FREAKING OUT!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...I guess I never considered my death to be my problem. After all..I won't be there.

I don't have a pet. I am considering a small dog when I hit the road. But. I would worry for the pet.

I am the sole caregiver for my disabled Mom, experience has given me a new perspective on this.....Now, I would only worry that I would be found too soon and "saved" to be a burden on my kids.

One of the fellows I worked with got really mad at his wife when she bought funeral insurance. He asked her if she had ever seen a body laying on the side of the road in Greenup County to which she said "No, plenty of animals no people." to which he replied "Then go get insurance on your **** dog!"

LOL, good answers! I mean there isn't anyone I can call, that I can depend on. I'll
be totally free, on my own. Any suggestions?, or am I worrying about nothing?

DannyB1954 said:
Don't die. There will always be problems associated with dying. Especially if you are camped in the middle of nowhere by yourself. I don't know that I want to modify my next 20 years just to make the last day more manageable. You can keep in touch with friends to let them know where you are and when they should hear from you next. I joined the neptune society. Wherever my body is found, it will get disposed of. 

Pets are hard. but I think their odds are probably better than they would be if I had not gotten my dog from a kill shelter to start with. She is never far from me, so she will be found when I am. 

On the home base, Some have others don't. I personally do. I plan to be a part timer during the hot summer. I may use a phone app that lets friends track me. If I don't move for a spell, or they don't hear from me, they will know something is wrong and where I was last.

Thanks a lot, really.  Had planned on cremation to be cheaper for my son (have a life ins. policy) and this'll work out well!  Since it's illegal to catapult anyone in Ohio he says.

VanKitten said:

I am the sole caregiver for my disabled Mom, experience has given me a new perspective on this.....Now, I would only worry that I would be found too soon and "saved" to be a burden on my kids.

This, so much.  I took care of my mom and watched her go in inches, I NEVER want that.

This discussion has given me an idea. Are you good with electronics? I know someone suggested it tongue and cheek earlier to invent something and then rake in the millions but you know there is something to it. All this talk about dying on the road has made me think that maybe a device which you can wear can send a distress signal if anything goes wrong or maybe something that sends a signal if something goes wrong with the vehicle. Something cheaper than ONStar? I know that you can get EPIRIB devices for boats for around $500 so maybe something like that?

Update: I should have googled first. These devices already exist.

There used to be a scam organization that preyed on seniors.  Lifecall. 

"I'VE FALLEN AND CAN'T GET UP!" was the slogan to scare people into paying $1,400 or more a year for a miniature device that would alert a company several states away, and they would then call local emergency responders.  

Local hospitals would issue similar devices for a few dollars a month. 

When I found that my mother had signed up. I called and canceled.  The salesperson first told me that the deal was done.  (3 days to cancel any home sales contract) then claimed it also included fire protection.  (Loud fire alarms in a senior housing community Fire department 1/2 mile away) then got nasty about us ignoring her.  ( Family visited her every day.  Her sister lived two houses over) 

Today we have cell phones with speed dial. 

In my opinion, the best thing would be for my kids to just get a phone call.  My father spent years fighting cancer, and that was not easy for everyone involved.

First, I'll say that I don't think it matters where you die. You will be dead and won't worry about anyone finding you. They will some day and contact anyone you choose if you have contact info where it can be found. But, having said that, this is one reason I would like to have a tribe to travel with when I hit the road next spring. Someone to socialize with and to be aware of you and what is happening with you.

I met like 10 people so far who lived in small cars. One guy had an old vw rabbit. You car is doable, you just might have to modify it. Youll be stealthier than a van. Its different than being homeless, you can go to truckstops, walmarts, park n rides, etc. You can heat it with a small propane heater. Or just roll out to warmer climate and live off ss.

You could be saving those house bills either way.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

exnavyabfc said:
First, I'll say that I don't think it matters where you die. You will be dead and won't worry about anyone finding you. They will some day and contact anyone you choose if you have contact info where it can be found. But, having said that, this is one reason I would like to have a tribe to travel with when I hit the road next spring. Someone to socialize with and to be aware of you and what is happening with you.

I hear you on that, just so someone knows you're ok.  I think we all at times, need one another, trusting is another issue. Thank you for your reply.

VanLifeCrisis said:
I met like 10 people so far who lived in small cars.  One guy had an old vw rabbit.  You car is doable, you just might have to modify it.  Youll be stealthier than a van.  Its different than being homeless, you can go to truckstops, walmarts, park n rides, etc. You can heat it with a small propane heater.  Or just roll out to warmer climate and live off ss.

You could be saving those house bills either way.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

As soon as I get a few things situated, I'll be good to go! Am getting some things together for on the road, but also for camping before then.  Thanks for your reply!

Can you hear a reggae beat????????
Doooooo do do do Dooo do do dooooooooooooooo
Don't worry , be happy !