Ford E350 Site for DIY Help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safaribob

Reaction score
I have a 1993 E350 Hi-Top Super Van.&nbsp; From the factory it had the Ford RV Prep Package and then some vendor did the interior build-out into a Class B.<br><br>2 weeks after I bought it the side interior cargo door handle mechanism stopped working--it can still be opened from the outside but not from the inside.&nbsp; For some time I have been looking for a Ford van forum where I might find some help trouble shooting the issue myself.&nbsp; Does anyone know of a good forum for this kind of thing?<br><br>With so many Class B's built on a Ford Van chassis, maybe knowing of a good Do-It-Yourself forum will help someone else. <br><br>Thanks in advance.<br><br>

<FONT size=3>&nbsp;I don't have any forum help for you...there must be one out there somewhere!&nbsp; </FONT><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=3>I can totally empathize with your door problem, though.&nbsp; If I had any complaint about either of my for d vans it would have been that @#$%^&amp;*!! side door!</FONT><br>

As usually blkjak ..a great source of information.

Thanks for the links and help, gang.&nbsp; I'll check them out.<br><br>Safaribob<br><br>

Seraphim,<br><br>I will post something in the way of pics within a few days.&nbsp; You have a Class B as well, don't you?<br><br>Bob<br><br>

<P>Bob<BR><BR>Yes, and just last night I discovered I have a repair manual for Ford vans from mid-eighties to about 1996 *duh*. Forgot I had it. You still need to know how to remove the door handle?</P><br>When I get a few hours I want to do some photos and set up an info site on Class Bs, for those who may be interested.<BR><br>

Yes.&nbsp; Knowing how to take the handle off will help although I believe the problem lies with the cable system that runs from the back side of the interior handle to the latch mechanism.&nbsp; One mechanic told me that Ford used plastic components that break or wear out rather easily.&nbsp; <br><br>Who is the author/publisher of the manual?&nbsp; Maybe I can find and order the manual or one like it.<br><br>I remember looking at your RF site before--I like it!&nbsp; And am reminded you have a Falcon Class B.<br><br>I will post my pics under "Conversion Progress."<br><br><br>

It's a Chiltons manual, butn doesn't go into detail on the locking system. Looking at the door, the Intervec conversion simply has four sheet metal screws holding the panel in place, and there are two screws holding the cover over the handle. Once removed it should be easy to determine the problem; mechanism or cable.

Seraphim,<br><br>I was able to take apart the interior cargo door handle today.&nbsp; I credit your Chilton directions with urging me to take this on and Blkjak's reference to "stealership" as the reason to figure it out myself.&nbsp; There is a cable that runs from the handle up to the latch; the cable is balled at top and bottom and sheathed with plastic stays on both ends--the stays have broken.<br><br>Next up: see if Ford sells the cable only--I think I'll buy a spare since this one broke at only 39K.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Pics attached.<br><br>

Try some of the car parts store first. Generally cheaper. Might even be able to Jerry- rig. I used picture frame wire for cabling in my 78 Super Beetle.

I hear ya, man... and I sympathize. My e-350 has the same problems. The side doors would only open from the inside but not outside. (kinda good since security wise, it's pretty cool, but a pain since I have to reach the latch from the passenger door and open it that way all the time.)&nbsp;<div>I don't want to spend any money fixing it since I have decided this would be my "stage one" vehicle... I'll go all out with "stage two" which should be another vehicle of roughly the same size but higher... that's the one I want to seriously build on.</div><div><br></div>

I understand the reluctance to invest in the door fix better now.<br><br>As suggested I checked the local car parts store first (Napa is nearby).&nbsp; They have a substitute handle but referred me to Ford for the assembly.&nbsp; The closest dealer gave me a part number (on the phone) and cost of $72 + tax...definitely high for what I thought would be just the 14 inch sheathed cable balled on each end (2nd from left in pic below).&nbsp; I researched online but couldn't find the part measurably cheaper.&nbsp; I got over to the dealership today.&nbsp; The part # I received IS the whole assembly that includes my problem cable and of couse I can't just pull the new cable out of the new assembly due to the design of it--I must pull the existing assembly out and install the new.&nbsp; I studied how it works and was ready to do the uninstall but found that the latch is secured to the door by 3 Allen (hex) screws.&nbsp; I have 3 sets of wrenches but no exact match and am wondering if Ford requires a special tool.&nbsp; The condition of these screws suggest someone before me may have tried their hand at removal so I don't want to bugger them further.&nbsp; I'll think through the idea now of jerry rigging&nbsp; it but getting out quickly from the inside of this vehicle may be important at some point (think propane appliances) and I'm not sure my Macgyver-ing it is prudent.<br>

Thanks, 4 X 4!&nbsp; I'll see if Harbor Freight has some Torx sockets or wrenches.<br>

harbor freight sells an excellent set of torx 3/8 drive sockets for like 20 bucks. &nbsp;&nbsp;

Latest posts