FREAKING OUT!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totaling a car could total you and bad karma sucks.

its only bad karma if you believe it to be bad

Several seasonal jobs in the west will start soon, several provide housing, maybe you can work in the warmer climate use a tent with the hhr and loose enough bills that after a few months get out of debt? If your gonna loose it all anyway try to use best what you have.

I didn't think of that !
You drive her car , total it ,your insurance pays for it and you get the good karma.
Problem solved!

Yeah , her insurance won't go up either , yours will !
I get it , I get it ..............

Oh , we forgot one thing....what if she likes living in the HHR ?
Probably way better fuel consumption too.

The more you look around the forum, the more very low income happy people you will see, not just women, men too. I'm not making light of your situation but there are others here in worse shape financially and, or physically. If they can do it, so can you. Right now you seem panicked and frustrated.
That's okay. If you can get through the confusion you may be in, you will figure this all out. It wasn't easy for most of us. We are here to help because many have been where you are now.
I'm from Ohio, I left when I turned 61, I'm 63 now. Being in Ohio, you probably haven't seen enough sun to make you happy and healthy.

Dragonfly, here at the incredible 2017 Rtr.

rvpopeye said:
Yeah , her insurance won't go up either , yours will !
I get it , I get it ..............

Oh , we forgot one thing....what if she likes living in the HHR ?
Probably way better fuel consumption too.

You're right, I forgot the part where she said she totally bought the right vehicle

Only a few ways to improve your finances. Make more or spend less. Sometimes making less is better because it qualifies you for assistance programs. At full Social Security retirement age, ( I think 66 for you), there is no penalty for making too much money. Some people here hit all the garage sales, then turn around on the weekends and rent a booth at a flea market and sell for a profit.

Some areas have subsidized housing, which may work for you. Food stamps and food banks can greatly reduce the food bill. volunteering at a food bank will usually get you a couple of bags of food a week. If you don't have good internet, go to the library and watch Youtube videos on car camping.

DannyB1954 said:
Only a few ways to improve your finances. Make more or spend less. Sometimes making less is better because it qualifies you for assistance programs.  At full Social Security retirement age, ( I think 66 for you), there is no penalty for making too much money. Some people here hit all the garage sales, then turn around on the weekends and rent a booth at a flea market and sell for a profit.  

Some areas have subsidized housing, which may work for you. Food stamps and food banks can greatly reduce the food bill. volunteering at a food bank will usually get you a couple of bags of food a week. If you don't have good internet, go to the library and watch Youtube videos on car camping.

Thanks Danny, I always had luck with selling on ebay.  Maybe it's time to start shopping to sell again.  Even with just Soc. Sec., I make too much for food stamps.  I do use food banks though. Make too much for sub housing too, over by $200./$300. gross a year.  Just tight all around.

Here is a very important detail that you and many people aren't aware of.

You say that you filed for bankruptcy a couple of years ago and forgot to include some debts in your original filing and now have to pay them off. If that is the case, you are absolutely wrong, for as long as the debts would have been dischargeable at the time of the original filing, they are discharged.

Even if valid debts are not included in the actual filing, they are still covered and you should not be paying them. You need to go back to a bankruptcy attorney and he/she can reopen your case to include those debts and voilà! Many more dollars a month available. It's pretty easy and shouldn't be more than two or three hundred dollars. Even a paralegal could likely assist you if you can't afford an attorney and the court costs aren't too bad, either.

I know you think you can't afford to go back to the court, but you really can't afford not to. Keep me posted. I'm not an attorney, but I know a lot about this subject. Personally, unfortunately.
Ted

At my wise age of 26, Ive realized when I panic, my thinking skills plummet. So just do something relaxing, get a plan of attack.

Im not an expert in finance, but I enjoy saving money various ways so Im never without.

Ok folks, Got another question. I'm older, 65, and wondered if everyone has a home base. I won't have one and wondered if that should/will be a problem down the road. I don't want to croak on the road with no way, or where for my stuff and will always have a dog. Any suggestions?

Beansmom said:
  Any suggestions?

Don't die. There will always be problems associated with dying. Especially if you are camped in the middle of nowhere by yourself. I don't know that I want to modify my next 20 years just to make the last day more manageable. You can keep in touch with friends to let them know where you are and when they should hear from you next. I joined the neptune society. Wherever my body is found, it will get disposed of. 

Pets are hard. but I think their odds are probably better than they would be if I had not gotten my dog from a kill shelter to start with. She is never far from me, so she will be found when I am. 

On the home base, Some have others don't. I personally do. I plan to be a part timer during the hot summer. I may use a phone app that lets friends track me. If I don't move for a spell, or they don't hear from me, they will know something is wrong and where I was last.

Beansmom said:
Ok folks, Got another question.  I'm older, 65, and wondered if everyone has a home base.  I won't have one and wondered if that should/will be a problem down the road.  I don't want to croak on the road with no way, or where for my stuff and will always have a dog.  Any suggestions?

I don't have a home base, hopefully won't have one for many years to come and I'm a little bit older than you (well my birth certificate says I am anyways.... :D ).

I DO hope I croak on the road, that would mean that I was out there doing what I love doing, not sitting somewhere waiting for the big event to happen!!

I use LocSMS app on my phone to let my kids know where I'm at each night when I'm travelling. One uses it to check out my adventures, the other thinks it's so he knows where to find my body! Different viewpoints... :rolleyes:

While I'm only 37 I am going to be carrying my backpacking GPS/SOS unit with me since I really don't have anyone who would report me missing for a while in the US. I use my InReach a lot when backpacking to send "OK" messages. I will likely do this on the road too; if family doesn't hear from me once a week or something they have my last GPS co-ordinates.