Free and cheap camping in TX

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyndi

Reaction score
Crossing TX stresses me out. I found this article, as I'm about to cross into NM

"We used to think free camping in Texas was non-existent. Then we discovered Wildlife Management Areas. Here's how you can enjoy them too..."

The article includes information about the 6 month WMA permit that costs $12. It's necessary to take advantage of WM areas. 

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/free-...tKoFjAAG32t-KATTa4Vuf6YZ0xIMuFMQAZo2VAqattbqY

I don’t like crossing Texas either Cyndi. Something about it is stressful to me also. Where are you heading? What great things have you seen? Inquiring minds want to know as I’m still stuck here.

Thanks for the link Cyndi! We found some really nice camping spots in other states at Wildlfe Management and Fish and Game lands.

We often stay at the little roadside picnic areas that are found on the rural backroads in Texas. Very quiet at night.

I have the Limited Use Permit and the booklet with all the State WMAs. Most of the areas really are not something to be counted on for camping. Some have areas to dry camp for hunters but it seems like most are for day use.

Back in April I did camp at Black Gap WMA for several days. It is huge and remote just outside of Big Bend NP. A stone's throw from Mexico and part of the border is the Rio Grande. Rules and regs. on most of them that do allow camping in areas that I was interested in were more of a pain than I wanted to contend with.

This time of year is pretty busy with hunters.

Lots of smaller towns in Texas offer cheap or free overnite camping in city or county owned RV parks. 

They do this to help the local economy. 

And most of the roadside rest areas in Texas offer overnite stays for free.

Actual free camping at actual campgrounds is admitedly, somewhat hard to find.

Unless you plan on hunting...fall is not a good time to go to many of the wildlife management areas because it is hunting season prime time. Some of them are closed in the fall to anyone who does not have a valid hunting permit. It is much too dangerous for the casual tourist to be wandering around in those areas during hunting season.

Western Texas especially has a bunch of free campgrounds complete with electricity and water for anywhere from 2 nights up to 5. Just check freecampsites.net. Such a good deal.

maki2 said:
Unless you plan on hunting...fall is not a good time to go to many of the wildlife management areas because it is hunting season prime time. Some of them are closed in the fall to anyone who does not have a valid hunting permit. It is much too dangerous for the casual tourist to be wandering around in those areas during hunting season.

Doubt if they're worried about casualties as much as they are about appeasing deep pocket hunter types. Big bucks in "camps", especially if corporate influence is in the mix.

It's more of a safety issue. Hunters have to wear orange vests. You as a camper do not and could easily blend into the surroundings. A hunter sees movement that is not orange and bang, you're dead. Nothing corporate about it. It is just big brother trying to protect you.