For those who read this other site...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4tour

<A href="http://vandwellers.org/isolator/index.html" target=_blank><FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3>http://vandwellers.org/isolator/index.html</FONT></A><br><FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3>I happen to view a topic, after reading that Katie was having electrical problems, and after fabricating 4 door panels for my own project. </FONT><br><FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3>PLEASE, please, please, don't "crimp" wires how he does it (with pliers) in the photos.&nbsp; All it does is "press" the connection together, and it WILL eventually loosen up and overheat inside the connection; due to lack of a proper crimp's tightness/lock.&nbsp; I've seen it happen.&nbsp;Buy&nbsp;a&nbsp;6 dollar crimp tool, a box of various size crimps (4, 10, 12 and 14 gauge are most popular), and&nbsp;it will last you for years.&nbsp; </FONT><br><FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3>I didnt want to offend anyone over there, but&nbsp;I thought it was my duty to&nbsp;give advice about an obvious safety issue... &nbsp;</FONT><br><br><br>

<P>You're spot on 4x4tour. I use that tool already myself and it's great. Makes for very neat and clean looking connections as well.</P>

<P><FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3><BR><BR>If you go to that website you posted and zoom over the top part of the tool, you'll see the red, yellow, blue dots.&nbsp; Unfortunately, THAT TOOL also just "presses" the insulated crimps, whereas underneath that, is the non-insulated portion (you'll see the point) that should also be present for crimping the colored crimps, but its not for some odd reason... A good crimper will crimp with the point, AND not damage the plastic cover. </FONT></P><FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3>The fact that they are separate, indicates (to me, imho) cheap quality and shouldnt be used.&nbsp;My crimpers have the point for insulated AND insulated crimps (see pic).&nbsp; This is VERY IMPORTANT.&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR><BR>I go through the cheaper ones often, due to the handles breaking while sqeezing larger crimps.&nbsp; I already had to bandage this last pair...lol <BR><BR>Don't get the slip on red rubber handled ones.&nbsp; They slide off all the time and slit themselves in one day of heavy use.&nbsp; The molded plastic handled ones are better.&nbsp; <BR><BR>I believe I got this last pair at Harbor Freight or Kragen/Oreilly, I forget.&nbsp;<BR><BR>AJ<BR><BR></FONT><BR><BR>