FoxFi app for wireless WiFi tethering from your Android phone

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyc

Reaction score
<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Hello fellow members,&nbsp; <br><br>I just want to pass along this information as it might be helpful for&nbsp;others.&nbsp; This FoxFi app on my Android phone works great!&nbsp; I currently have the Samsung Note 2 Android phone by Verizon.&nbsp;&nbsp; Disclosure:&nbsp; No, I don't work for FoxFi, nor have any affiliations with the app.&nbsp; Just want to pass along useful info.<br><br>Casey<br><br>FoxFi app at Google Play store (Free version – or $6.97 one time fee for unlimited usage).&nbsp; See link below.</span></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><a href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&amp;hl=en" rel="nofollow"><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255); font-family: Calibri; font-size: medium;">https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&amp;hl=en</span></a></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: medium;">&nbsp;</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">FoxFi app turns your Android phone into a wireless WiFi hotspot (no USB cord needed) and can support multiple devices wirelessly tethered to your phone.&nbsp; First download the free version of FoxFi app to make sure it works on your Android phone.&nbsp; If the app works, then you can choose to upgrade to pay the $6.97 fee for unlimited usage.&nbsp; If you pay for the FoxFi app, you will get another icon on your phone that says “FoxFi Key” in addition to “FoxFi” icon.&nbsp; Both icons should work fine, but I choose to use the FoxFi Key icon.</span></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: medium;">&nbsp;</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: medium;">FoxFi had recently merged with another app called PdaNet+.&nbsp; Therefore you might be prompted to also download PdaNet+.&nbsp;&nbsp; If you downloaded and paid for FoxFi app, and you don’t get the prompt to also install PdaNet+ app, then you can just ignore it.&nbsp; Otherwise, if you were to download PdaNet+ app (in addition to the paid version of FoxFi), then you can use both apps, and you <strong>don’t</strong> need to pay for PdaNet+ since you already paid for the FoxFi app.&nbsp; Again, if FoxFi app works fine by itself, you don’t need to download the optional PdaNet+ app.&nbsp; If you paid $6.97 for the FoxFi upgrade, you will see the words “Full Version Unlocked” at bottom of the FoxFi app screen.</span></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: medium;">&nbsp;</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Once you’ve installed the FoxFi app to your Android phone, just tap the box “Activate WiFi Hotspot”.&nbsp; You can also choose to set a password by tapping on the screen where it says “Password (WPA2)” &nbsp;and choosing your own personal password.&nbsp; Then with your laptop/Wifi device, go to WiFi setting, and find the name that says something like FoxFi (eg: FoxFi58, FoxFi60, etc), then enter the password you created.</span></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: medium;">&nbsp;</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Once your laptop/Wifi device is wirelessly connected to your phone, the FoxiFi app will show the name/model number of your laptop/Wifi device, which you can then re-name to something else such as “Rob’s Sony laptop”, etc.&nbsp; When you are done using FoxFi, make sure to un-check the box for “Activate WiFi Hotspot, as this app is draining your phone battery.&nbsp; Ideally, you should be charging your phone if possible while using FoxFi app, since wireless tethering drains the phone&nbsp;battery faster.</span></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: medium;">&nbsp;</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">NOTE:&nbsp; FoxFi app probably won't work on Apple iPhones, because this app is not found in the Apple store ( don't think).&nbsp;&nbsp;Another possibility is to “jail break” an iPhone and install a similar app called PdaNet for wireless tethering.&nbsp;&nbsp; Here's a link for information on&nbsp;jail&nbsp;breaking an iPhone for installing PdaNet: &nbsp;<a href="http://lifehacker.com/5865959/the-best-tethering-app-for-iphone" rel="nofollow">http://lifehacker.com/5865959/the-best-tethering-app-for-iphone</a>&nbsp; Just do a Google search for more articles related to jail breaking an iPhone for use with PdaNet.&nbsp;&nbsp; Or check out this link for more articles:&nbsp; <a href="http://www.google.com/#hl=en&amp;tb...;fp=785d3bc0fb80a0d7&amp;biw=1280&amp;bih=638" rel="nofollow">http://www.google.com/#hl=en&amp;tb...;fp=785d3bc0fb80a0d7&amp;biw=1280&amp;bih=638</a><br><br>NOTE:&nbsp; Some Android phones might not be compatible with the FoxFi app.&nbsp; For example, the LG Esteem Android phone through MetroPCS&nbsp;won’t work with the FoxFi app.&nbsp; I don't know why.<br></span></span><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: medium;">&nbsp;</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">NOTE:&nbsp; FoxFi app will use your internet data plan through your cell phone carrier.&nbsp; Ideally, you should have unlimited data plan to not incur additional data charges.&nbsp; Even if you don't have unlimited data plan, this app will still work for your Android smartphone.</span></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='color: rgb(123, 151, 38); font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 16pt;'>Description</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; line-height: 18pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='color: black; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 7.5pt;'>Turns your Android phone into a free WiFi or Bluetooth Hotspot - no rooting or tether plan required. Just install and turn it on. </span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; line-height: 18pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='color: black; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 7.5pt;'>You can connect from any computers or tablets or even game console. Access Point is infrastructure mode with WPA2 security. FoxFi usage is covered under the same phone data plan you have and no tether plan needed. This saves you $20/month from your carrier.</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; line-height: 18pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='color: black; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 7.5pt;'>The free version now has a usage limit that requires you to restart FoxFi to continue using free mode. You can purchase the full version key to unlock this.</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; line-height: 18pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='color: black; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 7.5pt;'>Currently WiFi mode does not work on most phones with Jelly Bean (except for a few models) and most HTC phones (except for HTC One). However Bluetooth mode works for all phones. To check and see if WiFi mode can be supported on your phone visit <a href="http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...=D&amp;usg=AFQjCNGoCGDMralDYme8cuPMHptL2SpX8w" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"><span style="color: rgb(61, 61, 61); text-decoration: none; text-underline: none;">http://foxfi.com/devices</span></a></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; line-height: 18pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;" class="MsoNormal"><strong><span style='color: black; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";'><span style="font-size: medium;">*Sprint and AT&amp;T has removed FoxFi from Market. If you can not find FoxFi please install or upgrade from </span><a href="http://www.google.com/url?q=http://foxfi.com/bin&amp;sa=D&amp;usg=AFQjCNHdIxtQU19tIVgvchIpZh0JJzsXEQ" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"><span style="color: rgb(61, 61, 61); text-decoration: none; text-underline: none;"><span style="font-size: medium;">http://foxfi.com/bin</span></span></a><span style="font-size: medium;">, or scan the QR code in the third screenshot.</span></span></strong></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; line-height: 18pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='color: black; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 7.5pt;'>Here are some tips to help your usage:<br> 1. On some models if you run into WiFi problem after using the Hotspot, simply reboot your phone and rename the hotspot before activating to clear the issue.<br> 2. For some Samsung phones if your computer is not able to get an IP address, try to turn on WiFi on the phone first and make sure it does not connect to any WiFi network, then turn on FoxFi.<br> 3. FoxFi is tested on non-rooted phones. If your phone has a rooted ROM it may or may not work.<br> 4. When WiFi hotspot is activated you may also see a hotspot notification of the built-in WiFi hotspot feature. Please ignore it. As long as you do not sign up for a tether plan you won't be charged.<br> 5. If you enter or change the hotspot password, make sure you rename the hotspot also before activating.<br> 6. Sometimes Windows need a "repair" on the WiFi menu to get a correct IP address.<br> 7. If you install the FoxFi AddOn app, you will also be able to hide tether usage by setting a proxy server address in the computer browser.</span></p>

