For those that do take a firearm with you...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be pretty good with a gun, until my boys got old enough to shoot, so I never really had the time or desire to shoot much, as it became a really good father son hobby
I got my CCL about 5 years ago and now carry a Ruger LCR 22.  Usually carry in my purse.  Honestly I don't like either, the revolver or the purse carry.  So been keeping my eyes open.  Wanting a small handgun & comfortable concealed body carry option

My favorite by far is my 1911 (actually my favorite 3) but my go-to is my CZ-75B in .40 cal. It is probably the perfect round, and the CZ is extremely reliable. It's a full-frame that I can comfortably conceal carry, but unfortunately it's "iffy" in many states. Here in FL it's not a problem but the M37 will be the one that goes with us when we travel. I'm working on a one-gun safe for storing it when away from the trailer. Won't protect against anything more than a "smash 'n grab" but it will be better than nothing.

highdesertranger said:
unless you are talking grizz or a mouse on meth I think a .357 is fine.  highdesertranger

Well, actually, yes, Grizzly Bears are a consideration as Northern Montana is one of my hoped destinations.  
(didn't someone recently get killed by a Grizzly in Glacier National Park?)  :s

Steve in Micco said:
My GP is an early model from back when you could get it with fixed sights (my preference). 

I bought mine at least 17 years ago.  I didn't realize you couldn't get them with fixed sights anymore...  Bummer.

BigT said:
I also had a Ruger 9mm semi-auto, but I never liked it.  I much prefer the simplicity, form and reliability you get from a revolver.  

Since my only planned use for a gun at this point in my life is for trips to wilderness areas (BLM land), I'm wondering if perhaps I should up to a .44 magnum wheel-gun.  

I sold guns at a Gander Mountain for a few years, which gave me a chance to dry fire pretty much everything.  The Ruger semi-autos had terrible triggers, among the worst I tried.

If you can find a Beretta 92D or 96D (DAO) you will find they are just like shooting a double action revolver.  Very nice, but not common or easy to find.

.44 magnum for bear, certainly.  But heavy and more gun than you need for cougar or wolves.  .357 should be fine for either of those.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
If you can find a Beretta 92D or 96D (DAO) you will find they are just like shooting a double action revolver.  Very nice, but not common or easy to find.

.44 magnum for bear, certainly.  But heavy and more gun than you need for cougar or wolves.  .357 should be fine for either of those.

The only reason I went with the 9mm I did (I think it was a P-95) is because I shoot left handed and the Ruger had the magazine release on both sides of the grip.  It was one of those designs with the metal slide and the rest made out of plastic or some kind of polymer.  
It was pretty lightweight, but not very accurate.

There's just something about revolvers, aesthetics mostly, I prefer.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I guess that I'll be getting a youth 20 guage to replace the Mossberg 12 gauge that will be given to Hubby. I was talking to #2 son today and told him about my planned purchace and he said "Oh Ma, if you want something short, just get yourself a Taurus Judge-it won't bother your shoulder at all!"

I told him "thank you, I'll keep my baby Glock", along with the new shotgun.
Ted.

WalkaboutTed said:
  I guess that I'll be getting a youth 20 guage to replace the Mossberg 12 gauge that will be given to Hubby.

Hi Ted,
I think you will be satisfied with the youth 20 gauge.  I am petite and a lightweight & hardly notice the recoil.  On the other hand, I don't hunt fowl.  For that I would have chosen the synthetic stock.   \

When I buy ammo over the counter I've learned to check every box carefully.  Those guys behind the counter just automatically grab the 12 gauge shells!  I found six boxes of 12 gauge I'd had for months without noticing.
Hope it works for you.

