Found It

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_Muerte

Reaction score
I think I finally found my new home.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4707940776.html

She is a little rough, but lots of potential for upgrades. Long and high top; best of both worlds. A former ambulance with upgraded steering, suspension, and alternator. Only downside, imo, it isn't a diesel or a 300 straight six.

I have the almost exact in a 2001. driving her to Chicago on Sunday. 200k miles and going strong after 2 years of pumping money about 4k just to get started. Good luck i know you will make the right choice.

dragonflyinthesky said:
She looks good and the price is cheap. Have you looked at it yet?
The owner can't meet me until Monday. Just as well, the tag office is closed until Monday anyway.

Monday is Columbus Day. The tag office is probably closed until Tuesday.

At least, it is in my home state . . .

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Monday is Columbus Day. The tag office is probably closed until Tuesday.

At least, it is in my home state . . .

Regards
John
You just had to pee in my corn flakes, didn't ya. LOL

Be cautious of vehicles the seller can't or won't drive to where he can take a decent set of photos. And "it ran when __________" is one of the oldest lines when someone is trying to unload a pile of trouble.

Hard to read the jumbled text, but it seems one or more tires are flat. Floor looks rough and messy. Front bumper is damaged - check for collision......

MrNoodly said:
Be cautious of vehicles the seller can't or won't drive to where he can take a decent set of photos. And "it ran when __________" is one of the oldest lines when someone is trying to unload a pile of trouble.

The owner has already told me that I can road test it when I get there Monday, if it doesn't run well it will influence my decision.

The Left Front tire is flat. I will use my compressor to inflate it for the road test. One bad tire will not deter me. I will check very closely for damage, thanks.

LeeRevell said:
Floor looks rough and messy.

Yeah, if a guy can't tidy up a vehicle before selling it, it might be a sign of how the van has been neglected. I mean, come on, seller, would you be attracted to a dirty, junky vehicle? Are you selling it just so you don't have to wash it? Sheesh, some people.

MrNoodly said:
Yeah, if a guy can't tidy up a vehicle before selling it, it might be a sign of how the van has been neglected. I mean, come on, seller, would you be attracted to a dirty, junky vehicle? Are you selling it just so you don't have to wash it? Sheesh, some people.
I think that is just excess wood and insulation from where she was building a floor. I won't know for sure until I see it tomorrow.

Wishing you good luck. My van looked filthy when I bought it and had smoke coming from one tire. The caliper, two tires and brake shoes are the only expenses I've had over a year later.

MrNoodly said:

Some people is exactally right....

some people simply don't think about things like "how bad my rig looks when I take photos of it to sell", or how easy it'd be to give it a quick bath, clean out the crap, and park it in the sun for a nice picture.

Some folks are just too lazy, and just want it gone.

Hoping for the best DM!! :)

Thanks for the good wishes, but the van was a bust. The bent bumper was indicative of frame damage. It would cost more to repair than I want to spend.

Sometimes it's just a matter of timing. I searched seven states for three months but, presto, a great one finally showed up locally.

As an example of timing, I went to a small dealership to see a van they'd advertised. I held the door for a guy who arrived at the same time. He was there about the same van and got to test drive it first. When he came back, he said, "I'll take it."

Sometimes the biggest favor you can do for yourself is knowing when to walk away. I've purchased too many motorcycles because love/lust clouded my vision of warning signs and outright things wrong with them... I now have a policy: if I can't drive it home, I don't buy it...

mconlonx said:
Sometimes the biggest favor you can do for yourself is knowing when to walk away. I've purchased too many motorcycles because love/lust clouded my vision of warning signs and outright things wrong with them... I now have a policy: if I can't drive it home, I don't buy it...

Yeah. It was hard to walk away since it was so close to what I really want. So, I am still looking. :(