free water in Quartzsite?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarledwolf

Reaction score
I'm certain this must have been asked many times before, but nothing shows up in the search.  Is there free water in Quartzsite?  Someone said at some point one of the gas stations allow it, but so far not at the chevron nor the 76.  Any other locations for water?  So far the best we found was 25 cents a gallon... Which will get expensive real fast. Hell, if there was a river close i,d boil and filter it if needed... But not finding that either. This is not me complaining, just trying to get my resources together.
Matt

If you go north on 95 about a mile you will find water 25 cents for 5 gallons.  This is across from the hardware store. 

It is best to buy deep well water there.

GotSmart said:
If you go north on 95 about a mile you will find water 25 cents for 5 gallons.  This is across from the hardware store. 

It is best to buy deep well water there.

This is the best place, it's a nickle a gallon. RV Pit stop is the place on the right as you head north.

There is a free dump about 2 miles north of town. You turn in to the left by a big Cell tower.
Bob

Must have misunderstood that. One sin says 5 cents a gallon, but all the others seem to say 25 cents per gallon or five gallons for $1. I will have to look again.
Matt

There are two different water outlets at the Kiosk. One is deep well water for a nickel a gallon and the other is purified water for 25 cents a gallon. If memory serves the one on the north wall is the nickel a gallon, the east wall is purified. There is more than one kiosk, that is for the north kiosk
Bob

Back in 1967 when I first started driving, gas was 22.9 cents per gallon, all taxes included.

Cheaper than Quartzsite purified water!

Since I have a Berkey water filter in the van, I would go for the 5 cent water and filter it.

OK, those say closed for the season. Does that mean until winter?

gnarledwolf said:
OK, those say closed for the season. Does that mean until winter?

Yeah, like probably in a week or so... :cool:

dnddo8.jpg
per their website everything is closed for the summer except the automated dump station and the south water station.

Oh and the .25/5 gallon water tastes fine. It just has more minerals in it than the filtered water.

kranky said:
Oh and the .25/5 gallon water tastes fine. It just has more minerals in it than the filtered water.

Hardly matters to me, i have been drinking boiled water from mountain springs for over a month when cooking?
Matt

I live in a house on well. Because there is no chlorine, water sitting in an open container soon has stuff growing in it. I haven't tried to store 5 gallons of it, maybe I should. Do you treat the water coming out of that deep well in Az?

DannyB1954 said:
I live in a house on well. Because there is no chlorine, water sitting in an open container soon has stuff growing in it. I haven't tried to store 5 gallons of it, maybe I should. Do you treat the water coming out of that deep well in Az?

All of my containers are still clean and smell good.  This is after sitting for 6 months unused with some water left in them.

DannyB1954 said:

I've lived on and stored well water for years all over the eastern seaboard and never had green stuff growing in any containers but then I've never left them open either. I put the lids on them to prevent evaporation and spillage not because of fear of mold growth.

I won't drink water that's been chlorinated, not even after being run through filters. I do carry a Sawyer filter but that's because of canoe/backpacking trips.

water in a clear/opaque container, even if sealed will grow algae.  I like the 7 gallon blue containers with a spout.

OK, did a Ron by, and letting people know the Pitt place is indeed still 5 gallons for 25cents for non filtered. Thanks for the info!
Matt

gnarledwolf said:
OK, did a Run by, and letting people know the Pitt place is indeed still 5 gallons for 25cents for non filtered. Thanks for the info!
Matt

B and C said:
water in a clear/opaque container, even if sealed will grow algae.  I like the 7 gallon blue containers with a spout.

I'm confused by this statement. Blue containers make water not grow stuff?

The key is not letting the UV light get to the water and sealing keeps the pathogens out.  No water can be stored forever.  I drain and refill on a monthly basis.  If you want to keep water longer, then it is wise to put some chlorine in it.  I don't remember the ratio but it is very small.  It is  5 to 10 drops per gallon IIRC.