full bathroom in a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnny b said:
I propose building the bed with a tub underneath. Plywood lid with mattress.

Sounds do-able.

I had a 1961 Airstream Bambi 16' that I sold to a lady from the Seattle area in 1999.  She took the trailer to a shipwright who gutted the interior (saving all of the original interior) and did exactly that when he built the interior back in.  I used to have photos somewhere, but it was a really trick setup.

johnny b said:
Most folks combine their bed with some kind of storage underneath....I propose building the bed with a tub underneath. Plywood lid with mattress.

if you're short enough, go sideways...if not, then along the van wall. Could still use the tub space for some storage...towels, clothes, things light and easy to move for 'bath time'.

A small fiberglass tub designed for a 'drop in' fit to a wood frame. Standard PVC plumbing for drain out back or side of van to be caught in containers of course...no dumping of grey water improperly.
Fill it with jugs, heat up a soup pot of water on the stove to warm it up...old west style.

Sounds do-able.
johnny b,

yes, sounds more and more do-able!  By saying a small fiberglass tub, do you have any reference like a picture?

johnny said:
Fill it with jugs, heat up a soup pot of water on the stove to warm it up...old west style.

BTW, Can you please explain by filling "it' with jugs, heat up a soup pot... means?

johnny b said:
Since space is the thing vans have the least of, a multi task effort/compromise is the way of the dweller. Most folks combine their bed with some kind of storage underneath....I propose building the bed with a tub underneath. Plywood lid with mattress.

Instant hot water heaters aren't cheap unfortunately but I actually checked into it. lol
It's a investment really, and easily recouped! 25 $100.00 bets won on " I have a bath tub in my van" will make up for it !  :)

You can always go to an RV graveyard and pick up a small tub very cheaply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikayla said:
Instant hot water heaters aren't cheap unfortunately but I actually checked into it. lol
It's a investment really, and easily recouped! 25 $100.00 bets won on " I have a bath tub in my van" will make up for it !  :)

An immersion heater is cheap!  I don't have time to find the one I am buying, but here is one for $20.99  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017VVJ9KW?psc=1  I saw someone use it in a 5 gallon water bottle.  Also, you could paint it or another black and leave in the sun to heat up.

johnny b said:
Since space is the thing vans have the least of, a multi task effort/compromise is the way of the dweller. Most folks combine their bed with some kind of storage underneath....I propose building the bed with a tub underneath. Plywood lid with mattress.
Johnny, you solved my problem and the solution (at least temporarily) is right in front of my face!  I have 2 storage containers under my bed in the sticks and bricks I can use. I will have to make sure one can hold water though. Someone gave them to me, but I would guess you could get one like it at Walmart, until something better comes along. TY

Cammalu said:
You can always go to an RV graveyard and pick up a small tub very cheaply.
Cammalu, I never knew there were RV graveyards.  I will have  to look that up and see if there are any near me in L.A. TY

I was thinking either a storage tub with a drain installed or a folding or inflatable bathtub

ArtW said:
I was thinking either a storage tub with a drain installed or a folding or inflatable bathtub

Art, thank you!  I never heard of inflatable tubs and just found one on ebay!   :D