Fuel recommendations for new Generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same in theory with a propane conversion.

Yes periodic use at rated load is always a good idea, fresh oil change when actually put to use.

But with propane your fuel supply can sit for a hundred years no problem. And you'll get 2-3x the running hours between rebuilds, for those use cases where that is relevant.

I recently had the newer 7kw model installed. It is smaller and works for my needs. Sells for about $1,800. This model also has an automatic transfer switch and comes with natural gas or propane connections, which run cleaner than gasoline. Had 2 short power failures since then and it worked great.

Two potential issues to keep in mind:

(1) The electrician needs to be Generac-trained. From my research, it seems that Generac units tend to have a higher glitch rate if the electrical connections are installed by electricians who have not been trained by Generac.

(2) You may want to learn how to operate it manually, because you really don't need the unit to be on all the time, using fuel, during a power failure -- just at night and maybe another hour during the day for water, fridge and freezer. It is pretty easy, and your installer can walk you through the steps.

Cheers!
Feelit

All you people using stabilizer read the labels please before recomending letting gas sit beyond the makers recomendation. Another thing I have noticed is most non-ethanol fuel sold here is only 87 octaine. Many older motors may require a higher octane rating. I like many here have been lucky several times by simply running the carb dry and dumping out the fuel in the tank. I also have after leaving fuel in the tank for an extended period sprayed Gumout carb cleaner in the tank and in the dry carb for easier starts which sometimes works for me. Sometimes I do end up dumping the old gas in the tank and removing the float bowl and cleaning out the passages and jet with Gumout. I have rigged a low pressure fuel pump to my large generator and just use a portable remote fuel container so I can just remove the fuel pickup line and run the generator dry, and pour the left over gas in my vehicle. I think my next move will be more solar with the small light weight propane Ryobi generator to help the solar system keep the charge up on the batteries or a larger dual fuel generator. Dealing with getting rid of old gas is starting to be a pain!

I have to agree with the opinion about the ethanol myth.I've used it for years in 2 and 4 cycle motors.No problem.

I've never personally, in many many years of using ethanol containing gas, seen any failures related to its use. Never heard from anyone either. I'm willing to call it a myth at this point. Sure there were some fuel system components years ago that were perhaps affected by ethanol (and likely high concentrations) but I don't think so much any more.

Key issue may be the water absorption of ethanol, but it's likely no more than what you'll find in the bottom of a fuel stations in-ground tanks. Probably less in fact. Use furlel purchased from a station that gets a lot of traffic. They will have fresher fuel.

No matter what type of gas, don't store it more than a few months and excercise the generator by running it monthly. I also don't like to run the fuel out of the carb - you may get much greater varnish build-up when leaving a thin film on to dry.

Those latter precautions are a result of adapting to ethanol.

They did not previously need to be so stringent, decades ago you could just take your little motor device out of the shed even just once a year and start'er up, use it, put it back and forget about it til next year.

Don’t bother sourcing ethanol free fuel.  It is expensive.  Redline water remover and fuel stabilizer in a sealed container and you will have no issues with modern equipment.  The water remover disperses any water. 

The OP’s gen can have it’s fuel tank vent shut off.  One of the many reasons that I buy Yamaha gennys is the separate fuel shutoff.  When running the unit w/fuel shutoff listen for it to sputter then work the choke lever on-off to get more fuel from the carb.  That is good for about one month storage, less in hot weather.  For longer storage drain the carb.