Ford E350 high top - is this the one for me?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhawktx

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of automotive skills, but I have a line on a decent mechanic (Thanks Vivid Dawn!). This is a Kalifornia van with a partial conversion, which was brought to Utah and won't pass safety standards as-is. The current owner has a list of the recommended repairs (from the local Ford dealership), which seems to be straightforward. My gut tells me that even if I have to replace the motor this is a good start, as the body is in great shape and the hightop is a requirement considering my bad knees (I've been 'practicing' at van living by trying to do most things in the apt as if I had that van roof over my head. Oy! my knees! 

My question is, are my instincts correct or should I pass?

Thanks in advance!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5226754811.html

Attachments

• 00909_jHaa6SxerWY_600x450.jpg
    00909_jHaa6SxerWY_600x450.jpg
    29.6 KB
  • 00W0W_bSM3bqF2Ydd_600x450.jpg
    00W0W_bSM3bqF2Ydd_600x450.jpg
    29.1 KB
For $800 I would buy it. However I am not you, nor do I suggest you do so unless you are really ready to put a motor in it. It may not need a motor, but it may. His description of the noise sounds like power steering noise, but without hearing it I can't be sure. Resealing the gearbox is pretty easy, and if it is just the top and bottom seals can be done on the truck. No mechanic worth his salt is going to "tear things apart" to diagnose the noise, sounds like BS to me there. Have the fuel pressure checked with the vacuum hose removed and engine running. It should be 40-45 psi. I haven't done the oil pan gasket on a 460, but many ford trucks and vans can have the gasket changed while the engine is still in the truck. Some, like the 7.3 cannot; rather it is so much more of a PITA than it is to just pull the motor. The rest of the stuff is pretty easy and if not for the oil pan leak I might suggest buying it. You need the noise properly diagnosed, and you need the oil pan gasket checked with a solid quote for replacing it. Just my opinion without actually seeing the truck YMMV

i like everything except the 460.just cant recommend 8-10 mpg but if your up for a motor swap or plan to haul a trailer it's a very good start

Thanks for the thorough run-down ramblingvanman!

I'm in a Catch-22 where I can sell my current car and use the van as my full-time vehicle once it's repaired, freeing up a decent sum of money, but I need to have the money to buy and fix the van to do that. I can't afford to be without a vehicle at all, hence my conundrum.

That van needs more than a minor amount of work and money. How much do you have to spend on repairs vs getting one that doesn't need so much? Rust is like cockroaches, if you see some, there is more than you can see.

Most of what was on the list isn't that big until he hit on the engine knocking and then updated it and dropped the price. There may be a possibility that the shop told him more than he is letting on.

Quite similar to mine.  If this was originally a California vehicle it will have California emissions controls on it and it
could be the cause of the deep fast running sound on start up.  Mine has the 351 engine in it and does the same.
(after a minute or so it warms up and idles down to normal speed.

This has the big 460 engine like the Lincoln Continentals used.  I didn't know that they put those in them.
But it would probably get better fuel economy with the larger engine.  Mine has a 4 speed auto/overdrive.
I don't know if this one is equipped similarly or not.

Overall the Ford Econoline Van's get a pretty good rating.   Tires for it may cost $100 or more each if you shop
around and find  good prices on them.  Mine carry 55 psi in the front and 70 psi in the rear.  I got a rear door
mount to hang the spare on the left side. 

If this guy is panic-ing to sell it because he's afraid he has a lemon he may wind up giving away a decent vehicle.

I can't speak about "California pollution controls"  but I know they are more complicated than the other 49 states.  The oil can be changed to 10W40 and it may resolve the tapping. 

But if he drove it from California to Utah if should be sound.  The 5W30 motor oil may be a better grade for
colder weather.   But this is the first of this type of Van I've seen that was equipped with a 460 V8.   That would be good on western roads. 

Mine stands at 9 ft in height And it takes a bit of awareness when driving it so as not to run under something
low and bust the fiberglass top.

I'm sure you could probably sell it or even trade it if it doesn't meet your needs.  Just hang a for sale sign on it and park it near a Carpet Store where the guys who work there will notice it.

The only headache I can see with it is the dual fuel tanks. The fuel pump that switches the empty tank to the spare tank is known to not produce enough pressure to switch the two tanks when that pump is worn and needs replaced.   This leads to running out of gas with the spare tank full.   The fix for this is generally
visiting an Advanced Auto Parts store and getting an after market fuel pump to deliver fuel to the high pressure pump under the floor where the driver sits.  Once that's done the Van's run surprisingly well.
Most Ford mechanics are quite familiar with this issue.

But that's a price you could live with.   I know the carpet installers here are always trying to buy mine cause it could haul those large rolls of carpet while keeping it out of the rain.

He says he's had two folks back out on him without ever coming to see the vehicle. Rats! I think I may need to pass on this one. I have a line on an E150 without the high top for significantly more money ($1,500), but it's running, in great shape - and been van dwelt for the last year.

Good points eDJ!

if you can be patient there is a steady stream of vans hitting the market, check out the trading post section

If you're planning on spending much time inside the van, life without windows can be very depressing.

A wannabe van dweller is dumping this thing at a supposedly a huge loss. That would be a huge red flag for me.

I lub you guys!

Part of my sense of urgency is that my apt lease is up this month and I do NOT want to sign another lease at this pit. Provo is a college town so new digs are hard to come by for an old fart.

From $800 and needing repairs to $1500 and not needing them is a savings in my opinion, especially if you can't do without a vehicle and need it now. have the time, money and inclination to fix up the E350 and it may make a better truck in the long run.

What does it cost to do a high top on a van?

Donna,  I'd suggest this deal may be more of a "Seasoned Mechanics" gig.   One who can take it for a test drive and listen to all of these sounds and determine if it is running like it should be.  If you could find a Ford Mechanic
to hire to go check it out for you and then call you giving a go or no go vote on it.....it may be worthwhile.

I still think the present owner is in a panic running afraid of what he doesn't know.   A seasoned "Car Trader" would keep his cool and if he suspected there was issues would ask what he paid for it and let prospective
buyers haggle him down to say $1500.  (if it were to go below that the buyer would wonder what's wrong
with it)

As for rust, this is a 25 year old vehicle.  Mine has some rust breaking through.  The hoods of these are
notorious for rusting where it closes just above the grill.  Water always lays in there. 

Just saying........do you have any idea how many miles you would be driving such a Van as this one each year ?
Would you be parking it and living out of it more than driving it ?   It may get you through a couple of years
if that were the case.  If you have a small economy car to drive this could work. 

I notice the Van has a receiver hitch so if the car had a tow bar fitted to it you could tow the car behind it.when you relocate. 

I'm sure you could find a Ford mechanic you could hire to check it out for you.  People are blowing this off
just out of suspicion.  You need to drive it and act suspicious. 

Even if he drove it 5 1/2 hours back from California with 5W30 in it that wouldn't ruin the engine. He hasn't owned the Van long enough to know the sounds this engine is making when it's running normally.

But,  it's your call and money so you have to trust in yourself.   I'm only wanting to address what I see
going on in this situation.

Researching the forum looks like about $2,000 for a new high top and less than $1,000 for a U-pick and getting a saws-all.