Frozen locks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingfelder

Reaction score
Tried to get into the outside-access compartment of my trailer today, and couldn't turn the lock.  This has happened to me a couple of times on my car too, when it was freezing.  It wasn't freezing today, but the lock could have frozen another time and just not thawed yet.

Ever happen to any of you?  And if so, what do you do about it?

I'd hate to have this happen when during some kind of emergency, because that's where I keep most of my emergency stuff!

If you haven't ever changed the lock, it's probably the same cheapo lock that's standard on trailer storage bays. They mostly share the same key, even! If yours is sticking, you might want to try some graphite lock lubricant, and if that doesn't fix it, change the lock out.

The Dire Wolfess

I use lock de-icer. It comes in a small pressurized can. You can find it at hardware stores and sometimes the automotive department of big box stores.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Lock-De-Icer/19864198

If you put almost boiling water in a freezer bag and hold it on the outside of the lock, I've had pretty good luck with using that to thaw out the lock if I didn't have that de-icer. The de-icer can be used every couple of weeks to prevent a freeze-up.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Simple is to heat the key with a lighter. The heat is applied directly to the pins and the cylinder.
Make sure the door isn't being pushed outward which would cause the latch to bind. Press in near the lock as you turn the key.

I just used the Walmart lock de-icer listed above on a padlock yesterday morning. Been using them for years.  Excellent for vehicle doors after an icy rain.  Cost less than $3 in store.  I get a new one every year as the propellant leaks out over time and makes them useless.

If you heat the key, just be sure to have pliers handy! Engine starting fluid will work if you can push the lock guard out of the way.
My basement doors were covered from freezing rain last winter so I quit locking them. So far, nothing has gone missing. Of course, camping folk are the best. We have to leave chairs, tables, grills, etc. out when we leave the RV.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Latest posts