would like to see this thread closed...not deleted.  and maybe a "do over".  Where did the O.P.ster go...I think we scared him :(

Jewellann

Txjaybird said:
I personally would like to see this thread closed...not deleted.  and maybe a "do over".  Where did the O.P.ster go...I think we scared him :(

Jewellann
I'm surprised it's still open.  
This thread is a train wreck that I can't stop watching, tho I really don't give a rat's azz about the opinions being expressed by a bunch of people I don't even know.
I guess that's human nature for ya.

Txjaybird said:
I hope this site is Never split in two...It's like placing kids in a custody struggle in the position of choosing one parent over another.   Pick one or the other...now.

We are all here by choice......if we don't like we can leave

You made two references to "Ad Revenue".  I don't think that is the purpose or the intent of Bob or this site.  I think this site and most of it's members are here to both learn and share their knowledge.  Many of us have struggled to fit in what some would call a "normal" lifestyle.  I'm grateful for something new almost every time I log in.  As many before have said....Some get to plan to be a "Van Dweller" and others are forced into it.  Here there is support no matter what your situation is.

I remember when I first joined and Bob would tell people "You are welcome in my camp anytime"  I'd think "What's wrong with this guy"  these are total strangers they could knock him in the head or worse!  I've seen so many offers of all kinds of help from Bob and others and learned so much here.  I don't totally agree with anyone's outlook on life.  I believe that is a matter of choice.....first we have to know that there is a choice.. ...the folk here do a good job of letting each other into and have a glimpse of our very diverse lives.

Jewellann

Whatever the site started out as, it is now a thriving business. A lot of the users are not the people that I think Bob intended to attract and they have a different mindset than Bob has.  In fact, they are the very people he used to consider the enemy.  Now that he has changed his own approach, he is getting substantial support, popularity and acceptance from them, and he is confused about that. He types long, insulting posts mocking and ridiculing them, but he would also like them to keep using their evil corporate gains to buy his books, to buy from his Amazon product list (because hey have the money to do it) and to keep driving up his ad revenue. It must feel very off balance.

i think thats probably a brilliant tactical move, getting 'enemy' to fund your war chest and then getting as many as possible to switch sides with your info campaign, sounds like solid plan. im done making high effort posts now due to the mods interpretation of various topics and its not worth it for something that might get deleted, but i think using corps rather than letting them use you is a good idea

AltTransBikes said:
off-chickenshit-topic

REALLY!  You think a discussion on whether it's better to plan and prepare for a drastic change in the way we live as opposed to just jumping in with no prep is a "chicken shit topic"........Your  words.   IMO it's not the topic that is.........

Jewellann

I really see it as do as I say not as I do. I have pension, I have Social Security, I have commercial revenue from sales, advertising, video production, but you should drop out of the "system" because it doesn't work. The evil hated system seems to work pretty good for somebody.

It is like calling your mother a whore. What does that make you?

system works great for about quarter of the best off and pretty bad for a lot more. i see it more as a guerilla campaign use the tools of the system against it. system to me is more of a prison warden than mother figure, and ill gladly cut the throat of the warden if i thought i could free some fellow prisoners. different views for sure.

Txjaybird said:

Jewellann

This is not the OP's original thread. The OP's thread was hijacked and the off topic opinions were seperated to form this thread

Just speaking for myself....I didn't pay a lot of attention to this thread at first...I read it, however it wasn't the first thing I'd do after logging in.  It was a good thread idea....now I find it very energy draining with a lot of hurtful words thrown back and forth,  As I taught my son and 8 grandkids....Once you say an unkind word no apology will ever fix it,  apology's are good things, no matter how sincere the hurt can remain......the words we say I believe take on a life of their own,  therefore our memories recall either good things or not so good things.

I thought about returning to school this fall...I wish now I were, then I could take Mind Reading 101 and I'd know what others are thinking and why the say what they do and do what they do.  As someone else recently quoted from a favorite movie of mine  "That's all I've got to say about that".  Now i'm gonna Runn Oft   :D

OF COURSE ALL THE ABOVE IS I.M.O.

Jewellann

People here are different from each other and that's okay with me. I'm glad we have a variety of viewpoints. I've been known to change my mind if given a good argument why to.
But no one here knows what works for someone else, only themselves.
I had my van paid for and sorta set up before getting on the road, and I had a few thousand in reserve for emergency. I've been working construction jobs, mostly in the summer, to support myself. I get paid anywhere from $13 to $25 per hour, whatever I can get. At $25, I can make enough in three days ($600) to take the rest of the month off.
But others have different skills, physical capabilities, and interests than I do. And most can't live as cheap as me. I'm lucky to have had some money before starting this lifestyle (an inheritance) Others have a hard time saving up. I try to understand where someone is coming from before attempting to tell them the "right" way to do something. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

gcal said:
Whatever the site started out as, it is now a thriving business. A lot of the users are not the people that I think Bob intended to attract and they have a different mindset than Bob has.  In fact, they are the very people he used to consider the enemy.  Now that he has changed his own approach, he is getting substantial support, popularity and acceptance from them, and he is confused about that. He types long, insulting posts mocking and ridiculing them, but he would also like them to keep using their evil corporate gains to buy his books, to buy from his Amazon product list (because  hey have the money to do it) and to keep driving up his ad revenue. It must feel very off balance.

I have no idea how much Bob makes off this website, but I have a feeling it's much less than you are imagining.  I also don't see him as the type where making money is the major motivating factor behind the creation of this site.

I agree. The site would have to be much more heavily advertised to make much money.

Status
Not open for further replies.