free battery test

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken ed

Reaction score
This may have been brought; up before; in short - Batteries Plus (now known as Batteries + Bulbs) will test you deep cycle batteries for free using  the correct test of a "capacity test." A lot of places do free battery tests, but they always give me the wrong answer when I ask what kind of test you perform. "Cold Crank Amp Test" they reply - and act like they're educating me on batteries.

I started the conversation with Batteries Plus the same as I always do, by asking "Do test deep cycle batteries?" The answer of course was "  yes." My next question was what kind of test do you do? They answered that you can't do a cold crank amp test, it's a capacity test; which is exactly what I wanted to hear them say.

My three-year-old batteries are well cared for, the result one being 98% and the other being 86%

P1030399.JPG
Battery Test.JPG

I had purchased some Mighty Max batteries that failed after five months, they came back from Batteries Plus at 21% capacity. Mighty Max covered them under warranty and sent me two replacements, but I'm going to take them directly over to Batteries Plus to have them tested as well. I also purchased two batteries from Batteries Plus for there trouble.

Attachments

• P1030399.JPG
    P1030399.JPG
    251 KB
  • Battery Test.JPG
    Battery Test.JPG
    19.8 KB
thanks, that's good to know. I wonder how this test is done. does it take long? is it the 20hour test? highdesertranger

yes, would really like to know what test procedure/protocol they are using

it takes a few days to do a real 20 hour test as you never get it right on the first try and you have to include charge time

highdesertranger said:
I wonder how this test is done.  does it take long?  is it the 20hour test?   highdesertranger

I meant to include that in my post, thanks.

Yes, it takes a couple days, if there is no one ahead of you in the testing. They told me the test charges the batteries up and then runs them down to a certain point (my guess is not to dead since that would damage the batteries). This is done several times, which they told me why it takes so long to complete the test.

The people that sold me my batteries on Amazon said Batteries Plus Bulbs is one place I could take them. The nice thing is Batteries Plus gave me the small sticker (that you see in the photo) that documents the test result. This, along with their (Batteries Plus) business card was enough documentation  to have the batteries replaced under warranty at no charge.

Useful tip, thanks broken ed.

broken ed said:
They told me the test charges the batteries up and then runs them down to a certain point (my guess is not to dead since that would damage the batteries). This is done several times, which they told me why it takes so long to complete the test.

Capacity is usually rated with a C/20 load.  So it they were testing the capacity of  a 100Ah battery to from 100% to 0% state of charge (100% depth of discharge)  they would put a 5A load on it (100/20 == 5) until it fell to 0% (still has a voltage in the elevens, not dead as a doornail) .  In a perfect world that would take about 20 hours.  In practice it takes less time because most batteries lose capacity over time and will fall to 0% faster with the same 5A load.

Then they have to charge them correctly, which will take many hours.

It's a lengthy process.  Luckily it doesn't have to be babysat and the counterfolk can just check on them every few hours.

Unfortunately if the battery in question is not close to 77 degrees F for the entire test the discharge test is not accurate.  Very few battery manufacturers supply enough specs that one could infer a fairly accurate discharge test for a battery that is not very near to 77 deg F.   The Lifeline battery company comes to mind as possibly providing enough detailed info to make that possible.

Latest posts