Best wishes,
Charlotte

Most of the time I carry a small .38 special S&W snub-nose revolver. It's not a perfect choice but I can conceal it better than any other gun and it's very comfortable. In colder months I try carry a Glock 17 when I can. It's hard to beat Glock reliability, safety features and a 17 (+1) round magazine. 
Honestly, any gun is better than no gun. A Glock is just about an ideal choice for self defense while carrying. I would never carry a 1911 because of it's grip safety lever, a separate safety level and a low capacity magazine.
I always bring a Winchester 1300, 12 Ga pump shotgun with me in the trailer, especially when we boon-dock. It's hard to beat a shotgun and it can take down any animal in North America.

I am in AK which is constitutional carry. I carry Rugar LC9s for typical carry.  I carry  1911 in 45 in a chest holster when in wild.  I have a 12 ga pump in a pistol grip but legal length I carry on pack in scabbard when hiking.  My son says 45 is to light which is why he gave it to me. He carries a SW 500 also on chest rig.  It is just to heavy for me.  Without trying to irritate anyone the 9 is for general carry of a self protection  nature.  The 12 and 45 are for the wild protection.  I haven't needed either yet and hope I never do.  My son's 500 throws a big hunk of lead.

I once had a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special I liked quite a bit. It would cover most the bases.
If I were in AK, that short 12 pump on a back pack sounds reasonable, if I load my own.
wheels

I prefer a W-80 warhead with a 200KT yield.

It's the only way to be sure.

I have a Sig P226 in 9mm that lives unloaded in a case, inside a gear bag, on the floor, under a backpack, two tarps and a hat, which shows how necessary I think it is in my life. In the 22 years I've owned it the only things I've ever shot with it are targets and other inanimate objects that didn't need to be shot. I'm only holding onto it for when it's time for me to check out.

TrainChaser said:
Lenny, wouldn't you say that was 'overkill'?

TC, don't worry about Lenny.  Anyone who knows how to make home brew can't be all bad.  Even if he does call it Viking Piss.

Lenny will be just fine.  Once he learns how to keep his powder dry.

rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

S&W 357 mag and Mossberg 12 ga 500. Very reliable and enough power for any "varmint" in most of the USA. If it is a charging moose, I just need to find somewhere else to be lol

Ballenxj said:
 I kind of like my Mossberg 500 with 18 inch barrel and standard Black polymer stock. It's been reliable.

That's what I've got too.  Solid gun.  Had it for over 27 years.  Mine has the 18" barrel and pistol grip, so it's nice and compact.  
Been thinking about getting a tactical butt-stock for it though, just to make it a little more accurate.  

Lately I've been reading that bird shot, maybe #6, makes a good home defense load.  Less chance of it passing your target and hitting someone else in another room / building / car.

Here's an interesting review of a Sarsilmaz SR38.
While I may likely choose the Ruger SP101, my final
decision will come later.  Meantime, I am still open
to alternatives.  This 357/38 revolver has a tempting
price tag & a lot of good features.

I would not consider this for CC, but it might be a good
ranch carry.  If anyone has knowledge/experience with this
revolver I'd like to know what you think.  (Even If you've
never heard of this manufacturer, please check it out &
offer a comment.)

Thanks,
:rolleyes: Charlotte

I like that there are more choices in revolvers these days. That Sarsilmaz reminds me of the Ruger GP100. I'd probably look for a used GP100 vs a new, unknown revolver, though. I'd be concerned on where to get it serviced and the durability shooting 357 loads. I'm not a fan of that black finish, either, but that's pretty minor consideration for what you'd use it for...

There is plenty of fine guns out there both inexpensive and "how much". The real secret to them is practice. Shooting a gun accurately is muscle memory and with out occasional practice the memory fades. I cc either a Ruger lcp or a KelTec p11 depending on the temperature, the p11 prints too much in light clothes. Also keep a Norinco 98 next to the bed. Yes it's a Chinese 870 but it is very reliable. A Blackhawk recoil stock made it real easy on the shoulder especially with 00 and slugs.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

hay lenny flank why not try doing some ride along's with a couple police agancys. in the "bad" part of there citys.

i am not a leo, but being on there "outside" i do know they have to put up with true bad people, that we "regular" folk will never have to deal with.

my hats off to any leo who has had to put up with the (*) in our society.