ford 2.0 four cyl....might be 2.4 not shure

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsmn

Reaction score
I have recently bought a 2010 ford transit connect...the van ran like a dream when I test drove it and I bought it on the spot for 7000...however after I had it a short while it began to be noisy..Diesel like rattling noise mostly on startup...I was unable to get a clear reading on the dipstick...one time it looked good the next it was out of oil...the next it was massively over filled...it was as if the dipstick was dragging oil up into the tube causing oil to cover the stick when it was inserted and then smoke screening the actual level...it became much nosier on the way to Texas where I now live...took it to a ford dealer here and they drained the oil and found it was indeed over full by 2 and a half quarts...they removed the excess...they said it probably could benefit from a thicker oil...it has about 110000.miles so and I then added some marvel mystery oil...to remove sludge and clear plugged oil passages...then ran that for about 100 miles then dumped that and added the next viscosity grade up in synthetic oil and some stp concentrate to give better lube and pad the noisy stuff...here's the scary part...when I looked in the drain pan with the used oil in it...there were metal particles and a piece of what looked like a three quarter inch section of a broken piston ring...the bottom oil ring...might have been something else...don't know...but the end result is that it quieted down and now runs smooth again...you have to listen REALLY close to hear any ratteling at all...I have to return to Utah again to retrieve the rest of my stuff that I left there...wish me luck...will anyone who knows this engine please tell me anything that might shed some light on this ...I'm thinking I may be looking at an engine replacement which I can ill afford...PLEASE ...say it isn't so!!!...Damn

Metal in the oil is never good. Sorry to say you are driving a ticking time bomb. I hope you have towing insurance.

There should be a sticker on the underside of the that lists the engine size. Should be a 2.0 from my google search.

ratfink56 said:
Metal in the oil is never good. Sorry to say you are driving a ticking time bomb. I hope you have towing insurance.

There should be a sticker on the underside of the that lists the engine size. Should be a 2.0 from my google search.

It is the 2.0...and that's just what I'm afraid of...my major concern now is how long will it keep on ticking before I find myself thumbing it....and how much will a new engine cost..and where can I get it done the cheapest...things like that

I'd probably go with a used engine. The local salvage yards in my area do installs and usually at a fair rate. Used engines here have a 90 day warranty.

I've been a parts guy at a Chevrolet-Nissan dealer for 21 years. We have put in a bunch of used engines in during that time. I can only remember getting a bad one once. Of course the salvage yard made it right.

If you are thinking about the used engine route check out www.car-part.com.  It's a list of salvage yards all over the US and it looks like these engines fit other Ford vehicles and there are a ton of them out there.  Insurance companies total vehicles because the cost of repair is more than the replacement cost of the vehicle.

www.car-part.com