Fuel Can Recommendation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldwolf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I searched but didn't find a thread on this topic.

What make 5-gallon fuel plastic fuel can is best suited, and has high durability, for storage in the rear of a (camping) mini-van? My thought is that 5 or 10 gallons of reserve is reasonable. At some point I will have a trailer hitch and perhaps a hitch cargo carrier where I could place them.

While we are discussing this topic, how many people carry reserve fuel, or am I just worrying over nothing?

Stay healthy everyone.

for plastic cans the Scepter military cans are the best unfortunately they don't sell new ones in the US any more. I heard you can get them in Canada. I just sold 2 of them on Craig's list for 75 bucks.

I have been using the metal NATO cans for about the last 5 years. IMO they are far superior and come in 20 Liter(L), 10L, and 5L. if you go with the NATO cans make sure you get real ones not the Chinese knock offs, there is a world of difference in the quality.

https://wavianusa.com/

https://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/jerry-fuel-can/

both of these links are authentic NATO cans not knockoffs.

highdesertranger

I would not recommend any gas can (metal or plastic) for storage inside a vehicle. I think they even have specific warnings about that. Since they are not a pressurized container (like propane), they would be subject to off gassing due to temperature changes. Propane at least settles to the floor, not so sure about gasoline vapors.

Get your hitch carrier first. Saying that, I only carried extra gas for a short while for use with an external generator. I carried it in a metal jerry can in a basement compartment. If you are worried about running out of gas, fill up when you get to a 1/2 tank. Guess you could always put it on the roof rack. I saw this while driving the alaska highway. I didn't carry any extra driving it.

Keeping it locked up and safe from theft including siphoning by removing the lid is a priority if you have portable tanks.

My mini-van has been hit from behind multiple times.  A rear mounted cargo carrier would put the gas can right at the point of impact. 

I usually carry an empty 5 gallon jug.  Rarely I have up to 4 gallons.  I keep it behind the driver's seat well secured.  That is possibly the best protected spot.  Front bumper, roof, and rear bumper would be much less protected.  No matter what your final choice is, it is a judgement call picking between bad alternatives.

Lot's of good ideas and pointers so far.
I have read that some recommended marine fuel tanks because they are lower in height. Not sure though how you would transfer fuel.

RotoPax plastic gas cans are very high quality...but I dont own one so do your own research. 

I do own two of the Wavian metal NATO cans, the 10L size, (~2.5 gallons) and they are very high quality. 

Be sure to get the proper spout for whatever can you buy. 

I would NOT carry filled gas cans in the back of a minivan, but if you decide to do that anyway, I would recommend only ONE of the 10L Wavians, which is 2.5 gallons. Easy to handle when full, and will easily fit on the floor and with a few items around it, very little danger of tipping over. The 20L (5 gallon) size or larger will take up a fair amount of space, will be heavy when full, and could tip over or shift around due to the size and weight.

We carry a single metal Nato gas can (5gal) in the back of our E350 van. It's durable, does not have a vent so doesn't off gas, just make sure it's secured tightly. You'll need to buy a separate clip on spout for it. Shop very carefully, lots of rip off fake Nato cans out there.

-- Bass

exactly Bass. the NATO can is the only can that i would carry inside a passenger compartment. they absolutely do not vent fumes even if turned upside down.

X2 on the knock offs. stay away I can not stress this enough.

highdesertranger

I carry a Rhino Explosafe Steel Fuel Can 10 Litre (Yellow) which is a marine stlye can that sits quite low and stable.

I specifically wanted the Explosafe filling and although my can is only 10 Litres, they're manufactured in quite a size range and coloured for fuel types.

In my experience, all plastic gas cans offgas. It's the nature of the material. Steel cans with vent cap tight are much better. If I carry gas, I use the old round five gallon can I inherited from my late Dad. I used to use it for my motorcycle gas in my high school days in the early 1970s. It's as secure now as back then. The big cap and vent cap will close tight for travel. No gas smell.
I dispise the new "safety" gas cans with the various spout gimmicks. All are guatenteed to leak, and to offgas. Steel NATO style jerrycans are better, but require a special spout. If the heavy gas can is too much to lift, there are various options for siphon hoses. Hand prime bulb or battery powered.

the spout on the NATO cans is not permanently attached to the can. while it's true that the new spouts are those piece of sh!t enviro ones they are easy to modify. I got lucky and bought a couple nozzles before the mandate. as with the cans the chinese knock off nozzles are junk stay away from them. highdesertranger

i think a lot of companies sold out because of the current conditions. i got 2 of mine off of Amazon, I got 2 from a stick and brick store, and I got 4 from Lexington Container. i just did a quick check on Amazon and they are available there but be careful there are also knock offs there. highdesertranger

I use a plastic 6 gallon can.Since I don't want a gas can inside my van or camper,I sprayed black paint all over the top of the can and let it run down the sides.Looks butt ugly like used oil,but I have never had one stolen off the back bumper of my camper in several years of use.

How about just watching the gauge and not heading out into the unknown without filling up first?

Old Wolf those cans at Lexington Container are made in the same factory as Wavian in Latvia. the only difference is there is no "W" stamp into the side. I have 4 of the 20 Liter. highdesertranger

My gas can is used for the boat motor and generator.It would be a lot of trouble to haul my boat or genny back to town just to fill the tanks.