Ford Transit Stealth?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure but I believe the Toy Sienna and Honda Odyssey have more cu.in of cargo space that the Transit (?), About the same mpg and IMHO much more reliability....
KinA

Problem, for me at least, is that the Odyssey and Sienna don't come with hi-tops, and that's a deal breaker.
I've had my TC for a year now and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble.

As for living in a pickup truck w/shell? Sure, why not? I've got a friend with a mid-sized Nissan w/shell who uses the exact same bed I have (he helped me build mine). :)

Where I walk around sometimes a guy has a 2013 or 14 Grand Caravan CV (cargo).  It's white and really stealthy. I never see him driving so I have no idea what's in it.  I wondered how it compared with a Ford Transit Connect, so I read some Edmunds reviews.  Here's a consumer review of his:

Perfect van for service technicians
By sikpuppy on 05/20/15 00:52 AM (PDT)
Vehicle

2015 Ram CV Tradesman 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
Review

I just got the C/V as a company vehicle about a month ago. Coming from a Ford Transit, this vehicle is like riding on a cloud...a quick cloud! And I no longer feel like I'm going to get run over while trying to merge onto the freeway. The "expert review" that said the Transit is more comfortable around town is completely inaccurate. Comparing the Transit or NV200 to a Ram C/V isn't even fair...to Ford, Nissan or Chrysler. Any employee or other person travelling from site to site all day is going to be way happier in the C/V...and a lot safer than in a Transit or NV200. The C/V is smooth, powerful, has power everything and ample space for tools/equipment. Even the stock sound system rocks!

Favorite Features

The van has power when you need it (like getting on the freeway). The cargo space is just right for tools and equipment needed for technical service work. The seats are super comfortable. The steering is precise and the suspension is suitable for fairly heavy loads. There's an "Economy" button that I'm told cuts 30% percent of fuel to the injectors for better fuel mileage, but I haven't verified that. I'm a pretty mellow driver, but the transmission is a hybrid 6-speed auto and/or manual shift if you get a wild hair up your butt. :)

Suggested Improvements

I'm adding a back-up camera. Daytime running lights would be nice. Nothing that can't be added on. I just hope that Ram/Chrysler doesn't discontinue the vehicle. That would be a shame.

I price checked on the Edmunds calculator for the Transit Connect cargo with the turbo motor vs the Grand Caravan CG with the larger 6, and added a few options, not much is available...
The prices came out nearly dead even.  

Sounds like other than a bit of headroom, the Dodge product is better.  Certainly roomier and maybe no long term engine issues such as the Eco boost may get.  Turbos would be spendy to repair...  I also didnt like the lower payload of the Transit, (1,600)  vs 1800. A vandweller may not have much but weight adds up pretty quickly.  

The Transit gets 2-4 more mpg than the Dodge and rides supposedly more carlike. The poster above didn't agree.

The Dodge has 22 cubic feet more space inside. Transit is taller, Dodge is longer.

The Dodge has 4 wheel disc brakes while the Transit cargo has rear drums (Transit wagon has the rear discs).

They are about the same price yet have some significant differences.

I have a friend with a new Dodge Cargo Van minivan and she loves it. None of them have seats, but you can get an option where they put a hatch in the floor where the hole is where the seat would fold down into. It'a a huge amount of empty space!!!!!!! They also have an option where the back door windows roll down and the windows behind it crack open.

I thought this was the best minivan to live in I've ever seen.
Bob

Pretty good power and very good mileage too. I've seen a handicap one around with a tall roof. I don't know how many are on the used market, they are rare... Should have seen more for delivery usage but don't. Unsure why...

I see lots of Transit Connects though, at least 5-10 a day. All are cargo configured. The local Big O tire shop has a couple of them. If I were to get one I'd want it a couple feet longer though. Of course my lard as$ needs more room and the supposed stiffer suspension of the Dodge... :)

I have been very happy with my Grand Caravan, a Gen Four (today's is Gen Five), with the 3.8L V6. Power is very good, and I call it "The Man's Minivan". Among it's class it is a hotrod! I am 6/4" tall and north of 350 lbs. I am very comfy in it - a huge reason I bought it. Access is great with both big sliding side doors and the rear hatch. 12V power outlets literally all over the place inside! Some keyed, some direct. Remove the middle and rear seats, I have three large underfloor storage bins. A 4X8 foot black rubber truck bed liner keeps the carpet clean and the floor smoother.
I average 20.5 MPG with combined driving daily.
I have looked at the small Nissan and the Transit Express and think, "Why?" I'd lose so much! :)
And the GC is stealth personified, it is so much a part of the scenery these days. The side and rear glass are darkish, and not hard to cover.
I have seen a few with raised roofs, which would be good comfortwise, but would be more noticeable.

That's great that it works for another big guy. I would have a hard time dealing with losing the headroom but you seem to have figured that out. If my conversion dies I'll have to look at them. Only problem for me with what I drive is fuel, in town it's like 12-13, but then I drive less than 20 a day, sometimes 10 depending on where I stay. That's where the GC or Transit Connect does a lot better, and the TC at least has some headroom, not like a mid top but some. It's just kinda short. Very stealthy though.

Do you have a house battery? Type? It doesn't matter if it's a GC, TC or conversion, we all have to rig something up at some time.

There is absolutely nothing stealthy about my TC. The sliding camper windows, awning bar, kayak and, soon-to-be, solar panel, do and will take care of that. :p

Fortunately I'm not living in it right now, so it doesn't matter. I just use it for camping so I'm not in one place too long. When/if I end up full-timing in it, I'll be parking at work at night so there won't be any need for being stealthy or hiding. Both yards at work are gated, and even if I park outside the gates, there's parking off-street, so it's private property and the police can't do anything about it. :D

dusty98 said:
That's great that it works for another big guy.  I would have a hard time dealing with losing the headroom but you seem to have figured that out.  If my conversion dies I'll have to look at them.  Only problem for me with what I drive is fuel, in town it's like 12-13, but then I drive less than 20 a day, sometimes 10 depending on where I stay.  That's where the  GC or Transit Connect does a lot better, and the TC at least has some headroom, not like a mid top but some.  It's just kinda short.  Very stealthy though.

Do you have a house battery?  Type?  It doesn't matter if it's a GC, TC or conversion, we all have to rig something up at some time.

I have a marine cycle battery in a portable case for roadtrips.  Provides 12V juice for small devices for a weekend.  Since I live on my own property I don't always carry it.
I will have a permanent solar/battery bank on my E150 Conversion.