FOR WOMEN ONLY---Oil and Tire Pressure Checks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anewbiewannabe

Reaction score
So, I went to AutoZone today to get oil and filter to change the oil. I was going to pick up antifreeze too so I'd have the right kind---the guy behind the counter went to the shelves instead of looking it up on the computer and he really didn't have a clue so I didn't get any. I didn't have a clue either since for years I went to the dealer for that---I'm just not up for losing a whole day to drive to my dealer and sit around this time, plus the cost. Did a bunch of research online tonight and found the right non-dealer antifreeze so I can go back and get it later.

Found a great tool bag while I was waiting. Room enough for my socket sets box and little air compressor and lots more. :D

Anyhow, it got me thinking. For one thing, my daughter has no clue about the routine stuff a car owner needs to do or how often. So, I was curious to find out how often other women check or have their oil checked and check on their fluid levels? Older vehicles really need more frequent oil checks since eventually many burn oil.

So, how bout it? How often do you check your oil or fluids or tire pressure?

anewbiewannabe said:
 So, I was curious to find out how often other women check or have their oil checked and check on their fluid levels?  Older vehicles really need more frequent oil checks since eventually many burn oil.

So, how bout it? How often do you check your oil or fluids or tire pressure?

As often as needed which is entirely dependent on the vehicle.

The Montana I'm using as a daily driver right now doesn't use any oil between oil changes. After checking it regularly when I first got it, I have confidence that it doesn't need to be checked. The brake fluid on it is in a place that is nigh onto impossible to check without ripping a shroud off....I let the guys check it when the oil is being changed... :)

When the Beast goes on the road, I'll be checking the fluid levels about every gas fill up until I know what she behaves like. If anything is excessive, she'll go back to my mechanic for a fix. For the mileage on her, she shouldn't be using any oil at all!

Tire pressure, I'll admit I don't check it as often as I should except to look at the tires. I've driven long enough that I'm pretty good at noticing any change. When I drove the Class A, the tires were checked before every long road trip and on the road as well, mostly because I couldn't tell from just looking at them or kicking them!

BTW, it's important to invest in a good tire pressure gauge, do NOT rely on the ones' attached to the air fill posts at the gas station. It's not a bad idea to have your own tire pressure gauge compared to the one at the tire shop just to get an idea. If the good professional one says 45 psi and yours' says 48, you know yours is out a bit and can adjust accordingly.

I check all my vehicles fluids (oil, radiator, transmission, brake, window wash) and tire pressure. When I was in the moho it was once a week or every time I moved a distance over 100 miles. In my car, I am pretty lax, too lax, really. But when they're checked it's me doing the checking. That's as far as it goes, though. I don't mind paying someone to do the real work.

On both my car, lots of miles but newer, and my van older and lots of miles, I check the oil faithfully, usually when I fill up. I have it changed faithfully, my parents hammered into me it is a cheap thing to do to keep the vehicle happy. I check my tire pressure, usually as weather changes, not often enough probably. I would like to learn to change my own oil. My tires ,usually snow ones on for 3-4 months, then all seasons on the rest of time, I put so many miles on my car a month that I usually am getting the oil changes way before 3 months, so everything is also checked then. AND I will add, after those quick change oil places, I had a horrible experience on the road in Florida and so now after I get my oil changed, I go home and check it again. Peace!