FOR WOMEN ONLY: Solo women and protection/safety on the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going through my tool cabinet and found an old putty knife... or is it a paint scraper...?? -- it has a 3" flat blade and on the side is a curved area like for scraping a large pipe...?? where did I get this thingamajig...?? anyhow --- it looks like a mean little tool with both ends of the blade sharp for detailed work -- like a hook with accessories... fits nice in the hand, too. I think I could do some real damage with that thing if I had to... or at the least, leave enough DNA to... well... make it not worth anyone's while to mess with me.
I think I'll polish it up so it shines in the dark.

I can also use it to bang on a pan to scare the bears away.
Otherwise I'm a fairly nice person, all in all. Really, I am.

When I used to tent camp on the beach, I slept with a hatchet. My co-workers called me the Hatchet Lady. :rolleyes:

You do whatcha gotta do to feel and be safe!:;)

At one time I carried a "church key" (steel beer can opener) that had a nice wood handle on it giving it a good grip. It doesn't look like a weapon but it can be a nice little face scratcher if it came to it. It also offered the "poking" option. Much better than fingernails. Fit nice in the hand for walking to a car in the dark, whenever I found myself in that situation.

One advantage to fingernails, though, is that you will have their DNA for testing later. :dodgy:

It's taken me some work to not be too fatalistic about self-protection and my safety.

Don't have a dog, can't care for a dog, wouldn't have room for a dog. Car has no alarm system. Pepper spray would be lethal to me or nearly so due to a medical issue. Gun is off the table for now.

I do have a stun gun, though. They're like a Taser except require direct contact, and do not fire pins or insert into flesh/clothing.

For all their shortcomings as defensive weapons, stun guns appear remarkably well suited to attacks occurring inside a small car, where there's no advantage of distance to begin with anyway. I, er, tested it on a friend of mine. :p EXTREMELY strong deterrent. Not messy, no potential harm to passersby, very minimal legal or medical concern.

A concerned friend got me the cheap one I linked to, and honestly I'm not convinced there are any high quality ones out there on the market. If I was looking at the ideal stun gun to defend myself with I'd want:

• Wrist strap with disabling pin to prevent use against me
  • Clear charging indicators
  • Stun mode independent of flashlight on/off
  • (Ideal but optional) prongs concealed; appears as a regular flashlight

The one I've got has none of these. :p Some others I've seen have one but not the other features. I'd advise that it's really important to have the disabling pin to help prevent use against you if snatched away in a struggle. The concealed ones would be nice to use as regular flashlights and then can be weaponized if a problem arises, but only if the battery isn't too dead from flashlight use, and if you have to turn the flashlight off to stun then that can be problematic. The one I have, the flashlight has to be turned on for at least a split second before going into stun mode, which blows a cover if you're simply preparing to ward off an attack (e.g. person breaking in).

I've also got an Ila Dusk personal safety alarm. At the pull of a pin it lets out a shrill, ear-piercing recording of a woman screaming her head off. I've accidentally set it off a couple times, the battery only lasts 3 years without use and is non-rechargeable and non-replaceable. I can see this being most helpful for attacks in semi-public. Worn clipped to a belt loop, an attack from behind focused on silencing me would, I expect, be easily foiled/confused by yanking the pin to let rip some loud screaming. I wear headgear that interferes with being heard when talking, let alone screaming, so knowing this could be my "voice" if needed helps a little. Due to the nature of the battery though I can't say I really trust it as a reliable deterrent.

Similarly, my stun gun has no indication of what charge it's at, the packaging warns against damage from overcharging but if you fail to charge it sufficiently then you're outta luck in the moment of truth.

My dismal personal security simply means that when stealth parking I'll have to critique my concealment as if my life depended on it, because in a way, it just might. Making friends everywhere I go also helps, especially both the protective types and the types who know the "lay of the land" so to speak and can help me navigate the local surroundings in a manner that avoids and deescalates trouble. Being a disabled young woman means a lot of people instinctively feel protective of me, and much as my independent spirit wants to be all stubborn and "I can look out for myself", the practical side of me says I need to allow the natural flow of things to work in my favor when possible. No sense in making life harder than it needs to be.

Another factor that works in my favor is my car is TINY, and anyone larger than me is going to have a lot of difficulty getting in at all. I'm like a tiny little mouse hiding out in its burrow. :D Opening the passenger side door is greeted with a large dorm fridge and other such things, driver's side is the chair pushed forward and a large storage bin behind it. Without familiarity of the layout, anyone confronted with such a setup will have to take at least several seconds to adjust and re-figure a plan, which gives me time to react.

