Free Drinking Water?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chlorine is used in very small amounts in drinking water. Most are less than 5 parts per million. My system aimed for 2 ppm. Water Chlorination was introduced in 1902. The number of lives that were saved from waterborne disease can not be even estimated as it is to large. If you are worried about chlorine in your drinking or bathing water, a simple carbon filter will absorb chlorine. One as small as a shower head would not be long lasting. If it works by aerating, it is just moving any chlorine intro the air. Hold your breath? Filters such as these cartridges; https://www.amazon.com/4-Pack-Repla...&keywords=carbon+water+filter+housing+10+inch
Don't use them on hot water, filter the cold water into the system. One should last about 3 months before replacement.

water water everywhere and not a drop to drink :) :) just came to mind for some reason :)

I guess I don't feel comfortable using outdoor hose water to fill up my water filter and would rather use already somewhat filtered indoor tap water. I may just take an empty 1 gallon jug into a shop inside a backpack, fill it up in a restroom, then filter it inside the van.

Living on land off-grid for many decades, every tap was labelled "rain water" or "dam water".

During drought times, we used the latter for everything but human consumption, but "in the wet" had way more than we could handle.

Living on a boat, the sea-water taps are also clearly marked.

waverider1987 said:
I guess I don't feel comfortable using outdoor hose water to fill up my water filter and would rather use already somewhat filtered indoor tap water
This thread is the first I ever heard of the possibility that they may come from different sources, at least in civilised places.

Living in Utah, ON THE GRID, we had 3 different water sources for each home:

1. Household water, potable out of the tap

2. Secondary water, for yard, garden, and livestock, not recommended for drinking unfiltered

3. Irrigation water for those with irrigation water rights. This comes out of open ditches, guaranteed to be contaminated.

There's a reason water is called "first need." It is used by the powerful to keep the rest of us in line. Being water-independent is a great gift.

The Dire Wolfess

That's actually a great system for places where drinking-quality water is limited.

Do the outlets get clearly marked, or do people assume "everyone knows"

John61CT said:

The drinking water is called "culinary water," and any public facilities like gas stations that might have a spigot will be culinary water. There are often labels on public water sources like that. Secondary water is only for watering the grass and garden. There are outdoor spigots like the ones people have coming out of their houses that are usually not labeled. Drinking secondary water is not recommended but probably wouldn't kill you right away. I don't actually know what the difference is in terms of treatment. The irrigation water is not readily accessible, as it's in ditches and aqueducts. I guess if you were just passing through and didn't know, you could get hold of some secondary water by mistake. When I first moved there my neighbors immediately gave me a water-use tutorial.

The main rule is, culinary water inside, secondary water outside. Yes, the Mormons are a very practical people. They intend to survive! I learned a great deal living among them.

The Dire Wolfess

John61CT said:

Around me the spigots are usually not marked.  They are made inaccessible by taking the handle off, some have lockout tags on them.  Signs can be removed by pranksters/vandals.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Around me the spigots are usually not marked.  They are made inaccessible by taking the handle off, some have lockout tags on them.  Signs can be removed by pranksters/vandals.
Spiff, are you in Utah?

The Dire Wolfess

just own a 20lb canister and fill it time to time on the free water columnes

If you’re worried about a water source, add a Berkey Water Filter to your nomad traveling rig.

Latest posts