full bathroom in a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanhermit70

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a van with full bathroom instead of wet bathroom (van 1980-1999)?

urbanhermit70 said:
Has anyone seen a van with full bathroom instead of wet bathroom (van 1980-1999)?

Yes, I have.  One I heard of was stainless steel tub that her father made her.  Obviously you need the space so mostly class C's?  Bob gave me a great idea because I cannot give up my baths.  He suggested an inflatible kiddie pool.  I just bought one to try.  It's perfectly long enough for me to stretch out, but is too wide so I have to return it.  Were you mostly thinking of the tub?  I see them with sinks too.

I'm the same as Xfile. Heard about Bob's idea on one of his videos, but I believe I saw it elsewhere also. I'm in a minivan (not full timing yet), but my idea (that I haven't actually done yet) is to use one of those bug sprayer pressure sprayers and adapt it for the kitchen sink sprayer. Bunch of videos on how to do it. Below is a link for Adventure Van Man's instructions. Then I am going to get a small collapsible stool and a small inflatable kiddy swimming pool. Inflate pool, place small collapsible stool in it for a seat then use the sprayer to shower with. You could do a hula hoop type shower curtain, but I probably won't use one. Once done showering, I plan on using a small hand pump to pump the shower water from the pool into a waste water container (like empty milk jugs). Wipe pool clean and dry, deflate and put away. The sprayer I got holds 2 gallons. So I figured I could heat about a half a gallon water on a stove, then add it to say another gallon of ambient temperature water in the sprayer and I have a hot water shower!

Though I guess Xfile and my suggestions are for a shower in a van, not necessarily a full bathroom. But with my sprayer and a 5 gallon bucket, that's my full bath! And it's a dry bathroom not a wet bathroom!...LOL!!

If you're thinking of DIY..
I had a really small 2x3 tub in my class A , maybe a RV recycler or one of the overstock places in Indiana would have one?
My class C has a shower but that tub would fit in the space.

No, I plan on taking baths at least in a kiddie pool to start, then a tub later.  I cannot give up my baths.  You can buy a water heater you place in a 5 gallon bottle to heat the water.  If I can't have my bath, I cannot go on the road. :D

urbanhermit70 said:

Airstream B190, Coachmen 19RB, Falcon B-vans and a couple of others have a rear bath with a tub. They're actually pretty common. I sold mine mostly because it was wasted space for the way I use the van. My current van, a Coachmen 19RD rear dinette suits me much better. But if you MUST have a tub/shower... those are your ticket.

The '94 Airstream B190 with the rear bath and separate tub/shower.

P2236263 by Roger H, on Flickr

If you get a "masonry sprayer" you basically get a flat black bug sprayer, which will heat up the water quicker when sitting in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XFILE36 said:
Yes, I have.  One I heard of was stainless steel tub that her father made her. 

A metal tub would be great, especially if raised a bit because a person could add a propane flame under to heat water (not heating 10 gallons mind you, or, perhaps it would work?). It's a thought anyway.  :)

Check out farm supply stores for watering troughs and other deep basins like that. They would make good tubs

A gils gotta have what a girl gotta have, I thought about it, the water trough idea is all I can come =up with as well. I am not anti social but do travel solo and probably nose blind to boot.
Have used gym memberships in the past I would love a soaking tub Japanese style wood barrel, OMG I feel wet just thinking about all that hot water. What about those blue water barrels
just cut it down to about 3 ft tall height perhaps 20 gallons would fill it up, back in the day we dropped a clawfoot into the deck and built a fire underneath redneck hot tub.

XFILE36 said:
Hey guys, I have someone here trying to basically talk down to me because I want a tub.  

Welcome to internet RV forums.  *sigh*

For some folks it's their way or the highway.  You hang in there.  These things are ALL about having it YOUR way...  just like you were at Burger King!   And there's no reason you can't.  A little imagination and you've got it.

hepcat said:
Welcome to internet RV forums.  *sigh*

For some folks it's their way or the highway.  You hang in there.  These things are ALL about having it YOUR way...  just like you were at Burger King!   And there's no reason you can't.  A little imagination and you've got it.

LOL!  Thank you.  :D   I feel like coming up with a full on bathtub on my roof or something just out of spite!  Don't ever challenge me on something I made my mind up on! :cool: LOL!

wagoneer said:
A gils gotta have what a girl gotta have, I thought about it, the water trough idea is all I can come =up with as well. I am not anti social but do travel solo and probably nose blind to boot.
Have used gym memberships in the past I would love a soaking tub Japanese style wood barrel, OMG I feel wet just thinking about all that hot water. What about those blue water barrels
just cut it down to about 3 ft tall height perhaps 20 gallons would fill it up, back in the day we dropped a clawfoot into the deck and built a fire underneath redneck hot tub.
LOL!  Do you think you could cut the blue barrel horizontally?  I need to relax while bathing.  LOL on the redneck tub...see!  anythings possible! :D

Would be expensive but if you want to maximize both tub and van space you could have a fabrication/sheet metal shop design and install a tub custom fit to the van. Formed and welded out of stainless steel or aluminum, would look nice all polished up and be built to your exact specifications and needs.

Dgorila1 said:
Would be expensive but if you want to maximize both tub and van space you could have a fabrication/sheet metal shop design and install a tub custom fit to the van. Formed and welded out of stainless steel or aluminum, would look nice all polished up and be built to your exact specifications and needs.

SEE!!! :p

hepcat said:
GREAT idea!!!  The Petticoat Junction train water tank on wheels!   Ha ha ha!!!
LOL!  Petti-coat-junction!  WOO-WOO!  Oh no, we are telling our age now, LOL!  Just you wait and see!

Since space is the thing vans have the least of, a multi task effort/compromise is the way of the dweller. Most folks combine their bed with some kind of storage underneath....I propose building the bed with a tub underneath. Plywood lid with mattress.

if you're short enough, go sideways...if not, then along the van wall. Could still use the tub space for some storage...towels, clothes, things light and easy to move for 'bath time'.

A small fiberglass tub designed for a 'drop in' fit to a wood frame. Standard PVC plumbing for drain out back or side of van to be caught in containers of course...no dumping of grey water improperly.
Fill it with jugs, heat up a soup pot of water on the stove to warm it up...old west style.

Sounds do-able.