Forced onto the road..but where?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pom7756 said:
Hi there Matt...thank you!! Living in NW Florida and we love it. In fact...being near water will be high on our list. Unfortunately as we all know..that comes with a high price. We all have been boaters/sailers and there is a love for water for sure. Challenge #1

Thank you for the response.

Great point!   The landscape you are used to and enjoy plays a HUGE role in being happy where you settle, at least settle for a bit.  Like - you wouldn't want to end up in a Walmart parking lot, in Kansas during a snowstorm, in December would you?   I would't because I've done that... and it sucks.

Peace,

Matt

Matt
I've done that in Maine , it sucks here too !
pom
You'll find some nice free spots in Fla .
Don't forget to post pics !

Can we post pics in these threads just have to resize them pretty small or is there a special place for pics on the site.

Thanks!

Peace,

Matt

Spif,   perhaps you're right.  It's been awhile since I was in Kansas and Colorado.

I know that there is a lot of push back from the large Agricultural concerns about Cell coverage and it's interference with their methods of farming.   I listen to discussions on AgDay concerning this frequently.

The newer 40 channel CB's don't have the range of the old 23 channel sets.  I know a lot of Truckers in this
area who travel out west and they use higher powered linear amp's with  their sets.   I'm sure not everyone has
those though.

I think if I were out there I'd probably get my HAM license and join AARL.  Then join in a HAM Club where they
have a local repeater.  It isn't that hard of expensive any more to get a license.  (especially since Morris is no longer required)

There are so many places to stay for free in NorthWest Florida and nice places too, that's not including the obvious Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Lowes and Home Depot.
Lookup Florida Fish and Wildlife and find their forest dispersed camping that's FREE.
PM me and I will email you a PDF of all the free camping sites located just at Blackwater river and Yellow river. There are 6 I believe and you're allowed to stay 14 day (7 at some sites), no reservations needed. *I tried to find a way to attach the PDF here for everyone to grab, but I don't see a way.

There are also two other places just outside of Ponce de Leon, Tilly Landing and Dead River Landing, reservations required but still free. There are three places just outside of Apalachicola. Most of these places have picnic tables, fire rings as well as a porto-toilet, and the best part is they're beautiful...and free.
http://myfwc.com/   <This is their site - sometimes you need a reservation, sometimes you don't.

I met someone at Dead River landing a couple of weeks ago who had just come from Florida Fish and Wildlife's free sites in Inverness. He said it was beautiful. There are some sites I've been scoping out just above Port Charlotte, which is more central Florida. There are also many in the Everglades - you just have to do a little digging. These sites are hidden all over Florida, and I'm not sure how Florida keeps them such a secret (maybe not using any keywords on their websites or something), but they're there for the taking. They're not going to pop up on the freecampsites website for some reason, and these sites definitely won't pop up just by doing a "free camping" search for Florida.
There is also a lot of free camping sites above Pensacola, just across the Alabama state line in the Conecuh National Forest, there are at least 4 different free campgrounds - there are also many cheap electric sites there too.

As far as the rest of your questions/doubts, I think others have attended to those subjects better than I ever could.

Attachments

• Primitive Recreation Areas.pdf
    37.2 KB
I have so much going on right now my head is refusing to remember the max photo size ....
You can insert then into a post though!
I'll come back when I remember ..............................

The RV you choose MUST be self-contained.  If you want to camp free, this is an ABSOLUTE NECESSITY.  And the stuff has to work.  And make sure it doesn't leak.  If you have a trusted mechanic, have him inspect it for you -- it will be money well-spent.  If you don't know one, FIND ONE.

There is a pretty good book that I have right now from the library on an InterLibrary Loan (ILL): Camping America's Guide to Free and Low-Cost Campgrounds.  This one is the 15th edition/2014.  It is for sale at Amazon for $15 ($22 in bookstores).  Each state has a map, plus listed by nearest town.  The prices range from free to $12/day.  A Senior Federal Pass will save you half the cost at many of them.  It also tells you if overnight parking is allowed in the state rest areas in that state.  

Each entry gives info on:
* Directions to the campground
* Price, and variations
* What part of the year they're open (many open all year, dates can fluctuate esp in high-elevation and extreme weather areas)
* Number of days you can stay (most are 14 days)
* How many sites and what length limitation
* Elevation if it affects availability
* Facilities available (or not): tables, toilets (pit/vault/flush), showers, picnic shelters, campfire/grill, drinking water, bear boxes, electric, sewage dump, laundry, etc.
* Interesting stuff: boating, canoeing, swimming, beach, fishing, hunting (in season), hiking, rockhounding, interpretive programs, guided hikes, nature trails, scenic overlooks, cafe, store, historical interest, etc.

PRIMITIVE can range from just a campsite (nothing else) to a campsite with table, fire ring, drinking water, vault toilet.

It also tells you which states allow overnight parking in state rest areas (one night only).  Those states happen to be AK (unless otherwise posted), AZ, AR, CT (emergencies only), DE (allowed but not encouraged), IL (only on IL Toll Road- no facilities), IN (only on IN Toll Road- no facilities), KS, NV (unless otherwise posted), NM, NY (emergencies only), OH (only on OH Turnpike), OK, OR (14-hour limit), TX, VA, WY (some limitations).  If there are variations, they should be posted.

OK. First, with a bed ridden elderly person along, you are going to need reliable electric power for a/c as well as other needs. Boondocking and Walmart parking is probably not going to be for you. Look into the Thousand Trails yearly area memberships. Also look into Escapees, Passport, Good Sam and other discount clubs. That should help cut your park expenses. Also, look into parks with monthly or seasonal rates.

Your FIL is going to be a challenge. Does he really want to go and leave his familiar surroundings and doctors and activities? That can be traumatic for the elderly.

Stay away from class A's as most of them have steep stairs to get in. A class C or a trailer will have easier access for someone with limited mobility. A truck with a covered bed or a van will also give you more storage area for wheel chairs, etc., if you have a separate heavy battery operated model that you do not keep inside your living quarters.

Don't forget to check the shower or tub area. Be aware that you can often replace a setup that will not work for you FIL with a better one at a reasonable cost, but you need the room to do it without a major remodelling. You also need extra room so someone can be in room helping him.

Good luck. It does not sound easy, but it does sound like an adventure.

Elderly people do not handle heat well. They die by the hundreds in heat waves whenever there is a power failure.