Fuel recommendations for new Generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treknik

Reaction score
I have a new Yamaha Generator EF2000iSV2 showing up soon and I’m seeking recommendations on best fuel use, possible additives, and storage practices for keeping this thing running its best.
I would like to keep available fuel around for 6 to 12 months.

It will not get a lot of use for now. Mostly for emergency power and short-term use charging, electric tools etc. while camping.

This model has a Gasoline Petlock that lets you cut the gas and run the carburetor dry before storage which is one of the reasons I choose it over a similar Honda.

Should I seek out Ethanol-Free Gas over the standard pump stuff with Ethanol? Should I purchase fuel with the highest-octane rating?

How about using various additives for fuel storage w/wo ethanol containing gas?
After the gas expires can I just dump it my truck?

Any advice appreciated.

Generator: http://www.yamahagenerators.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EF2000iSv2
Ethanol-free gas stations: https://www.pure-gas.org/
Yamaha additives: https://www.shopyamaha.com/yamalube-products/additives?ls=yamalube
Sta-bil additive: [font=Arial, sans-serif]http://a.co/5wpQOz4[/font]

Treknik said:
Should I seek out Ethanol-Free Gas over the standard pump stuff with Ethanol? Should I purchase fuel with the highest-octane rating?

This is a good place to start. I would recommend finding a high quality one gallon fuel can to store your non ethanol fuel in, and add the recommended amount of Sta-bill. You might even look into Seafoam as an additive. They claim longer fuel life than Sta-bil?

You don't need high octane gasoline, but in some areas, the high octane blend is also ethanol free...so it will always cost a bit more...and it should be marked on the pump.

Otherwise, try to buy the pure gas, ethanol free. It will not absorb water as readily and is much more stable, and will stay fresh much longer, if kept in a steel gas can with a good seal.

I also use Seafoam in the gasoline I pour into the gensets. They seem to start easier after sitting for awhile.

Buy a cover or make one, generators in storage attract dust and bugs.

Your generator should come with instructions that detail regular monthly run times as part of the maintenance. Usually it's something like 1 hour per month under 50% load. 

If you're going to put a stabilizer of any kind in the gas make sure that you run the generator long enough for the treated gas to get through the system. You have no idea how many people put stabilizer in the tank but don't think to run it long enough to distribute the gas.

Or since you have the ability to run the carb dry, do so. Most of us don't.

I do find that with my Hondas, if I let them run out of gas, it's hard to get started the next time because you have to keep pulling the start rope until it gets gas back through the system.

With all the marinas around here, I would think ethanol free pump gas was easier to find. No, closest is 50 miles. All the pump gas on the street has ethanol. The small cans are available but wow, the price. My generator runs on premium 10% with Stabil, in a 5 gallon can. Generator is happy. Gas can set in garage for 18 months and generator started with three pulls. Ran well. I noticed the local Sunoco made the generator run louder then with Wawa gasoline.

convert to dual-fuel, after breaking in period run the ethanol dry and use propane

ethanol doesnt hurt anything, its a giant bloated myth. I work on carbs all day everyday. Just run 87 with a splash of sta-bil, do not run carbs dry, and you'll be fine.

worst cast scenario for any of it is you have clean the pilot jet once in a blue moon anyway. takes like 20 minutes if you've never done it.

Bardo and myself have disagreed on this topic before. With all due respect, when ethanol blend gasoline sits un-used and open to the air as in a vented tank, it absorbs moisture from the air. It IS hygroscopic. This is fact.

The fuel thickens, rust particles form in steel tanks, and this mess plugs up the jets in the carbs eventually.

Small inverter generators have very tiny jet openings and they get plugged up. They usually have a plastic fuel tank, so rust is not normally a problem. But with contractor style gensets, they often have steel tanks.

Running the genset dry will remove some, but not all, of the fuel in the float bowl. But the crud remains in the bottom of the float bowl.

It's one thing to remove the float bowl on a contractor style, open frame generator, but on some of these inverter generators, the whole generator has to be disassembled to get to it.

SO....the answer is to treat the fuel if you are using ethanol-based gasoline.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_problems_damage.html

+1 for tx2sturgis

Totally disagree with Bardo's statements above.

+2.  I was about to post the same link.  

I have seen rubber carb seals eaten away to goo with gasohol.  

The only good ethanol is in a blue bottle with the brand SKYY.  :D

bardo said:
ethanol doesnt hurt anything, its a giant bloated myth. I work on carbs all day everyday. Just run 87 with a splash of sta-bil, do not run carbs dry, and you'll be fine.

worst cast scenario for any of it is you have clean the pilot jet once in a blue moon anyway. takes like 20 minutes if you've never done it.

I have rebuilt a few carbs in my day as well. The thing is, all the new rebuild kits use ethanol resistant gaskets, so working with the new kits is not as bad as it was using the old ones.
Now, about ethanol, I do not have the links handy right now, but I used to peruse antique and classic motorcycle forums, and there were many pages of folks crying the blues because ethanol had totally destroyed their fuel systems, which included carburetors. 
Here's what a quick search turned up.
Link ----> https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...ethanol-can-make-small-engines-fail/index.htm

The real danger even with modern gear is letting it sit fuel gets old.

And that's exactly what happens with most gennies.

I have a Honda EU2000i. I run reg pump gas through it when in use. If I know it's going to be sitting for awhile, I try and plan for it to run out of gas and then add some of the ethanol free gas from a can.

However, the best of intentions don't always pan out. It just sat for about a year with regular gas in it and started on the 2nd pull, I was very pleased.

Ethanol and it's associated issues being a bloated myth is news to me. I can't imagine you're going to find too many people that will agree with you.

well one thing for sure with alcohol in your gas you are cutting your power output down, which means lower MPG. highdesertranger

Mighty mighty pleasing, Pappys corn squeezing. PHEW--- white lightning!

Get gassed, not in the gas.

This is about generators, not mileage. Easier to get small amounts of ethanol free fuel although expensive, than to get a tank full for a vehicle. Good old USA, trying to save dinosaur remains. Stabil works.

That was funny HDR, I know what you meant. Indeed a little less power on ethanol.

I'd personally use STA-Bil in a gen set. Any gen set. And even with that, I'd run it at least once a month for 15 minutes to burn off any moisture in the oil and flush the carb at temp./
If it wasn't being used at all I'd definitely change the oil out twice a year as well.

I used the MPG reference because it's easy for people to relate to. the lower power output it also affects your generator especially at higher elevations. I should have included that in my post. so to recap alcohol blends in fuel has less energy therefore you have less power available no matter what engine you are running. highdesertranger