Fresh water tank and water pumps.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

von_jonah

Reaction score
Since I essentially have no idea what I'm doing, I was wondering if someone could explain to me how a freshwater tank works? Do I hook up the waterhose to it to get water into my rv and there is a pump somewhere? 

in your water fill door you should have a fill the big cap and a hook up for city when available the little cap.  when filling your tank use the big one.   when on city use the little one just screw the hose to it and turn the water on this will not fill the tank.  also make sure you use potable water hose they are white with a blue stripe.  don't use a regular garden hose.  highdesertranger

Okay good deal. I'm going to an RV show this weekend and hopefully getting a new tank. Just kinda trying to learn what I'm looking at before I go.

While having separate inputs for local supply and tank fill is common, mine has one hose connection for both and a valve to switch between them.&nbsp; It has a separate hose input for tank flush (that I have green hoses for) that has a valve for black and grey tanks.<br><br>

There is also a 12v water pump near the tank to provide water pressure when working from the tank. Not necessary if you're hooked up to an outisde water source a it provides it's own pressure.

Mine has a city water hose hookup on the drivers side and a gravity filler (for the tank) on the passenger side. There are check valves in two places: <br><br>- At the city water hookup (so the pump won't push water out through it)<br><br>- Between the pump and the lines to the fixtures in the van (so city water can't push itself through the pump and into the tank)

I had a comercial RV.&nbsp; (1)Gravity fill to water tank. 12 volt water pump switched off by pressure. open faucet, pump runs water flows, close faucet, pump stops water stops. &nbsp; (2)Hose connection to RV system, the pressure disabled the pump and fed direct to RV plumbing. (1a) Switch to turn the power off to the pump. (1b) 12 volt fuse to protect the pump.

Mine has a switch on the wall between city/pump (which just shuts off the power to the pump). It might be the pump itself keeps city water from blowing to the tank but I assumed it had a check valve. The pump I have right now is partly bad. I actually combined two pumps into one to get it to work how it does now. The one the van had wouldn't pump water at all. A friend gave me one out of his old travel trailer with a bad motor. I combined parts from the two and bench tested it and got it to pump water but it won't shut off when the valves are closed (and there's no apparent leaks in the lines anywhere).<br><br>As it is, it works fine for the gally sink since the switch is right behind me when I'm standing at the sink. I can open the faucet, turn on the switch and let it flow unil I'm done then flip the switch back off.<br><br>I do intend to replace the pump later on though.. it's not at all hard to do.

<EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Here's some info I thought might help. </SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Geoff</SPAN></STRONG></EM>

the pump that will not shut off either has a bad pressure switch or no pressure switch.&nbsp; some pumps have no pressure switch they turn on and off from a wire that comes off the faucet itself.&nbsp; highdesertranger

Another thing that can cause the pump to run is a bad backflow valve.