I still feel helpless and vulnerable. Parking in driveways of people I know for now helps a lot, but some locations like vacant lots with sketchy neighbors, not so much. The more I can do to prepare, though, the more confident I feel. Next on the list is to recruit someone to try the doors and attempt to lock pick while I'm inside, so I can mentally bookmark those sounds and see what else I might learn. Every bit of awareness improves my chances and confidence.

I was a police officer a million years ago so I'm quite comfortable with having/using a handgun. However, deadly force is never my first choice, I'm a big fan of quality pepper spray or bear spray, as well as having some self defense training. Just makes a gal feel safer if you know the basics of how to get out of a situation.

Queen, how do you know if you are getting 'quality" pepper spray? Also, when the stuff first became available to the public and you had to take a simple little "how to" course to get it, it was mentioned that it goes "bad" and has an expiration date. Are they better now, or do you still have to replace every so often? Is bear spray better? Lots of questions; sorry. I am not wanting to get a conceal carry permit.

KayakGirl said:
Queen, how do you know if you are getting 'quality" pepper spray? Also, when the stuff first became available to the public and you had to take a simple little "how to" course to get it, it was mentioned that it goes "bad" and has an expiration date. Are they better now, or do you still have to replace every so often? Is bear spray better? Lots of questions; sorry. I am not wanting to get a conceal carry permit.

By "quality" I'd go with a known manufacturer, and not the stuff that's $6 at the convince store. The ones that use a compressed cylinder are basically the same spray but the firing mechanism in the cheap ones are plastic and aluminum. Personally if prefer the ignition style like Kimber makes: http://store.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster-cat Very high quality from a top manufacturer.

As for bear spray, excellent stuff as you get quantity and distance, but can't be easily carried. So, great for the van/campsite (just don't ever fire from inside your van).

Cabelas offers a very decent line of personal defense products as well: http://www.cabelas.com/category/Personal-Defense/104496480.uts Just remember, whatever you get will be more helpful if you get some training to go with it, lots of local police departments offer free or almost free training.

Hope that helps.

I often hike alone. Not worried about other people. Don't know why. I just never have been. I have begun to get nervous about animals, lately, tho. Always carry bear spray when I am out alone and usually take the dog. Thinking about taking up DH'S offer of a gun. I hate that. It means one more thing to schlepp around and hours of wasted time at a safety class and a shooting range so I can learn to hit something with it. I was a crack shot with DH'S old rifle, but I have always been a crap shot with a pistol. There's no point to dragging it along if I can't hit a barn from the inside with it.

Anyway, is there a preference in types or models among you?

Models of guns? Absolutely; if you're inexperienced go with a revolver. A semi automatic takes a lot of practice to become proficient with in a crisis. A simple .38 with a 4" barrel unless you want to conceal it on your person, then an ultralight snub. I'm a fan of Smith and Wesson, but almost any decent manufacturer makes a good revolver.

If you ask this same question of a "gun guy" you may get a very different response. Mine is based on teaching a lot of women to shoot, and knowing how simple is better in times of stress.

Yes, DH and son are gun guys. I'm not. Simple is good. If I ever have to use it, I definitely expect stress to be a factor. I don't suppose concealing it would be a consideration. I only want it for solo hiking. Anything that hides it would make it that much more difficult to get at.

Revolvers are stone axe simple, load, point, pull trigger. It still takes training to learn to safely and effectively operate one, but the learning curve and the ongoing practice is not as intensive as with a semi auto. Not sure where you live and what the requirements are for your state, your DH and son can point you in the right direction there. Also, buying used will save you money if that's a consideration.

Also, if you live/travel near salt water much, consider looking for one in stainless, much less maintenance.

Looks like I will be using DH'S 45. I can carry it around in AZ, but they can't sell me one. They would have to send it to a dealer in FL and have son pick it up.

The guys were shooting with a 38 super automatic at our friend's farm a few years ago. DH told me to fire as many shots into a milk bottle as fast as I could. I hit the bottle with number 1. By the time I reached the end, I was shooting the treetops.

Hopefully that won't happen with a revolver.

I have read that simply carrying a very sturdy walking stick can be a deterrent.  I would want something that I could easily hit them in the balls with.  Hard.