Update here: &nbsp;I have a couple friends with particular Android phones on the Sprint network that cannot use the Foxfi nor PdaNet apps. It appears that Sprint is blocking them from the wireless tethering app usage. &nbsp;That really sucks. &nbsp;I have other friends who have Android phones on the Verizon network, and they have absolutely no problems. &nbsp;So your mileage will vary.

Another update here:&nbsp; Apparently Foxfi and PdaNet will not work if you have an HTC brand phone. I have friends with HTC phones with Sprint and Verizon, and they get error messages saying HTC has blocked wireless tethering...&nbsp; That sucks!&nbsp;

Actually, that's not quite true. &nbsp;HTC phones seem to block unauthorized tethering, especially HTC phones by Sprint. &nbsp;<br><br>However, I went to 2 different MetroPCS stores, and the reps there proved to me that their Samsung Galaxy S3 phones do in fact work with the Foxfi wireless tethering app. &nbsp;I saw this with my own eyes, and played with their phones to make sure it works. &nbsp;<br><br>

i have Verizon HTC Thunderbolt. With the 5GB plan I have wifi hotspot on my phone. It can also tether, witch is good as internet uses the power very fast.

Zil,<br><br>Do you have the (grandfathered) unlimited internet data plan?&nbsp; Or based on what you wrote, it appears you have the "shared plan" with 5GB, which means you have to pay overage fee if you go over 5GB of data per month, is that correct?&nbsp; From what I understand, if you have the Verizon Shared Plan, you have also have the Verizon mobile hotspot (wifi) feature activated without having to pay the extra $30 monthly fee&nbsp;that this service normally charges.&nbsp; For myself, I have the unlimited internet data plan because I'm under the old contract, which means if I want the mobile wifi hotspot feature, I would have to pay Verizon an extra $30 monthly.&nbsp; Instead of paying extra, I'm using the FoxFi/PadNet app that allows me to have the same mobile wifi hotspot function but withOUT having to pay Verizon extra for this.<br><br>Casey

Update here. Foxfi app continues to work for me, even despite Verizon having forced a major Android update to Version 4.3 on my Android phone. Previously, my Android version was something like 4.2 something. Immediately following the forced update a couple months ago, the Foxfi app no longer worked for wireless tethering. But a few days later, Foxfi created a "fix" which required some sort of "certficate" app to be installed which made Foxfi work again. Whew!! Almost had to break down and (gasp!) throw Verizon an extra $30 a month for their mobile hotspot feature. I already pay Verizon too much for my monthly plan, so I'm glad I don't have to pay any more. Well, at least for now.

I haven't read this thread but do know that if you happen to be grandfathered in on a unltd data plan with AT&T they are watching. If they catch you, they can and will change you over from the unltd plan to a ltd tethering plan. This has already happened to a friend of mine (who was tethering his tablet to play ingress) and was peaking at about 2GB's per month. ATT first sends out a notice stating that they will begin throttling data speeds if you exceed 2GBs consistently. This is for those grandpa'd in on the unltd data plans.

Interesting to note, though tMobile's coverage is horrible in the US, they have unlimited data on all their plans (but they toggle your speeds after 1g, 3g, 10g, etc). If you are on their Unlimited plan for $70 per line, they DO NOT toggle your speeds. People on many internet sites (the largest being Reddit) reported just last month they used over 80GB of data via VPN's with tethering without any toggling. I'm pretty sure FoxFi offers the same type of hidden tethering, thus you can get truly unlimited data.

Btw, the friend who was busted and lost his unltd data plan with att was usin foxfi. it's not the cats meow unfortunately.

I have heard of those threatening letters from cell phone companies. AT&T is probably among the worst of them. I'm sure some Foxfi users tether gazillions of GBs compared to me. I used to think that I was a relatively heavy user at between 10 to 20 GB of data per month. That's until I read that others use 50 to 100 GB of data monthly! That's unreal!! For myself, I only tether maybe one hour a day at most, and some days none at all. Since my Samsung Note 2 smartphone has a huge @ss screen of 5.5", it's almost the size of a small tablet so I can easily watch Netflix and YouTube videos directly through my phone most of the time.

Yeah my friend received and ignored them. Hence why they changed his plan. He tried to fight it, but ATT was well within their rights to do so based on the fine print.

The cost of portable wifi hot spots has become quite affordable now though. Millenicom has a great wifi hotspot deal @ 20GBs for $70 per month (which goes thru Verizon network). Since that's a bit high in price for me (at this time) I went with TMob's 2.5GBs at $30 per month. You can tether up to 10 devices with either.

My current mobile phone service is with ATT. I considered making the switch to TMob, and would get a discount for having two devices with them. I won't even with them paying the ETF because I just got my Moto X and freaking love it too much. I would have to give it up based on the deal they got going and they don't stock it. The Nexus 5 is tempting but the reviews of it have not been as good as my Moto X.

I got my Nexus 5 with Tmobile (also recently switched from ATT) and its phenomenal. It's not as big as the Moto X, but it's speed will give it a run for it's money. It can also do 360 degree viewing, pictures and video, which is pretty incredible. Camera focus is under 1 second, which is also incredible. Super light weight, feels super good. Even ot rid of my credit cards to use on Google Wallet to use with any device carrying NFC at the supermarket!

Anyways, /fanboyrant, I would definitely recommend those who tether use a VPN. Might be a bit more advanced, but you won't have to worry about your phone company changing the phone, because the VPN is on the router and computer, not the phone--thus it cannot be patched.

That Moto X phone looks cool. Did you get various customizations for it? I like large @ss screen phones nowadays. Heck, I'd be tempted to get the giant 6.3" screen Samsung Mega phone if it were available thru Verizon, but alas it's not.

I picked up a stock Moto X (black) because I needed a replacement in a hurry. Otherwise I would have gotten a custom build. I also scored the commuter otterbox case for it. It's a little less bulkier than the standard otter boxes, but love the amount of protection it offers.

I also use this app, the paid version. My carrier is MetroPcs now owned by T-Mobile.

Utilizing the T-Mobile airwaves, the fasted download speed has been 36 Mbps, and about 15 Mbps upload.

I also utilize browser user agent changes to make it look like I am using a mobile browser or as a bot.

My plan is the mid level at fifty bucks, unlimited everything with the exception of my red dropping after 2.5gigs of bandwidth. If I paid the sixty bucks for the top plan, all would be at the high speed.

So far, I have heard of no one being kicked off.

Root access to an android phone along with an unlocked bootloader combined with Wireless Tether or Wifi tether will give you secure efficient results at a cost of free. Beware rooting your phone is now illegal as you don't actually own it just pay for the privilege of looking cool and being tracked. Not the easiest task in the world so computer knowledge is necessary but if you're serious I could walk you through it.

Also some phones come equipped with the inherent ability. My s4 provides wireless tether for 5 i think by default.

I think all the Samsung phones can tether, but they have a "wifi" tether instead of a "data" tether, which you can use a work around with if you tether from a different device. I wouldn't recommend the illegal route though, if you're caught using a data tower that you don't pay for, that's a very hefty fine.

Latest posts